• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Composer Satoru Kousaki on Hiatus Due to Health

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The curse strikes again. People in the anime, manga, and Jgames are getting sick or even dieing out of the blue. Its a conspiracy.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Considering his potpourri, and numerous, compositions and that he was doing three anime this season alone, with two more to come in the next, Kousaki getting sick doesn't come as too much of a surprise, unfortunately (and if the workload was the primary factor, he certainly wouldn't be the first Japanese person to risk their health in such manner). As much of a fan I am of his work, it's definitely in his best interest to get some rest and get away from the grind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
The curse strikes again. People in the anime, manga, and Jgames are getting sick or even dieing out of the blue. Its a conspiracy.

Yeah, because we peasants are told about our future illnesses beforehand.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:

It's called being overworked. Japan expects too much out of people, and it takes a toll out of them.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:

It's called being overworked. Japan expects too much out of people, and it takes a toll out of them.

Though to be honest, some of the fault also lies with the individual themselves for pushing themselves to such lengths…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Though to be honest, some of the fault also lies with the individual themselves for pushing themselves to such lengths…

Never been under professional pressure before? It's that kind of pressure when you know no one else besides you can do it, and you end up succumbing to the pressure. It's pretty much like knowingly walking through a crumbling bridge; except that in this case your instincts (primarily fear) won't be there to protect ya.
I'm currently under the same thing, but of course a lot lighter since this isn't Japan. I could imagine the distress it causes if abused for years.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, he has done some impressive work, and so much too. The Disappearance Soundtrack is beautiful, one of my favorite movie soundtracks.

I hope some time off will help him get better.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I feel for the guy, but at the same time his music is pretty generic sounding overall and rarely well-received by critics so I'm not sure how big a loss it's going to be to the industry. The focus should be on his health in my opinion and what this action could mean for the politics of the industry. Personally I can't blame him at all for wanting to take a break from his work, especially since he works in Japan where death due to overwork is a legitimate medical issue that is killing people at an unfortunate rate.

Hopefully he sets a bit of an example for other people in the industry as a statement that they shouldn't have to sacrifice their overall health and well-being to earn a meager living and that it should be okay to take a break.
jabjal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
If he's responsible for Kouchou Kouchou he's my hero
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe he just lost interest.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Honestly I feel for the guy, but at the same time his music is pretty generic sounding overall and rarely well-received by critics so I'm not sure how big a loss it's going to be to the industry.

The soundtrack to Star Driver is great. I was actually surprised that it's the same guy as Haruhi.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Honestly I feel for the guy, but at the same time his music is pretty generic sounding overall and rarely well-received by critics so I'm not sure how big a loss it's going to be to the industry.

The soundtrack to Star Driver is great. I was actually surprised that it's the same guy as Haruhi.

Same here I'm really liking his Star Driver soundtrack so I just hope that he was able finish writing all the music needed for the show already and that they don't have to twist around earlier music for proper music for the biggest events no doubt still coming up.

How many episodes is Star Driver supposed to be?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1