• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mushi-Shi Helmer Nagahama Sues Over Beyoncé Album Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
woot sony!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have images of the "CD Lyrics card"?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
To the left, to the left, every cent they own in the box to the left xD
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Why would they wait two years to file a law suit!?!
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
TeenChibi wrote:
Why would they wait two years to file a law suit!?!
For one they probably didn't discover the copyright violation right away. They would only find out if they 1) bought the album or 2) were informed by someone else with personal knowledge of the original artwork (which was not publicly released) that it was being used in the packaging.

That alone could have taken a year or two, or it could have happened in a day. Then there were probably back and forth communications and legal wrangling, attempts to resolve the issue out of court, etc. That probably went on for months. Then comes the process of actually filing the lawsuit.

From start to finish, this isn't something that happens overnight and can easily (and usually) take years to sort out.

That said, from what I know about this business from a friend who has done a bunch of illustration and design for record labels before, I completely believe Nagahama's claims. Record labels are some of the absolute worst when it comes to respecting other people's ownership of their own works. Hiring someone to do a whole bunch of concept sketches with the promise of pay on final illustration delivery, canceling the project after receiving the sketches because they "decided to go in another direction," and then using a barely tweaked version of the sketches without credit or payment to the actual original artist in the final product happens all the time.

So, yeah, pretty believable lawsuit here.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It always amazes me how companies or people file lawsuits so long after the product they are suing over is released. No one at the production company bothered to check whether they used any of the material that was provided for two years.

I just read another news article about how Axle Rose is suing the Guitar Hero developers for breach of contract for a game made in 2008.
ericcalderon
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
Hey all,

I'm actually one of the producers behind this situation. It's really terrible and we're all pretty upset about it. But, for a long time, there was going to be a larger animation project that we were pursuing. Unfortunately, that got cancelled, but they used the artwork anyway. We tried for almost a year to settle this directly with their company, but to no avail. After that, we pursued the lawsuit and it literally took this long. I hope Director Nagahama gets what he is properly owed! His work for this was fantastic!!!!
unready

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
That said, from what I know about this business from a friend who has done a bunch of illustration and design for record labels before, I completely believe Nagahama's claims. Record labels are some of the absolute worst when it comes to respecting other people's ownership of their own works.

If true, I find the irony amusing. Don't violate artistic copyrights, folks. The record company will sue your grandmom for $9 billion for that one Barry Manilow mp3 she downloaded. Only the recording industry itself is allowed to take other people's creations for its own use without permission or payment.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
...on the other hand, music industry are the ones shouting "copyright infringement" everywhere.
I hope they get lots of money from it. The music industry can afford that after all.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
...on the other hand, music industry are the ones shouting "copyright infringement" everywhere.
I hope they get lots of money from it. The music industry can afford that after all.

Or we're gonna see a story in Japanese media of how there was a drive-by in Japan targetting Nagahama.

YOU DON'T **** with JAY-Z.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Or we're gonna see a story in Japanese media of how there was a drive-by in Japan targetting Nagahama.

YOU DON'T **** with JAY-Z.

Millions of people do. Is a rapper omnipotent enough to stop a civilian from pirating his music?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1