• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime In Three Dimensions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Whoah... did you just write an article on live-action adaptations of anime and manga and not mention Nodame Cantabile even once?!?!?! All my Japanese teachers in college (at least the female ones) loved the show and movies. It had HUGE ratings. And having seen them... they are epically fantastic and I prefer them to the anime.
lewisfoster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
"Space Battleship Yamato is definitely going to hit in Japan - the only question is, are the sequels going to be any good?"

spoiler[I imagine it's going to be hard without a reboot.]
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
just wanted to say the same. Nodame is awesome, especially as a live action.

There have been so many anime/manga live action adaptions these last years that it is hard to keep track of them. Solanin was nice as well. Seigi no mikata is one of the best drama series I know xD And Bunny Drop will be out in 2011, with Kenichi Matsuyama Wink

I think it's a great way to show good stories to a bigger, mainstream audience. Some of them really deserve it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I now know that Tamahome wrote the X-men movies. I had never made that connection before.
My world is rocked.

Oh, and yeah, Devilman was pretty awful. It sounds like I should watch my FOTNS live action dvd though....

With Bebop, if it means a shot at seeing some new anime at the same time, or even a possibility of a good liveaction movie getting out, I'm all for it. The show's been done in Japan for over a decade, so Keanu's movie certainly won't hurt anything even if it is bad.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Some of the Japanese live action stuff would not be so bad if it wasn't for the awful acting.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, Zeiram is the source material for Iria. No anime or manga preceded it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Despite some amateur directing and camera work and a few off performances, I really enjoyed the 20th Century Boys movies. If the live-action Space Battleship Yamato is at least as good as those, I'll be satisfied. I just hope I get a chance to see it.

I thought Speed Racer was a fun movie. Really a live action cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Whoah... did you just write an article on live-action adaptations of anime and manga and not mention Nodame Cantabile even once?!?!?! All my Japanese teachers in college (at least the female ones) loved the show and movies. It had HUGE ratings. And having seen them... they are epically fantastic and I prefer them to the anime.

I think he was only talking about live action movies here, if not he missed a ton of live action tv shows.

Quote:
That Speed Racer movie that we all didn't go to see in the theatres was originally attached to Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp to play the title role; this was in 1992 or so.

And just when I thought the Burton/Depp partnership couldn't get much weirder, woah.
Rij

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the rumoured American movies based on the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and MPD Psycho? I'd pay to see those.

Not as much as I'd pay to be able to read Sukeban Deka though.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There is actually a Korean Dragon Ball live action film as well:

It's kind of amazing in its really terribleness. That does raise adaptations of Dragon Ball to at least 3.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Surprised there was no mention of Antique. It fard pretty well in Korea, or so I hear. Good acting and whatnot.

Lady Oscar was rather forgettable. It was such a shame. Apparently one of the main sponsors was a cosmetics company, which is one of the reasons that they have such a feminine Oscar. Forget where I read that - I did quite a lot of research for my dissertation, which was partly on The Rose of Versailles.

- Pips
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but things started with a bang with Zeiram, a pair of snappy, kinetic live-action films based on the same source material as the great sci-fi/action OVA IRIA

Would you say that if I enjoyed the OVA (and I did), I'd also enjoy the movie?

Quote:
Director Chris Nahon has delivered a movie adaptation of Blood: The Last Vampire that is eye-poppingly true to the source material and not bad at all

Seriously??!! I was expecting full savaging of this one title. While I confess it's a guilty pleasure title of mine, I can't help but admit how incredibly campy and cheesy it is and would've fit well as an MST3K movie.

Of all the live-action films mentioned, my favorites were definitely the Death Note films. To me they were an excellent adaptation of the original story, taking everything that was good about it and condensing it into its own coherent story. 20th Century Boys was downright entertaining, but there's no denying its silly aspects.

One live-action movie that wasn't mentioned but deserves some note is the Mushishi movie. While the Anime (never read the manga) was definitely superior, I thought the film made for an artsy adaptation and had some good moments in it. My only beef was how spoiler[Nue's character was treated. In the Anime, she was allowed to be in peace, but for some inexplicable reason she was just made to suffer in the movie and that alone was painful and unfair to watch]. There's also the Honey and Clover movie, which was decent enough.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I think he was only talking about live action movies here, if not he missed a ton of live action tv shows.

Well, there have been two movies now, that completed the manga. I've only seen #1... I want this franchise licensed so badly, but something is clearly holding it up, my guess is on the Japanese end?
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Some of the Japanese live action stuff would not be so bad if it wasn't for the awful acting.

Fortunately there are enough with good and even great acting. Kenichi Matsuyama is a great actor. And Nodame's Juri Ueno as well.

vashfanatic wrote:

Well, there have been two movies now, that completed the manga. I've only seen #1... I want this franchise licensed so badly, but something is clearly holding it up, my guess is on the Japanese end?

I dunno. Have there been any tv series licensed and released abroad outside of Asia?

I suppose the "kimi ni todoke" movie will make it to the US at least. I'd like to see Solanin as well, since we will wait forever to see that one adapted into an anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That Speed Racer movie that we all didn't go to see in the theatres was originally attached to Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp to play the title role;

At one point, Stallone was considered for directing, and Chris O' Donnell was considered for the lead. Also, Travolta might've once been Racer X.

Quote:
Before the money dried up and the company imploded, ADV Films claimed to have $50 million in funding and a deal with Weta Workshop to help create a live-action Evangelion movie. Didn't happen.

Didn't happen yet. But like the LA HALO, it might come back.

Quote:
So if you find yourself panicking at the thought of an over-the-hill Keanu Reeves playing Spike Spiegel or Leonardo DiCaprio using his star power to create an Akira movie that takes place in New York and stars Justin Bieber as Tetsuo, don't fret just yet - until there's a budget, director, cast, and shooting schedule, these exciting proposals are just that - proposals.

Hopefully with a budget, 'cus we don't need another DB:E.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3