• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With four more episodes under its belt and no improvement in sight, Viz's dub officially ranks among the year's more terrible adaptations.

I would not say that entirely. Sure it's not perfect , and I definitely question the casting for the main characters , but it's a preety solid dub if you ask me. And compared to the dubs that viz did in the past ( I'm speaking to you Rannma 1/2 ) this one is a blessing in my eyes.

My grade is at least a B-

But then again , I'm mainly a dub prusuit so my opinion really dont count.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Same here. I like the dub and even I was a little nervous about Vic taking on Zero's role. Course, I haven't seen this volume yet but I'm sure that the dub is at least as good as volume 1.

One minor nitpick: The vampires of VK are not undead! They're a different race of beings.

As for the only sparkley vampire fans being able to enjoy Vampire Knight, I beg to differ. I hate Twilight, love Alucard from Hellsing (and other awesome vamps) AND I LOVE VAMPIRE KNIGHT! Seriously, while it does have some Twilight elements, it's way better than that, at least IMHO.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
I hadn't the chance to pick up DVD 2 yet, but it's awful to see that after the first one the dub hasn't improved and actually sounds like it's gotten worse. When I watched the first episode (and the only episode of the dub I watched before screaming and turning over to the sub), I was appalled by how bad the dub was - I felt like I was watching a dub aimed at third graders! What the heck!? A third-grade dub for a violent, bloody show about vampires? Not at all pleased.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I like the dub, don't see what the big fuss is about. Well I'm not crazy about the show so maybe I just don't care Confused I haven't watched it in Japanese so I'm not comparing.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't get the dub hate. Sure it's not the greatest but it's far from bad. I guess not many fans today have heard 80's/90's dubs. Now, those were BAD dubs! Course, I didn't necessarily mind at the time. Plus, the way the industry is now, we're lucky to have a dub, especially since this is shojo.

As for the dialogue, I don't remember it being much different from the manga. Besides Vampire Knight may have some blood and violence but its not THAT mature. In other words, Hellsing it ain't!
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I find these Vampire Knight reviews funny coming from Carl, who claims he despises this type of melodrama(hint: look at his loving praise for NANA).

Ironically though, the only other anime that's quite similar to this that Carl gave praise for was Kannazuki no Miko. Curious...

Is that what I should be comparing it too? Y'know w/ vampires, and without lesbians?

If so, that's a good thing, because I really enjoyed Kannazuki no Miko.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
To me, the English Dub is ok, still I'm iffy on Kaname and Yuki (was thinking that Johnny Yong Bosch could play Kaname and Laura Bailey as Yuki but oh well...)

Maybe they can improve once VK Guilty comes around...?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
animeroxsmysoxs wrote:
To me, the English Dub is ok, still I'm iffy on Kaname and Yuki (was thinking that Johnny Yong Bosch could play Kaname and Laura Bailey as Yuki but oh well...)

Maybe they can improve once VK Guilty comes around...?

That was I was thinking as well when Viz media announced the license as well.

JYB would have done well as Kaname. However Bailey as Yuki , not quite.

Steaphine Seph would have been a better in Yuki's role instead of her best friend.

Also though I like Vic's take as Zero , but I kinda thought that either Yuri or Shiki's VA (Who also acted as Shorichio from Tengo Tenge & had the bad boy attitude) would have been Zero.

If that had been the casting , I'm preety sure the rating would not have been lower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
(Late post, lol, sorry...wanted to catch this review before it dropped off the sidebar.)

Quote:
Yuki crucifies herself on a cross fashioned of guilt and fraternal protectiveness, unaware that forcing Zero to live for her sake—how could he perish, when she has sacrificed so much so that he might live?—is as quietly cruel as any of the more spectacular torments Zero has inflicted on himself.

NOICE. Best sentence I've ever seen in a review. Thank you for not making me feel guilty for being a shojo fan anymore~ (N-not that I ever really do...I think I slander myself sometimes for reading shojo manga even when it's predictable, but I'm a major sucker for romance and drama!)

I'm reading the manga, and I only took a peek at about three episodes of the anime; I watched the first episode in sub once, but I don't really remember the voices that well. Either way...erm...I actually liked Vic as Zero, and I thought he had one of the best performances. (The dude can't go wrong, can he?) The supporting cast's actors and actresses were superb. The only performances I might almost say I couldn't stand were Mela Lee and Ethan Murray as Yuki and Kaname. Yuki just...I mean, she's okay if you look at it in a certain light. But sometimes the intonation is just off, or it sounds forced. And I'm a dub fan, so it's not that I'm just slandering this because I'm a die-hard sub Nazi (however, I can't bring myself to trust Viz after Full Moon). But even that performance outshines Kaname...he was just...ugh...this one really is forced. Kaname is supposed to be dark and mysterious and smexy fangirl fodder, not fail acting! *facepalm* (Plus, I can hardly hear the guy...) So I kinda agree with you on the dub. I think it probably deserved a bit better, but I'm not gonna say much else---I'm glad it's in America, and I know I can watch the subs if I buy the DVDs. (I probably won't, though.)

If you read this far, I'm amazed~ Carry on!
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Ouch. Sad to hear the dub is that bad. Mela Lee and Ethan Murray were that bad ZipZap? A minor character wouldn't be that terrible or even supporting depending on who we're talking about, but two of the three leads is not good. How did the major supporting characters VA's do? I haven't seen anyone comment on that.

I've pre-ordered the season 1 set coming out late January. Guess I'll have a decision to make about whether to watch the dub or sub first.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
I thought it was fairly decent. But then, I'm not overly critical when it comes to dubs since I usually watch them anyway. Course, being an older fan, I've heard some really bad dubs. You young'uns got it good nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1