• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
There are so many movies on the Favorite Anime list, I'm worried that next week's Favorite Movie list is going to be repetitive. Maybe it should have been been split up as Favorite TV Series and Favorite Movies?

Uh.. yeah, just like the worst movies had no anime in it, neither does the best movies category.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
But does he know of the movie that apparently had a box office sale of roughly $3.25?

Well that's not even possible (unless it's a really really old movie), since ticket prices start at $8 these days. But I think you're referring to the lowest-grossing film in history, Zyzzyx Road, which grossed $30 TOTAL, not per-screen. (You can't really fairly call that a disaster, though, since it was intentionally shown with no marketing at all just once a day at noon at a single theater in Texas to fulfill a contractual obligation.)

Yeah, I was talking about Zyzzyx Road. And just to be slightly random, that movie could easily be confused with Zyzzyx, another independent movie that was released in the same year, and apparently even had a similar premise (not quite sure on that last bit, though).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
There are so many movies on the Favorite Anime list, I'm worried that next week's Favorite Movie list is going to be repetitive. Maybe it should have been been split up as Favorite TV Series and Favorite Movies?

Uh.. yeah, just like the worst movies had no anime in it, neither does the best movies category.

I'd only listened to half the podcast when I wrote that. Guess I should have finished it first. Anime smile + sweatdrop
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
10- Saber Marionette J

I couldn't help but smile when I read that. SMJ is such an under-appreciated show and I'm glad to have confirmation I'm not the only person who knows it even exists. I have yet to see the sequel series because Bandai has a different voice cast for each installation, but I do have them in the Ultimate Collection.

And I'm really glad I stuck it out for the movie part. I'm not that interested in movies, so I was going to skip it, but I remembered it was the worst movies, so odds are it would be hilarious. And it was. I'll probably skip the second half next week, though, since it'll probably be a bunch of movie nerd talk. I am looking forward to your worsts lists just to see how many shows I love are in your alls lists. That'll be good times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Has Zac actually seen a lot of Seiji Mizushima anime? I mean he talks about Mizushima like his some guy who includes mass atrocities in all his work. Not even in Gundam 00 did we ever see something like the Ishval massacre, hell Mizushima and Aikawa didn't even create the Ishval Massacre, that was found in the original manga where it was Arakawa's way of showing her thoughts on the oppression of the Ainu by the Japanese government (she grew up in Hokkaido). She also based a lot of it on the Japanese atrocities committed during WW II such as the use of human experimentation.

Of course I would totally watch Hanmaru Kindergarten if they slaughtered another kindergarten.

My top 5 anime list would be
1. Giant Robo
2. Gurren Lagann
3. Mobile Fighter G Gundam
4. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
5. Gundam 0080
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Writing as I listen to the top anime:

I do say, the Please Save My Earth OVA covers the first 7 and 3/4ths volumes of the manga. Still, a mention of the PSME OVA, hooray! The OVA mostly just told me to get the manga which I think blew the OVA out of the water. I also saw the OVA first, I still think it's a great way to see if you'd want to read the manga.

And Interstella 5555, definitely reminded me why anime can be cool. I've still yet to see anything else quite like it. Can't quite say that FLCL ever gave me a similar feeling though, I only found it to ever be average.

And man, I haven't been able to watch a Satoshi Kon movie since....y'know, it's just too soon! I might have to fix that since it's the holiday season and instead of watching one of those claymation things, I prefer to watch Tokyo Godfathers at this time of year.

Haibane Renmei is something I'm having trouble convincing myself to watch, after all, I am not a fan of Serial Experiments Lain and I'm sure they're pretty far removed from each other but....my brain just refuses to disassociate them. I dunno, maybe someday.

I gotta say, I found Revolutionary Girl Utena to be too long of a series, I'm not sure why it needed 39 episodes, I think it could've done it just fine in 26. But when it comes to shojo, and anime in general, my number one is easily Princess Tutu. Brilliant use of classic (non Disnified) fairytales, epic fights against fate, and the excellent music choice, I think it breathes more symbolism and subtlety in than I had originally thought despite my first enjoy through. I actually saw Utena after Princess Tutu (by a good while), and they're easily the most similar anime to each other, but I think Princess Tutu spoiled me and Utena just didn't hold up to it for me.
So then I'd call my top 4 or so
1) Princess Tutu
2) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
3) Outlaw Star (it gets bumped higher due to nostalgic reasons I'll admit)
4) Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Listening to the worst movies:

*goes to IMDb to see what some of these movies are*

Hmm, well I have *a* worst movie, not sure if I've got a top/bottom 3 ready here, but Juno, dear lord did I hate that movie. Terrible dialogue, "comedy", characters, how did this win a screenplay?

Oh yeah, I almost forget, M. Night graced us with The Last Airbender this year, did he? I'm a huge fan of the show and....wow, my poor inner child. This movie made the world feel like Christmas was cancelled forever. Every movie ticket should have come with a free coupon to go kick M. Night in the balls. I honestly think Dragon Ball Evolution was a better movie (and that's hard to say). And it seems that the ANNcast also put Last Airbender as a worse movie than DBE. I feel like it'd be one thing if Last Airbender were simply a bad movie, but it was also a terrible adaptation of something amazingly good Crying or Very sad

Boy, I really haven't seen most of the movies listed, I think that makes me a very fortunate person. I was also expecting to see Biodome on there.
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Being a gigantic movie buff, I was eager to hear your bottom 10 list and as I listed, I realized something. All of those movies you mentioned are bad (Except Mars Attacks. Love that film), but they still aren't as bad the films I've seen except for Pocket Ninjas. That is the number 3 worst film I've ever seen. The second worst was After Last Season and the number one for me was Monster A-Go Go. You haven't lived until you seen that film uncut without the MST3K riff backing it up.

Also, Star Wars Episode I isn't unwatchable like you mention.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Good lists!
My top 10 anime would be:
1. Bakemonogatari
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
3. Gankutsuou
4. The Tatami Galaxy
5. Macross Frontier
6. FLCL
7. BECK
8. Lucky Star
9. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
10. Magic Users Club OVA
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Haibane Renmei is something I'm having trouble convincing myself to watch, after all, I am not a fan of Serial Experiments Lain and I'm sure they're pretty far removed from each other but....my brain just refuses to disassociate them. I dunno, maybe someday.

You're breaking my heart, and not just because I decided to list Haibane Renmei in my top 3. It's a show I hold off rewatching as long as possible just so I can savor the viewing experience when I finally do break down and reach for the DVDs. While it's impossible to really know anther's tastes, glancing at your My Anime list, I would guess you'd enjoy it. About the only thing it has in common with Serial Experiments Lain (which, in fairness, I also really liked) are some production staff and Abe's character designs. It really isn't a show to be missed. Crying or Very sad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
The second worst was After Last Season and the number one for me was Monster A-Go Go. You haven't lived until you seen that film uncut without the MST3K riff backing it up.

Also, Star Wars Episode I isn't unwatchable like you mention.

I've seen After Last Season, actually. I slot it in with stuff like The Room, even though After Last Season is nigh-unbearable, because it simply must be seen by connoisseurs of the terrible. It's in its own special, terrible place.

I've also seen Monster A-Go-Go without the MST track and still felt including it would break the rule of nothing that was on MST. If I was gonna have rules, best stick to 'em.

Calling Star Wars Episode I "unwatchable" is hyperbole but the film is dreadful and worst of all quite boring.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Color me amongst those who just didn't "get" Utena, or the fuss made over it. Having seen the series and the movie it was like -for me- if David Lynch got all "Twin Peaks" on directing a B-grade Duran Duran cover band movie from the 80's (after doing a pound of mescaline). That show was 24/7 trippin' balls!

I was also saddened that more wasn't made of the Yuri themes in Utena as I love me some yuri.

But you know what, that's OK. Too each there own.

Color me also surprised that One Piece didn't make Zac's list, or that Bebop didn't get an honorable mention, or crack the top ten. But still, with so many great things (and even more horrible ones), there are only so many spaces available--it's a tough call.

Speaking of underrated classics (what a horrible segue), I loved the hell out of Princess Tutu! Duck and Mr. Cat were freakin' hilarious, the music was tight, and the story fierce. Knowing nothing about ballet or the like, that show really hooked me deep. I loved it; great dub, too.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Please Save My Earth I borrowed from a friend way back when I first started getting into anime, and it had to have been one of the first ever to just have me sobbing my eyes out by the end of it all. I remember it getting so bad at some points I couldn't even read the subtitles because of all the tears.

I keep forgetting to get the dvd, but I do happily own the manga.

Escaflowne- the Movie. It see it the same way as I see Utena; a seperate retelling of the series but with a fantastic budget that is always a nice treat to revisit. Fantastic soundtracks to both of them.

I'm honestly surprised at how well known FLCL is to the non-anime fans, which is of course thanks to Cartoon Network's reruns. Sure, people outside my generation probably don't know jack, but while working an extremely busy costume shop for Halloween this past fall I put to use some of my various cosplay costumes, and my Haruko costume was the most popular of the bunch and most recognized. Some people couldn't remember her name, but non-stop through the whole day people would run up to me going "You're that girl from the crazy anime they showed on cartoon network with the guitar, aren't you!?" Haruko Haruhara was more recognizable to general college guys in Boston than Ramona Flowers and Sandman's Death put together over Halloween weekend, and I didn't even have my Rickenbacker with me.

Warriors of the Wind... ugh. That unfortunately was my first exposure to the film, and then a couple years later a Japanese penpal sent me a raw VHS copy which I sat through and discovered Nausicaa did not sound like an old lady, and there were some lovely scenes they removed for some odd reason.

Only thing I don't love about Utena is that damn stair case. Many a time did I throw something (not hard) at the tv as I had to get up the fast forward my four Utena vhs. Those weird choruses reminded me of Beatnik style poetry readings. Seeing Utena at age 12 (found a vhs in Blockbuster with "From the Director of Sailor Moon) I think warped me, but in a fantastic way. I clung to everything about it, and in a way over all the re-watches I did through my teen years, and now my college years, I've grown with Utena, and still see and take from it things I never noticed earlier. Utena is THE anime for me, and I find it has even influenced my artwork.

I <3 Mars Attacks. It gets me giggling like no other Burton Film, and I love everything from the style, costumes, weird little alien gibberish, great cast, -EVERYTHING. You people are crazy to not like it. Sure, I didn't like it when it first came out as a kid, but as I got into my teen years viewing it I found it to be one of my favorite films. Course that's a big long favorite film list.

Glad to see Cardcaptor Sakura in people's lists as they post it. That series is hard to get a hold of now, but a major staple in shoujo anyone willing to give the genre a try to see - full of heart, great characters, and a great story even if it's on the "collect them all theme."

Poor Percy Jackson - great book series, but whoever they got to adapt it completely lost the whole point, and many vital scenes from the first book. Course that director isn't to go without blame too. I'd say I was about as disappointed with it as I was with the Airbender movie - why'd I have to have two things I love get such crappy adaptions in one year?
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to watch Utena, so I should probably put that on the top of the Netflix cue. Is it available to watch anywhere online at the moment (legit, of course)?

Since I'm one of those who loves Haibane Renmei I'm happy to see it at least got a fan mention. It's been my favorite since I first saw it, and it's still the first anime I show people who assume that it's all kids shows, big robots, or big boobs.

(Top three, since everyone else is:)
1) HR
2) Boogiepop Phantom
3) Only Yesterday

And I'm happy Only Yesterday made someone's list. I imported it from the UK a few years back and I had a similar reaction as Mr. Sevakis. It's one of the movies that I love going back and watching the details in the backgrounds and the facial expressions in the characters. And the ending....

I remember seeing the Heathcliff movie years later. Maybe it's because I saw the show and kind of enjoyed it, still I never knew that they put it in theaters. That's some pretty impressive laziness to put TV episodes of your cheap syndicated kids show on the big screen and charge for it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm still more of a fan of the Revolutionary Girl Utena TV series itself than the movie, on both an intellectual and an emotional level, but I'll admit the film is simply incredibly beautiful to look at and also has a very nice soundtrack to boot.

Justin's mention of Touch was interesting enough and made me remember that I still need to go back and finish it. Cross Game is great, yes, but I wouldn't want to take the easy way out and say it serves as replacement for the earlier show.

Speaking of series with similar or equivalent ideas...Makoto Shinkai's body of work also came to mind. I don't dislike his movies, in all honesty, but won't try to argue that it wouldn't be fine to see him and his talents move out of their apparent comfort zone. Perhaps he could direct a full TV show or something, if and when someone rounded up the right sponsors?

FLCL still gets plenty of buzz and hype, as far as I can tell, but I'm not in any hurry to prove those praises right or wrong myself. For whatever reason, I just haven't had the opportunity to watch it and make up my mind yet.

As for my personal favorites...I'm not much of a fan of rankings but, outside of the previously mentioned Utena which I'd usually be hard-pressed to leave out, my top 3 anime would probably consist of the following titles, in (essentially) no particular order:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Giant Robo
Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day

Basically, these are just three anime titles that have definitely influenced me as a viewer, for one reason or another, more than others which didn't immediately come to mind.

There's a few more series I could have presumably included on this list or a hypothetical top 10, by all means, but don't really feel like trying to debate their relative positions, merits or flaws at this time, so I'm sure the roster would look fairly different depending on my mood. Say, Higurashi may or may not have found its way up there and I could have tried to pick something from Studio Ghibli....but nah, I'd rather leave it at that for now.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Justin's mention of Touch was interesting enough and made me remember that I still need to go back and finish it. Cross Game is great, yes, but I wouldn't want to take the easy way out and say it serves as replacement for the earlier show.

I reply to this, more so because not many have mentioned Adachi's works, than anything else.
I find it both awesome and a little... "huh?" that Justin preferred Touch to Cross Game.

While I COMPLETELY agree with the fact Adachi recycles his storys into different ways(therefore capable of creating different stories/outcomes that way), I find that Cross Game accomplished more.
Both as a sports series that lets it's slice-of-life aspects take the spotlight, but not demote the importance and intensity of their baseball games, and for doing it ALL in just 50 eps.

And no, nightjuan, it's not a replacement.
Touch, IMO, was a series that actually got worse as it progressed. Not in a, "lack of quality" way, but in a "huh? What's this? I thought they'd be doing something different by now..." way.

Also, I prefer the wonderfully submissive romance in Cross Game than the restrictive, dragged-out, one in Touch.

Completely unrelated to this, Zac you gave glowing praise to Utena(which is warranted), but...
you gave similar praise to RahXephon.

Did you forget about it, or, looking back, wasn't something that you'd right home about?

Last edited by Otaking09 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7