• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Action Comedy TV Anime Needless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

As for Jessica Boone, uhh she
s been in 2 most recent Sentai releases "X'amd" and "Cannan". You haven't heard from her? She's still around.

Almost forgot about that Razz

But I'm personally not surprised that Section23 would use Funimation regulars, as the geography is very close together. However, I don't recall any Section23 dubs where Vic Mignogna, Travis Willingham, or Laura Bailey is in it (maybe they did worked with ADV in the past, but not Section23/Sentai).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It probably has less to do with Sentai picking people and more to do with if voice actor X needs money for groceries and takes it where he or she can get it because there's a choice of more than one company around where they're located.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I'll be getting it, regardless of its pricing. Been interested in it for a while now, though never seen it before, but have read it in manga.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
People are acting like this is something new and mind-blowing from Sentai Filmworks. Take a look at Legends of Dark King, Canaan and the Xam'd half sets. It is standard BD pricing for them for 12-13 episode sets. It could be much worse.

I don't think those comparisons work since those aren't half sets, they're the entire show. I would expect the entire show being released from the get go to cost more than half a show, even though they are the same amount of episodes.

configspace wrote:
That's just the SRP. Xam'd BD set 2 SRP is also $70, yet amazon is currently selling it for $41

Why do people always think MSRP doesn't matter just because they don't pay it? So yes, Xamd is only $41 right now, but it's also being discounted a whopping 41%, the equivalent of a Rightstuf studio sale. Let's compare this to Casshern Sins, another show released as half BD sets. At 41% off, CS is $9 cheaper. It's cheaper because the MSRP is $15 lower. Heck, at the standard 25% off at Rightstuf, CS is still cheaper by 26 cents even though Xamd has the larger discount. MSRP matters even though you don't pay it because it affects the overall price after a sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
XDDDDD

Kid you not, driving home from work tonight, popped in a mix CD at random and "Modern Strange Cowboy" started it off. I couldn't help but think "you know, Needless would be a great anime for Sentai to license."

It really does suit them well. Great pickup, Sentai!

EDIT: Brett Weaver for Blade. Accept no substitutes.

Last edited by Splitter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Score one for ADV Fi-- I mean, Sentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Sarkozy wrote:
People are acting like this is something new and mind-blowing from Sentai Filmworks. Take a look at Legends of Dark King, Canaan and the Xam'd half sets. It is standard BD pricing for them for 12-13 episode sets. It could be much worse.

I don't think those comparisons work since those aren't half sets, they're the entire show.

Xam'd is 26 episodes long, so yeah...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
$70 for 12 Blu-Ray episodes is not that expensive, sorry to say. In years past, that same MSRP might have gotten you as few as 6 DVD episodes in a singles release. Dub aside, subtitles that aren't ridiculously low on the screen and filled with joke notes / wonky grammar are definitely worth it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
And it's still totally less than R2 blu-ray prices anyway.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
$70 for 12 Blu-Ray episodes is not that expensive, sorry to say. In years past, that same MSRP might have gotten you as few as 6 DVD episodes in a singles release. Dub aside, subtitles that aren't ridiculously low on the screen and filled with joke notes / wonky grammar are definitely worth it.

Last time I checked my calendar it was the year 2010, almost 2011. We aren't in the early to mid 2000's anymore and there are new rules when it comes to releasing anime in North America. This is like comparing the NFL of today to the NFL of 10 years ago, it's just too different. So you can keep using your imaginary time machine to live in the past, but I'll stay in the present looking at the future. So where you are, that is cheap, but from where I'm at, that price is a good bit above the bar Funimation has set with their BD releases.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Its obvious this title was dubbed while the contract was being drawing up by the licensor.
How would that be possible?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I demand Crispin Freeman as Adam Blade.
Offer to pay the costs to make the dub union and pay for Freeman's role and maybe it will happen. (No, really, try it if you've got a few thousand extra. I want to know how Section23 responds to the offer.)

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
As for Jessica Boone, uhh she
s been in 2 most recent Sentai releases "X'amd" and "Cannan". You haven't heard from her? She's still around.
I thought she moved and got out of dubbing! Shocked Cannan's on the list anyway so. . . .

guitarist52692 wrote:
I'm really surprised Needless got licensed. I mean, I'm a fan, but the lolicon fanservice is very rampant, I figured that would kill any chance of NA release. Guess I was wrong though, hopefully their release is of good quality.
Fans appear to worry more about this than the corporate suits do.

Really though, loli fanservice has been present in numerous series for years. I think the fear of the fanservice alone preventing licenses really started up back when the Kodomo no Jikan/Nymphet debacle happened. (And Funi's ill-advised initial claim to be considering censoring Dance in the Vampire Bund's release which isn't supposed to happen after all. Of course that could have been a plan to use negative fan reaction to convince elements in favor of censoring to change their minds.

Also though I have never heard of this show before this announcement (law school is time-consuming) I now must buy it. English dub and lolicon fanservice? Yes please. Anime catgrin

Yeah, I'm a fan of fanservice but at least I'm honest! Wink

The King of Harts wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So where you are, that is cheap, but from where I'm at, that price is a good bit above the bar Funimation has set with their BD releases.
The two companies are not analogous.

While I've made numerous statements against sub-only releases because I believe they create an inherent limit on the number of potential consumers, the reasons for the strategy have rational basis in corporate reality. So too do differences in price structure. Section23 isn't in the same financial shape as Funimation so having higher prices on products they consider higher risk (which they consider hybrid releases to be due to the added costs) makes logical sense. Section23 can't spread their risk across as titles the way Funimation can.

Of course, no one who puts in even a little effort will pay full price regardless for this release so I think you're a bit off attacking the price. It's lower than in the past despite the company having a greater need for income, inflation driving costs up and the general decline in the market. Frankly I find the claim it's too expensive to be a bit off.

If all else fails, you can always wait for a used copy to pop up on the secondary market or for a gift-giving holiday or just a sale.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Considering how this was one of the worst selling anime in Japan the year it came out, I'm sure this was a cheap license for Sentai.

Hope it does well for them, so they can be able to license more stuff.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
I demand Crispin Freeman as Adam Blade.
Offer to pay the costs to make the dub union and pay for Freeman's role and maybe it will happen. (No, really, try it if you've got a few thousand extra. I want to know how Section23 responds to the offer.)

Okay, thank you everybody. I get it. It's not gonna happen. Please stop crushing my dreams now. Rolling Eyes
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering how this was one of the worst selling anime in Japan the year it came out, I'm sure this was a cheap license for Sentai.

Hope it does well for them, so they can be able to license more stuff.

Doesn't sound too surprising, as Needless pretty much makes fun of a lot of the stuff we have in anime nowadays, yet somehow also embraces them at the same time. But the fact that it's making fun of a lot of it probably turned some buyers off in Japan.

Gratuitous yuri fanservice? Well, there's a girl squad, but the most you'll ever see a yuri fanservice is the footage that plays during the first ending theme. Well, there's also one giant tease throughout an early episode, but that's it.

Badass hero? Yeah, Adam Blade's badass, but he's also a hardcore lolicon... Which is kind of uncomfortably odd.

Useless young main character? Let's just say that he' so useless that barely anyone even calls him by his actual name.

Nevetheless, Needles is excellent and a definite purchase from me. Also, it is "God's Anime", afterall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5