• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part One

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Still listening to the ANNCast (and highly enjoying this episode, making lots of notes), but fyi, it looks like they reissued Millenium Actress as you can now easily get it new at Amazon for under $12 (and cheaper still from the marketplace).
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Man... where do you guys ask these questions??? I mean, sure I might've missed it if it was advertised on ANN's main page, but where did you guys post "What's your Top 3 animes?" at?

Aside from that, I have to say that my Top 10 are(and this was made heartily, but loosely):
1. Welcome to the NHK!
2. The Tatami Galaxy
3. Koi Kaze
4. Eureka Seven
5. Fullmetal Alchemist(1st series] And yes, it's irony that it coincides with Zac's)
6. Now and Then, Here and There
7. Martian Successor Nadesico
8. Oh! Edo Rocket
9. Casshern Sins
10. Yu Yu Hakusho

TBH, I was too surprised that Only Yesterday was in Justin's list, let alone that you guys watched it!
Also truth be told, I consider that movie to be one of the bestspoiler[me noting especially the PERFECT use of that ending song!] Takahata movie. It's that movie that convinced me that he's a more versatile director than Miyazaki.

I'm a bit surprised that Zac's all-time fav is Rev. Girl Utena(combining it with the movie was a just decision), but FAR more surprised that FMA is there.

Neon Genesis Evangelion alone would've been questionable, but combining it with End of Evangelion(which is... one of my favorite anime movies) made it a worthy choice.

I don't put movies in my favorite(s) list simply because they're rather easy choices; easy to rate, easy to love/hate, it's just... not very sporting IMO.
I'm not saying your guys' lists are biased or not passionate, but that's just something I don't do.

I haven't finished the show yet, but great lists guys, very diverse, tasteful, broadened, and interesting.
Great job!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Man... where do you guys ask these questions??? I mean, sure I might've missed it if it was advertised on ANN's main page, but where did you guys post "What's your Top 3 animes?" at?

Zac sent out the request in his twitter and in the Community forums.
Zags

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I must say my reaction to Transformers 2 was rather similar to Justin's. Now the part of that movie I can say I actually enjoyed was the 30 seconds where Sideswipe cuts a car in half.

And thank you, thank you for the love of God for putting Last Airbender in there. God.

Even though I didn't recognize 75% of the anime/movies you guys were talking about, it was rather enjoyable to listen to (mostly bashing on the worst movies though.) Can't wait to hear the next segment. When I'll spend another two hours straight hours sitting in front of my computer.

...Wait that's actually a common occurrence for me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I just started listening, but I have to say that I am SHOCKED that Justin and not only have the same opinion of Kite, but also of Liberator. Justin and I never agree on anything, so I was taken back when I heard him say Kite was his number ten and that he disliked it's craptastic sequel, if you can even call it that.

Now if you excuse me, I need to continue on.

EDIT: And then there was a slight pause after you read my list and said Kanon. Oh well, I'm sure a lot of people heard that and twinged.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The Happening, ugh I went to see that on a date, and I'm not sure if I can blame that film on causing that person I went on a date with to choose someone who lived on the other side of the United States instead of me.

I would have gone with the Battlefield Earth as on my worst list because it on on top bad movies list, but that would have been a cop out answer to give.

Ugh the bad list, boy I'm going to have to watch some of this garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
awesome show! tons of fun.

yea, The Happening nearly made it on my top bad list. gah.

can't wait for the next installment!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Should have gotten in on submitting my top 3 since I can only list my top 3 anime and then it becomes quite variable.
1. Fullmetal Alchemist (the first one)
2. Read or Die (OVA and Series together)
3. Hellsing Ultimate
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Finished the podcast; that was great. The worst films commentary was awesome.

To justify why Twilight made my worst list: I really don't go out of my way to see bad movies. I have a huge enough backlog as it is, and there's just so many good/entertaining movies out there, I tend to skip all the dreck, so my "least favorite" lists tend to be really small because most things will at least hit "ehh, it was ok." Twilight I watched when a friend came to visit for laughs, and we were entertained by the badness for about half an hour, and then we got bored out of our minds at the inanity and bad acting and went to bed. Alcohol did not even improve the movie. I really wanted it to be a "so bad it's good" movie so we could have a laughfest, but it couldn't even muster that. It was just... lame.

Looking forward to next week!
Evelas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Such a fun ANNCast to listen to, especially hearing about the bottom 10 movies...such hilarious commentary! Looking forward to Part 2!

I'd put my top 3 anime titles as being Higurashi, Tokyo Godfathers, then Interstella.

Zac, you are awesome for including Interstella on your list. Being a big Daft Punk fan, it is one of the highlights of my DVD collection. Can't believe that Justin, saying he's an electronica fan, doesn't like Daft Punk, but yeah, they do have their moments of not being very good. *coughHumanAfterAllcough*

I bought the DVD of Please Save My Earth and watched it a long time ago...I don't remember if I liked it or not, but the way you describe it, Justin, I may need to dig it up and watch it again.

Dreamcatcher. OMG that movie sucked. Dreamcatcher is also one of the few Stephen King books I did not like. I would put it as my personal worst movie ever, simply because of how disgusted I was after seeing it. spoiler[(and I don't mean disgusted at the, uh, aliens method of showing themselves, the whole movie was just...ugh.)] And thanks Zac for the description, was trying really hard not to laugh out loud in my cube at work. Anime hyper

I'm like Justin on those three M. Night Shyamalan movies; I heard how bad they were so I wasn't touching them at all. LOL, I remember seeing the original teaser for Lady In The Water with my best friend, and when it faded in the "story by M. Night Shyamalan" at the end, we were like, "Holy crap, this'll be good!" Uh, yeah, he sure has fallen from grace since then. Razz

Gaw, I remember seeing that Flintstones commercial when I was a kid. Thanks for getting that darn song stuck in my head! ><
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that Redline is too new to properly evaluate in terms of canon, I reject the idea that my pick of it was just exuberance from just seeing it in the theater.

I only picked movies, since I find it hard to compare movies and TV series, and I think it stands up as an important work. It obviously doesn't have political depth or gravitas of Akira or Patlabor 2, but it's not just a trite car racing story. There's real imagination and creativity there, with its world, music, and animation.

It's a similar work to Insterstella 5555 and FLCL.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Justin: Touch is my number one, at least one person took some initiative based on that article!
jhnnybgood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a couple of things I wanted to mention.

First off - House of the Dead. I can't believe that movie didn't make it on any of the worst movies lists. That had to be one of the worst adaptations (aside from Dragonball Evolution) that has ever been made. It was lazy, nonsensical, and was just downright unentertaining. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that none of the Uwe Boll movies made the cut. And I think I can say with confidence that none of them fit into the 'so bad it's good' category - least of all HotD!

Secondly, Spiderman 3 wasn't THAT bad. The film could have been saved if they had gotten rid of the Sandman character altogether and simply replaced Topher Grace with Thomas Hayden Church as Eddie Brock. I think what made the movie so bad was that it actually had a lot going for it, but it tried to do too much at once and failed. In any case, I'd still rather watch SM3 than even a single minute from either of the Joel Schumacher Batman films.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice lists, guys. Just to bring up Spider-Man 3, Sam Raimi (the director) has admitted that Sandman was the villian he wanted to have be the main focus, as he prefers the old-school Spidey villians, and the only reason Venom was added in was simply because he was the most-requested villian that the fans wanted. I think it was pretty obvious by watching the movie that Raimi didn't exactly want Venom in the movie and was pretty much just saying "There, Venom's in the movie! Happy now?!"

As for the Worst Anime lists... Oh boy, if there aren't going to be any Buried Garbage entries (as I would guess that BG entries were ones that Justin found "so bad they're good" or at least entertaining), then I can't wait to see the lists. I'll just make one guess on Justin's list: AWOL -Absent WithOut Leave-... Oh man, I only saw the first two episodes of that show, dubbed at that, and they were just painful to watch. I can safely say that the only good things about AWOL are the opening and ending themes; how a show like that got a song by hide as its opening theme astounds me.

Oh, and if either of you have Gundoh Musashi on your lists, then I still doubt how credible either of you including it is... Because I doubt neither of you two have seen more than one episode of that show. No anime can possibly be so incompetently produced as that one; it manages to be "So Bad That It's Good That It's Bad Again", and that's only from seeing the first 11 episodes! I'm truly afraid at watching any more of it... And I honestly want to give it a fair shake of a review!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Justin: Actually agree w/ you on Mars Attacks. Should've been so much better. Despite what people think about the Apes remake, for me, it was actually the start of Burton's decline, with the exception of Sweeney Todd.

Quote:
Nobody was able to tell this woman, "Stop"

Supposedly, she still had a contract for a movie of her choice, which is why it happened.

Quote:
Rock And Roll High Forever

Haven't seen it, but as long as you still think the original is a classic, it's all good. Cool

Quote:
Heathcliff the Movie

Damn did I forget what was in that cartoon. Still, nothing beats the 80s Chipmunk cartoon movie for shitty animated tv spin-offs.

Oh, and FYI, it is on DVD.

Zac: I think you meant Chris Kattan. Cool It's amazing how much of a career you can get out of a Roxbury sketch. Laughing

As for Problem Child, to me, that was a guilty pleasure, and at least more honest with its audience than Home Alone.

Quote:
Burton's Alice in Wonderland

I was bored by it, myself, but didn't hate it, perse.

Quote:
It had no business being called Alice in Wonderland

It felt like a bad Utena fan-fic to me, myself.

Quote:
Alice in Wonderland 2

Yeah, I thought going for the "Return to Oz" angle was lame, too.

Quote:
Dreamcatcher

They played the trailer at the Cinefamily, and it was pretty bad.

Quote:
10,000 B.C.

I got it mixed up w/ that Michael Cera/Jack Black movie for a sec. Laughing

Quote:
[Airbender] made money

Well, it only made it, 'cus it came out right after that equally lame Karate Kid remake, and so it was the benefit of the rare cash-in phenomenon. If it was released on its own, it'd probably bomb like that new Narnia movie.

Quote:
A lot of people hate E.T. now

Probably 'cus Stevie keeps recycling that irriating sentimentalism in his other films. Me, I was a Gremlins/Indiana Jones kid. Plus, part of me feels like he's supposed to be a cipher for Reagan.

Quote:
Daredevil

I heard the DC's good.

Oh, and since you're the "so bad it's good" type, I seriously recommend you look on-line for Never Too Young To Die [Only on DVD in Europe] and Dungeon Master[Only on tape, unfortunately.]

As for any recent films I hated, it'd have to be Indy 4, Greenberg and Life During Wartime. For old-ass films, I'd have to say Mac and Me.

kyo-kun: I think you'll dig this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7