• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving: The Youkai Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
I used to work in a college bookstore, and yeah, the prices of a lot of these books are a total joke. The only reason they move any copies is because those specific books are required for class (no you can't make do with earlier editions or other books on the same subject, even if the general information is the same all the questions/assignments the professor uses for the class are different!). A lot of professors are starting to use the internet more and more these days, I even had some classes that didn't require any books at all, which should give the publishers of these insanely priced academic books a minor heart attack.

That being said, if you want to buy an academic book cheap, the best way to do that is to find a college that has a class that requires the book you are looking for. Wait until after the semester/quarter, and buy the book off of one of the students. I can tell you from experience that the majority of students resell their books to someone after they no longer need them for class, and even if you gave $30 for a $90 book it is still WAY more than they would get selling it to a reselling company (It's just like with video game resellers, they pay you $5 and then put it on the shelf for $40, you would be better off selling directly to another person for bout $30, and you BOTH benefit by cutting out the middle man)...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting article. I must have missed that past column. Good to see that Shigeru Mizuki work is getting a chance to be released here. I'll have to put this on my list of recommendations for our library collection.

I also need to get on requesting some of those Mechademia books. I work for a college library. 90$? That is pretty steep. Too steep if it not worth it. If I were to recommend that book I'd be laughed at and I'd have to give a good reason as to why it's relevant to our collection. I wish that there was more material (academia) of this nature out there that explores the history behind the horror genre in both film and printed medias.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of youkai, so this article was a real treat. Thanks for all the book suggestions and article links, these are going to keep me very busy… and very happy!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Well wha'dya know, I clicked on the article links to read the previews and it turns out that my college automatically gives me access to the full articles! I'll be sure to read those later then, I really like folk tale stories (be they European fairy tales or manga) so I'd welcome any discussion on them.
feynico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering if Papp's book was worth the price--for an academic book, $90 isn't actually that steep. Looks like I'll be adding it to my collection soon.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
feynico wrote:
I've been wondering if Papp's book was worth the price--for an academic book, $90 isn't actually that steep.
Certainly more reasonable than some of those $100-200 books from publishers like Routledge. (I was recently looking at a book that was "only" $135 for the Kindle edition, and that was less than the print version. What a bargain!)
Ahab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
Holy cow! FINALLY a bit of recognition towards the legend that is Mizuki Shigeru! He is probably the most ignored mangaka in human history, at least, that's how it feels!

I actually own pretty much everything he's done because I have long given up any and all hopes of his works ever getting an official release in English.

I have heard several times over the years, that Mizuki actually doesn't want his work translated into English. Particularly his work regarding Yokai. I don't know how true this is but I have heard this same rumor from several people, two of whom actually know him personally.

To be honest, I can't say I blame him, with his most important work "Gegege no Kitaro" being mis-translated into the godawful sounding "Spooky Kitaro"....
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
I actually own pretty much everything he's done because I have long given up any and all hopes of his works ever getting an official release in English.

I have heard several times over the years, that Mizuki actually doesn't want his work translated into English. Particularly his work regarding Yokai. I don't know how true this is but I have heard this same rumor from several people, two of whom actually know him personally.

I guess you missed the the bit where it was mentioned that D&Q are bringing out two of his works next year?
Ahab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Ahab wrote:

I guess you missed the the bit where it was mentioned that D&Q are bringing out two of his works next year?

No, Of course I didn't miss that. It's great news!

But it must have taken A LOT of negotiating to get that two titles they have acquired.
And like I said, it's not work from any of his Yokai catalog, nor will it ever be so, people holding out for Gegege should probably just learn Japanese and buy the originals.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
You mention that Papp played a yôkai extra in The Great Yokai War. So did Yoda Hiroko and Matt Alt who wrote Yokai Attack! The Japanese Monster Survival Guide.

For those who can handle French there is one of Mizuki's yôkai guides in that language:

Yôkai: Dictionnaire des Monstres Japonais
(2 volumes, available slipcased)

Amazon Canada stocks it.

I'll take the time here to do a shameless plug in that I am adding many yôkai to the Anime Companion Supplement on the web. The list of what I have so far is at:

http://www.koyagi.com/ACPages/subjects.html#CultYokai

I have about 30 more lined up to do and expect to add others beyond that.

Last edited by Gilles Poitras on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
You mention that Papp played a yokai extra in The Great Yokai War. So did Yoda Hiroko and Matt Alt who wrote Yokai Attack! The Japanese Monster Survival Guide.

For those who can handle French there is one of Mizuki's yokai guides in that language:

Amazon Canada stocks it.

I'll take the time here to do a shameless plug in that I am adding many yokai to the Anime Companion Supplement on the web. The list of what I have so far is at:

Nice resource; thanks for the link!

and extra awesome points to you for not spelling Yokai with a "u".
I hate it when people do that!
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yep, spelling yôkai as youkai is an alternative way of indicating long vowels. A leftover from the days when most typewriters and computers could not do macrons or circumflexes.

But it works quite poorly for many Japanese words.

Imagine spelling Fudô-Myôô that way, it would be Fudou-Myouou, looks weird.
feynico

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:

For those who can handle French there is one of Mizuki's yôkai guides in that language:

Amazon Canada stocks it.

Thanks for this info! My French is a bit dodgy, but I've been meaning to work on it, and the price is definitely fantastic for the two volumes. Off to exercise my credit card now . . .

-Niko
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:

I read that yōkai dictionary by Mizuki in the original. The Japanese edition of the dictionary has a sequel volume which deals with yōkai like Aoandon, Ubume, etc..
Does the French edition cover not only the yōkai that are dealt with in the Japanese yōkai dictionary but also the yōkai that are done in its sequel?

Gilles Poitras wrote:
I'll take the time here to do a shameless plug in that I am adding many yôkai to the Anime Companion Supplement on the web. The list of what I have so far is at:

http://www.koyagi.com/ACPages/ack.html#kasshiyawa
http://www.koyagi.com/ACPages/acr.html#rokurokubi

If you study the supernatural in Japan, I'd like to suggest to you that you should read Kasshiyawa, which you wrote about in the Anime Companion Supplement.
Matsura Seizan wrote:
先年能勢伊予守訪ひ來て話せし中に、世に轆轤首と謂ふもの、實に有りとて語れり。末家能勢十次郎の弟を源藏と云ふ。かれ性强直、拳法を西尾七兵衞に學ぶ。七兵衞は御番衆にして十次郎の婚家なり。源藏師且親戚を以て常に彼の家に留宿す。七兵衞の家に一婢あり。人ろくろくびなりといへり。源藏あやしみて、家人にその事を問ふに違はず。因て源藏その實を視んと欲し、二三輩と俱に夜その家にいたる。家人かの婢の寢るを待ちてこれを告ぐ。源藏往きて視るに、婢こゝろよく寢て覺めず。已に夜半を過れども、未だ異なることなし。やゝありて婢の胸のあたりより、僅かに氣をいだすこと、寒晨に現る口氣の如し。須臾にしてやゝ盛に甑煙の如く、肩より上は見えぬばかりなり。視る者大いに怪しむ。時に桁上の欄間を見れば、彼の婢の頭欄間にありて睡る。その狀梟首の如し。視る者驚駭して動くおとにて婢転臥すれば煙氣もまた消え失せ、頭は故の如く、婢尚よくいねて寤めず。就て視れども異なる所なしと。源藏虛妄を言ふものにあらず、實談なるべしとなり。また世の人の云ふ、轆轤首はその人の咽に必ず紫筋ありと。源藏の云ふところを聞くに、この婢容貌常人に異なる所なし。但面色靑ざめたり。またこの婢の斯の如くを以て、七兵衞暇をあたへぬ。時に婢泣いて曰く、其奉公に緣なくして、仕ふる所すべてその期を終へず、皆半にして此の如く、今また然り、願はくば期を完うせんと乞ひしかど、彼の怪あるを以て聽入れず。遂に出しぬ。彼の婢は己が身のかくの如きは露しらぬこととぞ。奇異のことも有るものなり。予年頃轆轤首と云ふもののことを訝しく思ひたるに、この實事を聞きぬ。これ唐に飛頭蛮と謂ふものなり。

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1