• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Tokyo Assembly Passes Youth Ordinance Bill

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
There is this Japanese girl on DA who is writing journals about this matter, even if her English isn't perfect you could be interested in reading them since it's first-hand material from someone who actually lives in Japan and is Japanese (and anime/manga fan).

Here you are:
http://haluka-mugen.deviantart.com/journal/36951237/
http://haluka-mugen.deviantart.com/journal/36972466/

I wrote my own opinion on the matter there. In general, I'm a bit worried about the situation: not only for what is happening in Japan, but for some western laws too. To me, it seems that some people are too worried about what happens in fiction, instead than focusing on reality and on the responsibility of parents and of people in general for their own behaviour when interacting with other people.
Instead, they blame fictional media like videogames, manga and so on.

It's sad... and stupid. And these arguments can be easily used to manipulate the general opinion of people who aren't informed enough to know what is actually happening, or are overly moralistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
For those curious how this is going in Japan, here's one parent's opinion on it, quote-unquote in response to a 15-yr-old American teenager:

This is just one parent's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. It's just a slice of how it is with people who are actually living in Japan.

So Japanese parents are as cowardly as American parents.
I can't remember how many times I would have a parent call asking one of the officers I work with to order his/her child being supervised by the courts to go to school or stop arguing with siblings/the parent/etc.

Quote:
However, (I assume) you are a long way yet from becoming a responsible parent,

Parent here. When my daughter asked about stuff, I'd tell her in terms I thought were appropriate. I distinctly remember a line I'd use "grown-up stuff" which immediately translated to "dull, boring junk kids have no interest in" so
Quote:
I don't want to see these magazines banned, or the content restricted for over 18's - but I WOULD like it to be less obvious wherever we go with the children, and to know that my kids won't be able to (easily) get their hands on it.

was not an issue. I took her to her first R movie when she was 8. I said if she had any questions, I would answer them. If she was upset, I told her we would leave. If I saw something I felt she shouldn't see, I would cover her eyes & she wouldn't try to peek or we'd leave. This worked as long as I took her to R movies (though by the time she was 14, maybe even 12, I had no real issues & don't recall covering her eyes).
Children are bright, intelligent creatures. A child seeing a Playboy or Hustler in a 7-11 isn't going to be scarred for life any more than they were scarred by Janet Jackson's little wardrobe malfunction. My daughter was the one who wanted Fake & Gravitation so I bought it for her & read it along with her. I actually never liked Fake, but Gravitation was lots of fun & I now have an enormous yaoi collection while she has left manga & anime behind for WoW, but she had to be 12 or 13 when I was buying Fake & Gravi for her. My mother allowed me to read whatever I wanted as a teen because she believed she had brought me up well & I believed the same about my daughter.

Not only would censoring her reading material say I didn't believe in her, but it would also say I had no faith in the job I did bringing her up. She just made her first trip alone (20 yrs old) to New York. I was a wreck & didn't sleep waiting for her to text me, but my fear was someone else harming her & not at all she would do anything to harm herself while she was there (drugs. alcohol. whatever) & she went to see Rammstein.

If you bring a child up to make proper decisions, what can a parent have to fear? One cannot bubblewrap one's child to keep one's child safe from the world.

Ishihara is an ass if he believes a child who is not a homosexual or a bisexual will be "turned" by reading yaoi or yuri. Since they cannot be made gay, there's really no harm in their reading it, is there?

Come on--there's a whole lot of sex & violence in the Bible & a lot of it really doesn't have to be there. You know they put it in there to keep people awake in church. And we let kids sit in church hearing about Jesus being nailed to a cross from very, very young ages in the West, don't we? We don't need to cover naked lawn statues at Walmart because they are "dirty".

This bill is pandering to voters' fears just as our politicians here in the US played on this last election season.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.... so.... no more tentacle rape? Confused
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I tried to ask this before, but I was glossed over. I apologize for having to ask it again. There is no way that such legislation can effect existing individual collections, right? Therefore, how does this effect the sale of used material? Or, say, material on eBay or similar websites?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
My daughter was the one who wanted Fake & Gravitation so I bought it for her & read it along with her. I actually never liked Fake, but Gravitation was lots of fun & I now have an enormous yaoi collection while she has left manga & anime behind for WoW,

Haha, then you had not raised her that well (kidding)! Laughing

R315r4z0r wrote:

Only if you're under 18.
Then again, if you get your parent/guardian's permission, you could still get it. Just like going to R-rated movie. Wink

vashna wrote:
I tried to ask this before, but I was glossed over. I apologize for having to ask it again. There is no way that such legislation can effect existing individual collections, right? Therefore, how does this effect the sale of used material? Or, say, material on eBay or similar websites?

The used material will just be listed under the adult section, I guess, even though the material was previously sold in the teen section. It can get confusing during the transitional period. Laughing
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Thank you for answering my question! So even resale shops would have to follow certain restrictions? Not to say that's very much different from the United States or anything, of course.
Shoran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
So what's going to happen to all my lolicon?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
Shoran wrote:
So what's going to happen to all my lolicon?

YOUR lolicon in your hands is probably safe.
Your future unseen lolicon may be endangered depending on how far the various publishers care to push it. Tokyo is a big piece of the audience pie
Shoran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
LONG LIVE LOLICONS (and shotacons)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Thank you for answering my question! So even resale shops would have to follow certain restrictions?

Sure np. Used pr0n manga still have to be restricted, after all.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
More news from the DA journal from the Japanese girl I already linked some posts ago: http://haluka-mugen.deviantart.com/journal/36998125/

In the first comment she also linked some news on the matter published on the webpages of Japanese newspapers, if someone can translate them it could be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I read those DA posts from that girl. She is a very bright young lady.
vashna wrote:
Someone else asked a similar question, I'll repost my answer since it may help you out also.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1018464&highlight=#1018464
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

Only if you're under 18.
Then again, if you get your parent/guardian's permission, you could still get it. Just like going to R-rated movie. Wink

I was just trying to be funny. But regardless, from what I understand the bill to be, they are going to restrict the images in such material... and if the images aren't fixed, then the gov will do it themselves.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Past, thank you kindly, but I think you've misunderstood my question. I was asking if there was was any argument that existing collections needed to be weeded - ie literally having books sitting in your home.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

Only if you're under 18.

I was just trying to be funny. But regardless, from what I understand the bill to be, they are going to restrict the images in such material...

Ha, yeah, if the materials are targetting minors.
The age of majority in Japan BTW is 20 - sucks for them. Laughing

R315r4z0r wrote:

and if the images aren't fixed, then the gov will do it themselves.

Nah, the gov't won't do no such fixin' - they'd just bump it up to 18+ category. Laughing

vashna wrote:
Past, thank you kindly, but I think you've misunderstood my question. I was asking if there was was any argument that existing collections needed to be weeded - ie literally having books sitting in your home.

Nah, those are already sold and in your home - ain't nuthin' they can do 'bout that. This is about point-of-sale.

Now, if you try to sell 'em......... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19