• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Finished reading volume 2. It pretty much ends at the same point as the anime.

As much as I like the the anime, and I do like the anime quite a lot, covering 2 books in 13 episodes does require that some things be abbreviated a bit.

I re-watched the show after I finished the book and I'd say it's pretty faithful to the novels, other than the part with Chloe. I would also say that I got more out of the show around after reading the books because they have more room for backround development.

12 more volumes to go...
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it was because I've seen the anime and remember it fairly well, but Volume 2 left something to be desired for me. I think if it was completely novel to me, I may have enjoyed it more. I also expected more from the novel that wasn't animated, but there wasn't much left out. There's no doubt about it though, I will follow Spice and Wolf into volume 3 (and hopefully more) in December.
cyaat21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the light novels, but they are on my list.
I'm currently reading the manga and watching the anime.
Both are really fantastic in my opinion, the plot is so unique to me and I love the characters and how they evolve. At first I really hated the economics in the plot because I am absolutely inept at economics, but the anime really helped me understand more about the subject and now I really enjoy it.

I've been wondering if someone has read the light novels, manga and has seen the anime and if they found major differences between the light novels and the manga and anime; since the light novels came first.

I know there are slight differences or variations between the manga and anime, but I am not that far in the manga and I'm almost done with both seasons of the anime.

I can't wait for the continuation of this story. I wish I was in Japan because Japan gets all the good stuff first :} Hahaha.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading the first two light novels and have found translations of volumes three and four, so I'm looking forward to reading those as well!

Here's something to consider: Yen Press's current release schedule for the Spice and Wolf novels is two a year. That means we won't have the entire series in english until the end of 2017, and that's only if the author stops at volume 16 and Yen Press doesn't decide to drop the series *sniffles quietly and contemplates the bleakness of life* I can't wait seven years for closure Sad
Looks like the only way to read the story anytime soon is by learning to read Japanese. Wish me luck!

Oh, and if anyone wants the translated versions of volume 3 and 4 you can download them here [unfortunately the translations are pirated and unauthorized, so we can't allow the linkes to be posted, sorry]. Credit goes to nrobert from bleachexile.com for having the foresight to archive these and to judgement26, who translated them for baka-tsuki before the project was abandoned. Enjoy!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
The third novel is due out on Dec. 21st, so there should be no need to look up a translation online for that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
excaliber736

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, sorry about the link, didn't realize we couldn't post that kind of stuff. Embarassed
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that the third novel is now out. I have it in hand, and they did the same thing with this one as they did with the lasy one (i.e. the pic with the human model is on a slipcover over the original manga-styled cover).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3