• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Black Rock Shooter Figma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think the anime should be considered a failure… it did delivered its message after all. Plus we all know the origin of the character BRS so I think this outcome should be natural considered they gave the story after the character was conceived. I do agree BRS’s encounter with the girl at the end was kind of awkward…
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had the chance to see the anime yet, but I must admit I'm hoping for at the very least some good ol' guilty pleasure fluff. I think it has a lotta potential for a sequel, or even a full-length TV series. That could probably deliver a more solid story.

I'm dying to own all of the figmas. The designs are just too cool imho. I'm hoping one of Strength is made soon. Anime hyper
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I like episode one, and eagerly await two. I didn't see any flaw in it. Do two universes have to be perfectly parallel to make sense? They can be anything the artist wants, as long as there is a connection. It's not a metaphor. For the girls, it is reality. Stop trying to think that it's trying to teach you something and just let yourself be entertained. I loved it. I have the figma and I have the rock cannon statue on order. (I had it originally on order from one dealer but mine was lost due to "breakage" and there were no replacements. Ticked me off. So, thankfully GoodSmile is now creating a new batch and I have an order in with another web retailer. It better arrive this time or there will be tears, and not mine.) Anyway, I think anything coming out about BRS is splendid. That it started out as a simple little illustration and evolved backwards into an anime is just spectacular. Life is full of surprises, and I think that is what BRS is all about.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
There's barely enough story for a short manga one-shot in that OVA, but somehow they drag it out for almost an hour and manage to short-change the only thing one would expect from this franchise; battle scenes. Hilarious fail.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
I think the anime is pretty good at what it's trying to do (pretty visuals and fan-pandering fluff) but as a genuinely good piece of anime, yes it definitely fails there. I thought it could have used less cute schoolgirl antics and more battle scenes personally, but for a freebie included with a decent action figure I didn't feel short-changed or disappointed.

BRS doesn't really have the narrative power to make a lasting franchise with wide appeal, but for an otaku fad it's produced some really nice merchandise (I have the Figma versions of both BRS and Dead Master, along with Nendoroid BRS and I'm very pleased with them).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
I was not aware this figure came with its own anime, and this just definitely sealed the deal for an upcoming purchase (Friday). I've liked this figure since Max Factory (via Good Smile Company's website) introduced it on its upcoming line many months ago. It just looks cool, like the blue flame coming out of her eye.

In regard to the "hand rack", I'll have to disagree Revoltech should learn from Max Factory. The ease of Revoltech figures is something MF can learn from, as I've lost two hands already due to the incredibly tight holes in both the racks and the figures which snapped two pegs.
(I'd wish both would use a magnetic system, honestly).

Regardless of these small issues, Max Factory has definitely restored figure collecting for me thanks to the price. To have a complete collection of K-ON! (5 girls, each with instruments) for the price of one scaled is telling and I'm thankful for it.

So, Brian, did you get your pre-order in for KOS-MOS? I didn't expect this figure to "sell out" of its pre-orders so fast, so I'm on a waiting list. I've a feeling this figure is going to have several productions. I don't know why KOS-MOS is so famous, but years after any games, she still sells. It's the Gatling guns. I just know it. Now, if only they'd make MOMO (with her archery set and wands).

If anyone from Max Factory happens to swing by: the cast of Aria is sorely missing from the lineup.
Anime cry
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
I don’t think the anime should be considered a failure… it did delivered its message after all

Yeah, but that message was "you're only allowed one friend." Not exactly a great message...

And yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the BRS anime. How did BRS play second banana to a school drama in her own anime!? Seriously, nobody watched the anime toe see two girls bond and then get torn apart by jealousy; they watched because they wanted to see BRS kick ass! It's like the studio had this great idea for a drama that they wanted to make but couldn't find a way to fund it. Then they got paid all this money to make a BRS anime and wasted the budget making the drama and then had to come up with some half assed way to connect the two. Could you imagine if any other anime tried to pull this? What would happen if the upcoming Fullmetal Alchemist movie was 60 minutes of some unrelated high school comedy with short slips of Edward fighting spread throughout? It's the same idea, it's inconceivable how anyone thought this would be a good idea.

You really do get what you pay for with this. At least I won't be enticed by the blu-ray, unless it does come packed with some sort of limited BRS figma, then I might be tempted. Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really love my BRS figma (as well as Dead Master and can't wait for Black Gold Saw), I certainly was not buying the figma for the anime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="Emerje"]
kamui85 wrote:
It's like the studio had this great idea for a drama that they wanted to make but couldn't find a way to fund it. Then they got paid all this money to make a BRS anime and wasted the budget making the drama and then had to come up with some half assed way to connect the two.

I don't know if the idea is great. It's simple, which is fine, but that means execution is very important, and this doesn't really pull it off.

Actually, it kind of reminded of Ga-Rei Zero (sundered friendship+supernatural fighting), but that was a million times better and make more sense.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
http://subatomicbrainfreeze.typepad.com/subatomic_brainfreeze/2010/11/black-rock-shooter-im-im-black-rock-shooter-i-guess-anyway-roll-credits.html

Being as everybody's talking about the anime anyway, I thought I would let you guys know I did a follow-up on the anime on my personal blog. If you thought I was going hard on it before, you're not going to like what you see here.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
http://subatomicbrainfreeze.typepad.com/subatomic_brainfreeze/2010/11/black-rock-shooter-im-im-black-rock-shooter-i-guess-anyway-roll-credits.html

Being as everybody's talking about the anime anyway, I thought I would let you guys know I did a follow-up on the anime on my personal blog. If you thought I was going hard on it before, you're not going to like what you see here.

I think it's a very fair review; even as someone who tolerated it a bit more than you did. Some parts of the schoolgirl story were decent - even though the things they did were pretty boring, the way they acted had an almost Ghibli-like slice-of-life vibe I found appealing. It's just that it went ON so long.

But yeah, I'd much rather half an hour of plotless BRS fighting any day.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I like episode one, and eagerly await two. I didn't see any flaw in it. Do two universes have to be perfectly parallel to make sense? They can be anything the artist wants, as long as there is a connection. It's not a metaphor. For the girls, it is reality. Stop trying to think that it's trying to teach you something and just let yourself be entertained. I loved it.[......] That it started out as a simple little illustration and evolved backwards into an anime is just spectacular. Life is full of surprises, and I think that is what BRS is all about.

I have to agree though I understand some being irritated that its not 100% BRS and clearly the first OVA was done as a prelude for more possible OVA. I'm fine with that since this story has a lot more depth to it than I was expecting. With >160,000 figures pre-ordered its got to be viewed as a nice success. How about a 12-eps anime for Spring?
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
I have to agree though I understand some being irritated that its not 100% BRS and clearly the first OVA was done as a prelude for more possible OVA. I'm fine with that since this story has a lot more depth to it than I was expecting. With >160,000 figures pre-ordered its got to be viewed as a nice success. How about a 12-eps anime for Spring?

And those >160,000 preorders from 3 months ago are only for the brs Figma and Nendroids! (would guess it's sold way over that by now) As this states, "it does not take into account the sales of PVCs, other BRS goods, or even the Figma or Nendoroid Dead Master. "

I have a Macross Revoltech that I never ever play with so as much as I'd like the figmas for completeness sake, I think I'll save up for the stunning BRS and Dead Master PVCs.

As far as a full anime series would go, I think the nice thing about BRS is the amount of freedom they would have, not being tied down by a manga source.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
For the few who do not yet have this DVD, it is also available in the September issue of Magami Magazine. This should be available from your online dealer of choice.

The magazine also has the cover insert and booklet for a standard DVD case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1