• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Shin Koihime†Musō & Otome Tairan, AkaSaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES!!!

Did I mention that I'm happy? I thought we were only going to get the first season of Koihime Musou. I hate incomplete releases. This announcement has made my day...well, that and being off work due to severe weather conditions. Plus I'm going to a Krav Maga class tonight...today is awesome. May Thursday the 9th of December 2010 be forever embedded in my mind as an awesome day.

Not to sound like I'm going over the top or anything though.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I will also buy Glass Mask if I know that I can get all of it. Grrrr.

And that is exactly why we probably won't be getting the rest of Glass Mask. Sentai can't work off of that kind of talk. They said that they'd release the rest of Glass Mask if sales on the first half increase. All they're looking at are actual sales, not how many people are saying "I'll buy it when I know all of it is coming out."

Sometimes you just have to risk something to get all of it, and that doesn't just apply to the licensors, but to the anime fans who actually buy DVDs. You want the rest of Glass Mask? As the old saying goes, "Put your money where your mouth is"; I bought the first collection with plans to watch it. The second half may not ever come out, but at least I bought it so I contributed to the chances of it being fully released.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:

Anyone have a comparison of Guin Saga. If its a fantasy show like Utawarerumono then I think I'll have to skip it. After watch Utawarerumono I think I'm done with the fantasy genre, it's just not for me.

That's probably wise. Guin Saga is a cross between Conan the barbarian and Lord of the Rings with extra politics. I love the show but if you have any issues with the fantasy genre you should stay far away from this one.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It was already mentioned before - I think on one of the ANNCasts - that Glass Mask didn't sell as well as they hoped, and in order to release more the first half needs to sell more.

It bites, considering I also love Glass Mask, but the best solution to do is this: buy the first half, supporting S23 and Sentai, then watch the second half on Crunchyroll for free in order to complete the series. At least that way you still watch the whole thing while supporting getting the second half released on DVD.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Argumentation is okay. Name-calling, not so much. At least try to be more indirect. -TK]
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
So I see title after title being licensed, the credibility of anyone saying that the anime industry is in trouble, is flying out the window. Hope there is a big enough audience for these niche titles.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not really interested in these shows but the more I see Sentai grabbing these the more and more I think that maybe someday School Days will be licensed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm not really interested in these shows but the more I see Sentai grabbing these the more and more I think that maybe someday School Days will be licensed.

That would be sweet. The perfect gift for anyone who likes romance shows, heh-heh-heh...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
Didn't Shin Koihime Muso get a Blu-Ray release in Japan? Or was that just an upscale?

Yes it did, and it looked OK. Most likely an upscale, but much superior to both TV and DVD.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

And that is exactly why we probably won't be getting the rest of Glass Mask. Sentai can't work off of that kind of talk. They said that they'd release the rest of Glass Mask if sales on the first half increase. All they're looking at are actual sales, not how many people are saying "I'll buy it when I know all of it is coming out."

Sometimes you just have to risk something to get all of it, and that doesn't just apply to the licensors, but to the anime fans who actually buy DVDs. You want the rest of Glass Mask? As the old saying goes, "Put your money where your mouth is"; I bought the first collection with plans to watch it. The second half may not ever come out, but at least I bought it so I contributed to the chances of it being fully released.

You know, this argument would have been fair to me if S23 had stated that fact up front, and offered the second season for pre-order (like Aniplex has offered pre-orders with Durarara). I would have even ordered a couple extra of the first season for friends along with my pre-order for the second. Instead, they treated this title like Viz has done with Monster.

I know, I actually AGREE with you, overall. I've been buying Eyeshield 21 and Gintama as they have been released, and am happy with my sets of Special A, and Ghost Hound. They are SO getting my money for Giun Saga. It's not like I don't support them.

I'll still get around to ordering Glass Mask, though this title has never been that high priority for me. If S23 had indicated that the second season was dependent on sales of the first, it would have bumped that priority up considerably. Sure, maybe it is unfair of me to judge S23 by the behavior of other companies (I'm looking at you, Viz!), but I've been burned enough times that I am cautious now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
You know, this argument would have been fair to me if S23 had stated that fact up front, and offered the second season for pre-order (like Aniplex has offered pre-orders with Durarara). I would have even ordered a couple extra of the first season for friends along with my pre-order for the second. Instead, they treated this title like Viz has done with Monster.

Well, first off there's no indication that Sentai even licensed the second half. For proof, look at The Anime Network's website: Their stream for the show only goes up to episode 26, just like the DVDs. Glass Mask just might have been that risky of a title that Sentai wasn't even comfortable with licensing 51 episodes of the show, and the fact that they were selling the first half in one giant collection instead of two 13-episode sets makes that idea all the more plausible.
Also, the way Aniplex USA works in different from Sentai. Not every company can solicit that months ahead, since they may not know exactly how long each title will take to work on. Sentai always solicits three months in advance and that's all they can do right now.

Quote:
I know, I actually AGREE with you, overall. I've been buying Eyeshield 21 and Gintama as they have been released, and am happy with my sets of Special A, and Ghost Hound. They are SO getting my money for Giun Saga. It's not like I don't support them.

Great to see you say that, especailly for Eyeshield 21 and Gintama. Those two shows are long shows, and right now the only thing we can say definitely is that Sentai licensed the first 52 episodes of Eyeshield 21 and the first 49 episodes of Gintama. In order to get more of those shows there needs to be people buying them, and the same is true for Glass Mask.

Quote:
I'll still get around to ordering Glass Mask, though this title has never been that high priority for me. If S23 had indicated that the second season was dependent on sales of the first, it would have bumped that priority up considerably. Sure, maybe it is unfair of me to judge S23 by the behavior of other companies (I'm looking at you, Viz!), but I've been burned enough times that I am cautious now.

I can understand priority, as I didn't buy Glass Mask immediately either, but once I had a chance to get it I went for it. Also, no company is going to release part of a show and say that future releases will depend on sales for two reasons:
1. It's kind of implied, especially for longer shows.
2. Admitting that your not so sure about releasing more of a show is only going to make people more nervous about buying it. Yeah, you might get a few more people buying it but at the same time there will be people who will think "Well, if you're not sure if you'll be releasing all of it then I think it truly is best to wait and see!", and then you're back to square-one.

Cautiousness is fine and warranted, but at the same time it will often get you nowhere. I generally do feel that if one person thinks something then there are plenty of others who think the same thing, so if you're thinking being cautious is the best thing to do and let others be the "adventurous ones", then just remember that there will be plenty of others who are going to be thinking the same way.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Totally fantastic to finally see Guin Saga info, been really looking forward to that release and totally worth the wait, dual-language + it's getting Blu-ray treatment, freaking awesome!
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I will be picking up Akane-iro. spoiler[Its late twist is kinda...eh. I wouldn't have minded it if they had built it as much as the main romance plot.] But even with that I still liked it for the most part.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Great to see you say that, especailly for Eyeshield 21 and Gintama. Those two shows are long shows, and right now the only thing we can say definitely is that Sentai licensed the first 52 episodes of Eyeshield 21 and the first 49 episodes of Gintama. In order to get more of those shows there needs to be people buying them, and the same is true for Glass Mask.

Glass Mask fell off my radar after its nebulous announcement, which didn't really indicate how much of the show was licensed. I guess, for me, the implications of "support, and we'll get more" was a lot more obvious with the announcements of Gintama and Eyeshield 21, since they are such long shows. They became more of a priority for me since the implications of future licensing was more explicit and obvious. Time passed, and other priorities get bumped up the list. Unfortunately, I have a limited amount of money that I can invest in this stuff. (I wish that weren't true, but it is), and like I said before, I DO intend to buy the first season of Glass Mask... just maybe not now.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
My apologies, I thought most people who have the "MY Anime" button enable wouldn't mind if others checked out their collection. Don't act like you are special, I often check other people anime. Not always to counter something they've said but to get a idea of what kind of fan they are.

And I also have to apologize for addressing you at all. I forgot for a second that you are a hot-headed ass. Completely my mistake, and it won't happen again.

Alright man. If you're saying it wasn't like that then fine. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Again though, I clearly said I liked a lot of their earlier licensing choices which is why I've been disappointed by the last dozen things they've picked up. All those titles you listed fall into the prior group, not the latter. Don't get all pissy with me because you made a mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3