• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Brief Look at TIFFCOM

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I was curious about Koisento when I saw it on one of those upcoming anime pictures, but now I'm legitimately interested. Comparisons to Kon? Intriguing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
this episode felt like just another bland installment in a series that somehow survived the 90's anime/game boom.

Uh, .hack isn't that old, the original anime and first game premiered in 2002. Something can't "survive" a period it didn't exist during. But I'm not surprised you didn't like it, this was obviously made for fans of the franchise. While you're focusing on things like animation and story, we're looking for references and Easter eggs and other little things so we're getting something entirely different out of the show than a casual viewer will. I'm pretty excited to see this myself.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well of course. Go Nagai has moved on from the classic designs long time ago. See the 1990's Mazinsaga manga for reference, so that's 20 years ago. It features a very spiky and edgy Mazinger Z. The original Mazinger Z makes me think of cylinders, not eggs though. Shin Mazinger featured robot on robot action though, although they weren't the main focus of the show and that was a departure from the usual Mazinger fare. As for Mazinkaiser SKL. it seems to combine metal and mecha and I think that's kind of original by itself. I wish we could see more of this kind of stuff. Now I'm kind of interested in that King Thorn movie, but the reception seems bad. Still, I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited by SantaBla on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I've finally realised why that Appleseed preview image looks so familiar: Deunan and Briareos are sporting what resemble the Personal Armour and Power Suit (respectively) from the old X-com games.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm a tremendous nerd, I have a question: How different is this from MIPCOM?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, YamaPi's looking mighty good in that Ashita no Joe poster (left). I forgot that was coming out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
some pundits out there believe the OVA market is truly dead

The industry as a whole doesn't seem to think so, the next season is going see a crap ton of OVAs, OADs, ONAs, and whatever other acronyms you can come up with getting released. Though most of them are building off of established franchises, so maybe the pundits are saying the OVA market isn't the place to develop new properties?

The straight-to-DVD line up actually includes most of the titles I'm looking forward to. There's a couple of TV shows I have hopes for, but compared to new Votoms, Black Lagoon, Mazinkaiser, not to mention Tailenders and the Supernatural anime, they're looking kind of weak. I've been particulaly optimistic about Koisento, and am pleased as punch to hear its getting good buzz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1