• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection II: Outbreak!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, PAS doesn't have bad animation, its just a bad show, when I see GAINAX, I see some of the best animation, story, and overall feel that anime has got to give (Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Diebuster, etc) and you know I'm all for uniqueness, but this feels more like GAINAX is in trouble and needs to pay bills then GAINAX's next great project.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy Tactics is basically an Ogre Battle game (the staff was helmed by a lot of former Quest members before Square Enix bought the rest of Quest), which is why I don't see it as that unique. Hopefully the new remake will cause Square Enix to look into Ogre Battle as a franchise that can continue.

uh Zac?

They got through 26 episodes out of 64 then stopped because they ran out of dubbed episodes. Also Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has been much better received than the original Fullmetal Alchemist, ANN's fans have rated it as the second highest rated anime, while MAL has rated it as the top anime by over .08 points.
Modandrocker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I totally enjoyed Redline! I saw it in the Minneapolis Asian Film Festival. The energy is nothing I felt in quite a while in any film. If I had to compare, it is Crank meets Speed Racer. As long as you don't expect too much from a narrative standpoint, it's heart-stoppingly awesome.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

uh Zac?

They got through 26 episodes out of 64 then stopped because they ran out of dubbed episodes. Also Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has been much better received than the original Fullmetal Alchemist, ANN's fans have rated it as the second highest rated anime, while MAL has rated it as the top anime by over .08 points.

Thanks, I added a correction to the article.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh I hope Summer Wars atleast gets a nomination >< I saw it a film festival recently and totally fell in love with it.

also, on the subject of learning about vocaloids *puts vocaloid nerd glasses on* if you want to learn about the different vocaloids available (and the UTAU software to an extent) I recommend the Vocaloid wikia account (http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/Vocaloid_Wiki) I feel that vocaloidism.com focuses mainly on the Japanese vocaloids when there are a good number of English speaking voicebanks too (but of course aren't nearly as popular). and actually the first vocaloids were made by a UK company but it wasn't until 3 years later when Japan basically decided "hey, lets make this cute school girl be the face of this product for a change" and it skyrocketed from there.
...just if anyone was curious..

I'm also still watching panty and stocking. Its a guilty pleasure >>; I'm sorry. Although I just finished episode 7 and there wasn't a poop joke at all.(there was a toilet visible though)
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
In terms of Japanese games the only stuff I really like besides the in-house Nintendo stuff would be the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta action stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
RE: Zac's Owl toon rant. Surprised you didn't MST3K it with 300 jokes, given that it's the same director.

RE: Zac's Tangled rant. It actually looks better than I would've expected, given the clips I'm seeing of it online. I'm also more interested in it than Megamind, to be honest.

As for why The Princess + The Frog got in, I'm guessing the voters liked the off-beat setting. In other words, it's not just the 2-d, but possibly also the fact that you don't get a fantasy toon set in a more relatable locale nowadays. Usually, it's in some fantasy world.

Also, I brought it up before, but is Summer Wars even eligible? I mean it already got released on home video in Japan, after all.

RE: Girl Who Leapt Through Time rant. I agree it should've gotten in sooner. I don't even know why the hell Kadokawa screened it for free in L.A. if they had no plans to do anything with it.

Moving on to FF games, my faves so far are IV, VI, VIII and IX. I know VIII gets a lot of flack for its battle system, but I really liked the way you could adjust stats without grinding.

Charred Knight:
Quote:
The reason people get into Panty and Stockings is because they talk to themselves into thinking that it's some brilliant attack against moe, and it's not

Sort of like how people claimed Eva was an attack against mecha cliches? Rolling Eyes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

uh Zac?

Thanks, I added a correction to the article.

and you wrote 24 episodes have aired. It is 26 episodes that have aired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood_episodes
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
To correct something I said: there is a regular edition of Deathsmiles.

Also, the Chunsoft visual novel that I couldn't name is 428: Fusa Sareta Shibuya de. Or maybe Machi.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The vast, vast majority of visual novels are not fan translated; there are only a handful of completed translations. It's not a situation where fans can get "whatever they want", unlike with anime fansubs.

Love your wishing death on CLANNAD and Miyazaki characters. Rolling Eyes
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way about Panty & Stocking. I'm torn between the excellent visuals and the forced and unfunny "shock" humor. I pretty much dropped it, but then picked it back up. The anime doesn't really get relatively decent until episode 5b and the whole 6th episode.

Also the animation is bad. Sure the visuals look great, but when you un-pause the image, the actual animation sucks. There are plenty of shortcuts taken in the animation, to the point where its animated like a flash cartoon on Newgrounds at times. But during certain scenes the animation is pretty solid (i.e. transformation sequences and the crazy awesome battle in episode six).

I just hope the show does improve even more from here on out because episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5 were absolutely dreadful to watch.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The vast, vast majority of visual novels are not fan translated; there are only a handful of completed translations. It's not a situation where fans can get "whatever they want", unlike with anime fansubs.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. The sheer amount of text just fan-translated a certain visual novel is almost like fansubbing, for example, a 26-episode TV series all at once and then release it the whole thing. Then there's the coding and other technical stuff that may or may not get nasty. Of course the alternative is just ripping the CG images and just releasing that especially for hentai ones. I would have to agree about certain video games that have the visual novel element having a larger niche than the stand-alone visual novel.

And are the Touhou shooting games can even be "licensed" and sold in stores? I always thought those are distributed for free.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Touhou, rights holder doesn't want them done, essentialy. Or that is what has been sugested elsewhere.
darkchibi07 wrote:
And are the Touhou shooting games can even be "licensed" and sold in stores? I always thought those are distributed for free.

They are not, nor have ever been free (except the demo versions). You can buy them at Comiket, or from doujin shops. It's only the books that are available through normal comercial distro' though.

Fandom is huge, mostly runs off the games' BGM. (and the huge number of moe characters). Also very freindly licence, as per Higurashi and some big visual novels, alows all derivative works on condition that they are sold as doujin.
They're bullet hell shooters, mostly; excepting the first one (breakout-like), the two fighting games, and the two Vs shooters.

Visual novel requires it to have no (or very little) gameplay, they are adventure games still. If it had visual novel elements and significant gameplay it would be an action-adventure game (+action), or a "dating-sim" (+ SLG). "Dating-sim"s do sometimes get localised, though only very gameplay heavy ones. The best you get in an actual visual novel is the odd minigame.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
The thing is, PAS doesn't have bad animation, its just a bad show,

Nah, it's really not.

TeenChibi wrote:
Also the animation is bad. Sure the visuals look great, but when you un-pause the image, the actual animation sucks. There are plenty of shortcuts taken in the animation, to the point where its animated like a flash cartoon on Newgrounds at times. But during certain scenes the animation is pretty solid (i.e. transformation sequences and the crazy awesome battle in episode six).

I just hope the show does improve even more from here on out because episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5 were absolutely dreadful to watch.

No way episode 4a was bad with Fat Stocking. That was absolutely hilarious. Though, I definitely think around 5b (which ironically was the most different of the series) the show found a very solid groove. And honestly, I like the animation. Sure if you pause, it could look bad, but it blends in the environment so perfectly that you can't even tell when stuff goes CGI or when a serious art shift is going to occur.

The toilet humor has very clearly decreased as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5