• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokemon Adventures GN 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

There are all manners of bumps and bruises on Pokemon and human alike, trainers get thrown against walls, Red is imprisoned and takes a powerful Thunderbolt (then thrown into the ocean to drown), and this is all in Volume 1. While technically bloodless, a Pokemon's life is taken right on the page in Volume 2.

Censorship is pretty minor, and sometimes odd. Like that thing with Green's hidden Poke Balls, I believe it was left intact in VIZ's original release years ago.

well I never read Vol 2 but did that REALLY happened? ANd with Nintendo's approval?? That's a shock there were no backlash from it.

Chapter 23: spoiler[Giovanni uses Cloyster to freeze two Magmar, then has Cloyster smash them to bits. So I suppose it can be implied. But I don't think a Magmar can recover from that.

There are other cases in other volumes where Pokemon with rock-like bodies are blown apart, but I don't believe they dies...]
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. It's good to see a Pokemon product examined in a positive light while most of the world views it as "Mudkipz! Pogeymanz! Gotta catch them all!"

I think this series truly captures the feeling you get from playing the Gameboy games. It gives you the sense of adventure without being overly marketed towards kids like the anime. Just imagine how neat it would have been if the anime followed the stories of Red instead of Ash.

That's not to say it's masterpiece of a story with a super complex plot. In fact, when I look at Pokemon Special alongside a lot of the other stuff I read, the plot seems a bit lackluster. But sometimes all you need is a simple story about a kid exploring the world.

I've only read up through the Yellow Arc so far, so I'm interested to see where this new story takes us... especially after recently playing Heart Gold.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
You guys forgot another good example: spoiler[Koga's Arbok getting slashed in half by Blue's Charmeleon.]
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
You guys forgot another good example: spoiler[Koga's Arbok getting slashed in half by Blue's Charmeleon.]

spoiler[Except that wasn't a real Arbok, right?]
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

spoiler[Except that wasn't a real Arbok, right?]

My memory might not serve perfectly but I recall spoiler[it being a real Arbok. Once cut, they were still able to control the halves too. Whether it was 'real' or not though, it was freaky seeing it sliced in two, showing its cartoon-y innards. May not have bled but it was still a surprise to see!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2