• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Super Milk Chan 1-12 dub/sub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Super Milk Chan had more than one dub, didn't it? One that was a parody, sorta like Shin-Chan, and one that was more faithful to the original? If so, which dub is it? If not, I'm out of my mind. Razz
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
You're right, there's two, but the adapted version has lots of "behind the scenes with ADV Voice Actors" skits cut into it. This is the faithful dub.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
You're right, there's two, but the adapted version has lots of "behind the scenes with ADV Voice Actors" skits cut into it. This is the faithful dub.

Did you learn nothing from when Adult Swim had it?
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Say what, this is still licensed? And it's never even had a boxed set release. I can't even imagine how the bad the sales must've been.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
If you want to see the "non-straight" dub version, Anime Network has all four episodes of it on YouTube.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
So wait, there are two Milk-chan series? Did both get released on the DVDs ANN's linking to?
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yup.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I got excited when i saw this news... then i saw it was the horrible straight dub Sad

ADV's dub is hilarious, i highly recommend getting it if you can find it still.

Hoofbites wrote:
If you want to see the "non-straight" dub version, Anime Network has all four episodes of it on YouTube.

They did the entire series that way.

EDIT
nvm, they're bundling episodes. definitely watch that one.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I got excited when i saw this news... then i saw it was the horrible straight dub Sad

Just for the record, you know ADV did both versions... right?

Personally, I like them both, I could never get why it got so much hate.
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Anyone besides me having playback issues with the episode one dub? It's not playing at all for me. Sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Did you learn nothing from when Adult Swim had it?
The other dub, which we could call the "Fosterized" version, was streaming here on ANN/elsewhere during 2009. So you can't really accuse ANN of "learning nothing" when they did in fact have the more Americanized dub first. I know I caught the first three volumes here, and then picked up the DVDs pretty cheap at Otakon. They do in fact have both dubs and the subtitled versions, of all episodes of both Milk-chan series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Hoofbites wrote:

They did the entire series that way.

EDIT
nvm, they're bundling episodes. definitely watch that one.

Um?????? what straight dub version was horrible? the version that showed on Adult Swim??? Cause i didn't. It was more like Funi's version of crayon shin chan which was definitely over the top and both felt like a South Park version of ADV's remake of Ghost Stories.

[quote] Some things, there is just no explanation for. Super Milk Chan is one of them [/b]

Ah. No kidding. though if there were an anime version of the ever over the top boondocks, you'd be saying that TEN FOLD!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
So there were two dubs? I had no idea. I only watched the one on AS a few years back. Was that the straight bad dub?
Metaflux

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching this show on AS when it debuted years ago and to be honest, I couldn't bring myself to watch more then the first two episodes. I have a limit on what I can handle for craziness, randomness, lack of storyline, and character roles. This show has to take the cake for me in terms of terrible everything. I literally felt like I was becoming dumber just exposing myself to something so utterly stupid and pointless. Really I like to think I have pretty lax standards when it comes to watching sub-par animations but I can only go so low. It's embarrassing to even call this Anime...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Well I would not go that far.

Compared to the horror that was 4kids not to mentioned some medicore dubs during the 70's and 80's when the entire anime industry was still only in it's infancy, milk chan was preety refreshing. Sure it's no crayon shin chan and it's definitely no ghost stories , but it's was definitely has it's moments.

Also i did not even knew there were two dubs in the first place. Wonder which version showed on Adult Swim? Cause to me the series was fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1