• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2010

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Holy. Freaking. Gawd.

Japan really does love One Piece to an utterly ludicrous degree, even after all this time.

It's kinda scary and yet kinda impressive at the same time.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
One Piece isn't that surprising. It's long been known that One Piece is legion. The one that does surprise me is Kimi ni Todoke. It's an excellent series, so I'm glad it's doing so well, but I'm just surprised to see a shoujo series selling that well.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
One Piece isn't that surprising. It's long been known that One Piece is legion. The one that does surprise me is Kimi ni Todoke. It's an excellent series, so I'm glad it's doing so well, but I'm just surprised to see a shoujo series selling that well.
I think shoujo actually does very well over there. It just doesn't do as well over here, I believe.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
And now Fairy Tail just needs to sell more than Naruto, and everything will be right in the world.
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
Wow just wow, from 15 million something last year and now this year they doubled it. Gotta love One Piece.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
32,343,809 :O Thats amazing! Normal books wouldn't usually sell anything near that much over here :O
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah right!.....32 million ?.....must be in Yen.....knock off about 6 digits. xD

Can a NaNoWriMo-writer please explain this series to me ?.....like what the heck is so good about it ? xD
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
32 million copies sold, not yen.

Quite impressive as always for One Piece. And once again I remain baffled at how the stagnant Kimi ni Todoke continues to be the top-selling shoujo. But hey, at least Nodame made the list.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
32 million copies sold, not yen.

Quite impressive as always for One Piece. And once again I remain baffled at how the stagnant Kimi ni Todoke continues to be the top-selling shoujo. But hey, at least Nodame made the list.

Stagnant? Confused Kimi ni Todoke is probably my favorite shoujo.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, damn. Good on you, Fairy Tail.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
That's insane. I knew that One Piece was the most popular manga over there, but its 2010 sales were larger than the next five titles combined.

It's still not going to make me try another attempt at reading it, though. I hate the art.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I just realized, Fairy Tail sold that many, but it only had 2 volumes in the top 50 and they were both down the list a bit. That means the back volumes are selling inordinate amounts.
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
That's insane. I knew that One Piece was the most popular manga over there, but its 2010 sales were larger than the next five titles combined.

It's still not going to make me try another attempt at reading it, though. I hate the art.

It's not just for Volume 56 to 60, it's from Volume 1 to 60 sales of this year. That only means a whole new One Piece readers are coming in and buying old Volumes.

The art is not bad, if it is then why would there be a lot of people reading it? One Piece is just awesome for its art, story line, adventures, and humors.

One Piece probably has the most number of characters in the manga, as the crew get in to a new adventure new characters are appearing and ODA don't recycle characters over and over. Plus the fact that no two devil fruit and it's ability are the same in the manga, now that's brilliant and requires imagination on the authors part.

All hail to ODA's for making One Piece great!!!
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
whitefangrazorblade wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:

It's not just for Volume 56 to 60, it's from Volume 1 to 60 sales of this year. That only means a whole new One Piece readers are coming in and buying old Volumes.

The art is not bad, if it is then why would there be a lot of people reading it? One Piece is just awesome for its art, story line, adventures, and humors.

One Piece probably has the most number of characters in the manga, as the crew get in to a new adventure new characters are appearing and ODA don't recycle characters over and over. Plus the fact that no two devil fruit and it's ability are the same in the manga, now that's brilliant and requires imagination on the authors part.

All hail to ODA's for making One Piece great!!!

the epic war arc boost the sales compare last year top record,
all volumes on that arc including flashback skyrocket

maybe he was talking about the early chapters,almost all manga in their first run always have weak art,and Oda likes wacky characters,as an artist I like the recent chapters undersea environment background every panel

first he got a hot wife,then surpassing dragon ball & becoming the best selling manga,and then breaking the 200 million record and then this,he owns top 1 to 5 rank and 32Million+within only a year

congratulations to GODA,he deserves it,maybe he bought an island for himself
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
whitefangrazorblade wrote:

I didn't say the art was bad, just that I don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2