• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Writers, Lawyers Oppose Revised Youth Ordinance Bill

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeris14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
I wish these people would stop trying to pass bills like this.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
UNICEF Japan is at it again.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Who didn't see this outcome coming? Anybody?
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
If I understand that last bit right there will now be an official Tokyo Metro list of Japanese hentia smut producers...... and what exactly does that accomplish....
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
Who didn't see this outcome coming? Anybody?

I think everybody knew it was going to fail.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The revised bill will specifically target depictions of "sexual or pseudo sexual acts that would be illegal in real life.... Another section of the revised bill would allow the government to directly restrict the sale and renting of the above images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.

I had heard that Tokyo is a little lax compared to the rest of the country with respect to laws regarding sex crimes, but is rape somehow not illegal in Tokyo, you know, "in real life?"

Quote:
If the publisher releases another "harmful publication" within the next six months, Tokyo's governor can identify the publisher in public with supporting documentation.

I understand that the proposers consider it a public shaming, but this measure could backfire. In other words, if a publisher doesn't stop, the governor is going to give it free advertising.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
Can they just gg and call it a day? this is what the 3rd time they've tried to pass this? and each time more damning to the proponents then the last?, lol They don't realize how much revenue they would be throwing in the crapper, I'm not too fond of rape (I don't think many people are, lol) but taking down the whole industry because of one or 2 things is ludicrous and they should know better then to try and pass this bill, its almost embarrassing at this point
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
So in short Japan's still trying to enact an Anime Code Authority?

Yeah, that worked wonders for the US comics industry, didn't it?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
If I understand that last bit right there will now be an official Tokyo Metro list of Japanese hentia smut producers...... and what exactly does that accomplish....

More like for those shoujo mags that had a run in with the Japanese PTA in the past. They published something that was too mature for the perceived age range.

Your business was publicly "shamed" by being on that list. Being on the list would mean that "respectable" businesses wouldn't advertise in your magazine, sell your magazine probably. People wouldn't buy your magazine. In short, it would slowly drive them out of business.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
What are they so worried about, they're just cartoons!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
And now, after seeing a similar grouping of interests against this bill, I see it encountering the same fate as the last iteration, once it's put to a vote.

They need to stop wasting time and effort on this. And if they want to try and pass those other amendments, such as the "smut list" or filtering the internet on minor's phones, they should do that separately. Cause trying to tag those onto a bill that attempts to censor and deconstruct what is essentially Japan's largest domestic consumer market, as well as a portion of its international market, is not good national economic practice. Especially when they're attempting to legislate, not even thought crimes, but the possibility of thought crimes among the general public, specifically those which the government has decided are too young to deal with mature issues, whether in a "glorified" sense or not.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
This is such a storm in a tea cup, it's only about restricting sales to minors. Rolling Eyes

hikaru004 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:

More like for those shoujo mags that had a run in with the Japanese PTA in the past. They published something that was too mature for the perceived age range.

Your business was publicly "shamed" by being on that list. Being on the list would mean that "respectable" businesses wouldn't advertise in your magazine, sell your magazine probably. People wouldn't buy your magazine. In short, it would slowly drive them out of business.
No it won't. This is Japan we're talking about. If anything it will be a boost to those on the list because the hentai market will be searching out their work. The PTA there is no way as powerful as the PTA in your home town USA. This bill is already well diluted in its regulation to be of little significance to the hantai market at all, except if it passes the shop will have to ask for ID to prove that some snot-nosed kid is able to legally buy his weekly wank mag. It's just politicians giving the PTA lip service to show they're doing something. Move along now. Nothing more to see. Rolling Eyes
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
aeris14 wrote:
I wish these people would stop trying to pass bills like this.

oh for god sakes!!! First here in the US was bad enough but over there is worse. and i was considering moving there too.

It's because of beaurcrates and overeacting parental advocates like them that give the rise to awful companies like 4kids and nelvana on the north america side and Animax Asia on the Eastern side.

This is why i'll NEVER EVER get into politics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:

Except for the fact it's government sponsored I have significantly less problems with this idea, as it is in fact the way I think such issues should be dealt with. People should have full freedom of association and disassociation. You should not have to trade with anyone whom you do not want to trade with, nor should you be disallowed from trading with anyone.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So in short Japan's still trying to enact an Anime Code Authority?

Yeah, that worked wonders for the US comics industry, didn't it?

There was one mangathat caused a lot of controversy. It ended up in a lawsuit over obscenity. The resulting effect of the lawsuit is that many bookstores that sell manga was forced to remove their adult-only section due to this lawsuit. Luckily, Japan hasn't made any Comic Code authority figure from this obscenity trial. But I'm quite worried if Japan is willing to go this far to censor anime and manga. I didn't like the Comic Code Authority back in the 50's because of their ridiculous standards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2