• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's Hoshi o Ou Kodomo Film Teaser Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
swienke wrote:
Maybe it's just the character designs and the fantasy-ish setting, but this one seems almost Ghibli-esque.

It couldn't be the girl falling into the dilapidated mine with a glowing blue pendant, could it?

Is that from a Ghibli movie? I'll admit that I've only seen a couple of Miyazaki's movies in full, so that particular sequence is unfamiliar to me.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
dm wrote:
swienke wrote:
Maybe it's just the character designs and the fantasy-ish setting, but this one seems almost Ghibli-esque.

It couldn't be the girl falling into the dilapidated mine with a glowing blue pendant, could it?

Is that from a Ghibli movie? I'll admit that I've only seen a couple of Miyazaki's movies in full, so that particular sequence is unfamiliar to me.

Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

Also see: Nadia, Secret of Blue Water
divinemango

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
It could be just me, but the worlds in Shinkai's movies have all been characterised by both extreme surrealism as well as stark realism. They are unmistakably foreign, yet so eerily immersive (deja-vu-tastic) and unforgettable that I've found myself occasionally looking at a sunset and wondering if I'm still somewhere in the world of Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho. So I'm mildly saddened by the fact that we're having a Ghibli setting this time.

I can already see people making all sorts of hyperbolic comparisons with that other director, and people refuting said comparisons, and so on... Safe to say it is unproductive and only ruins everyone's enjoyment, as people are passionate about both.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is Kanemoto Hisako (Ika Musume from Shinryaku! Ika Musume and Kanata from So-Ra-No-Wo-To) the one who spoke in the beginning of the trailer? If it is, then...SIGN ME UP!!! Very Happy
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Is it just me, or is Kanemoto Hisako (Ika Musume from Shinryaku! Ika Musume and Kanata from So-Ra-No-Wo-To) the one who spoke in the beginning of the trailer? If it is, then...SIGN ME UP!!! Very Happy

Yes. And she's quickly becoming one of my favorite new VA's.

I never thought I'd get interested in a Shinkai movie because of a female seiyuu casting decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3