• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece 'Hijacks' All Shueisha Magazines in February

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuOtoko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Go OP!

Create record after record.

Create a OP theme restaurant.

Take over the covers of every magazine a publishing company prints.

All that in like the last 3 to 4 months.

Keep up the good work Oda-sensei!
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, Shueisha has a lot of magazines!

These covers could be really fun. Very Happy
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Does that mean that Oda will have to make new colored artwork for all those magazines??!!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
This is an awful idea. One Piece is popular enough. There's no need for it to take covers away from needier series. Bad enough Weekly Shonen Jump is mostly OP/Naruto/Bleach.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this is kind of a terrible idea. Everyone in Japan who would be interested in One Piece already knows about. What does this achieve except consumer annoyance ("THERE IS NO ONE PIECE CHAPTER IN THIS!!!")?
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yeah, this is kind of a terrible idea. Everyone in Japan who would be interested in One Piece already knows about. What does this achieve except consumer annoyance ("THERE IS NO ONE PIECE CHAPTER IN THIS!!!")?

Yeah, except One Piece has actually continually become more popular over the past year. Sales of OP manga from 2010 were double those of 2009, at which point OP was already raking in more readers than any other manga.
Look at it this way, not only is there going to merchandise with all these things (which is good incentive for most people any way), but while this is indeed a marketing ploy it's also a huge celebration of One Piece, which is currently one of the most beloved media properties in the country. Living here, I don't think anyone is going to mind. I know I won't.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Ewww, I don't want that ugly crap on the cover of my shoujo mags. Confused
lys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I think this is hilarious :D I'll be looking out for Luffy on the covers of Margaret, Betsuma, Cookie... Anyway, it's just for one month, then everyone gets their normal covers back. Maybe a few One Piece fans will be tempted to check out other magazines and find new series to enjoy?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I can only assume that's the idea.
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
This is an awful idea. One Piece is popular enough. There's no need for it to take covers away from needier series. Bad enough Weekly Shonen Jump is mostly OP/Naruto/Bleach.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Ha ha ha, all the more reason this is awsome. Go One Piece!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Weekly... Playboy?

Twisted Evil That better be a Nami/Robin cover..
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
OtakuOtoko wrote:
Go OP!

And people wonder why I can't come to like this show. It's Naruto all over again, it's everywhere and no matter where I go, it's shoved in my face like green eggs and ham that I don't want. And yes, in One Piece's case, i've tasted it and it's far from the best damn thing i've ever tasted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
OtakuOtoko wrote:
Go OP!

And people wonder why I can't come to like this show. It's Naruto all over again, it's everywhere and no matter where I go, it's shoved in my face like green eggs and ham that I don't want. And yes, in One Piece's case, i've tasted it and it's far from the best damn thing i've ever tasted.

-one piece isn't too great until the arlong arc--from that point on, it's probably the best shonen manga currently running BY A LOT.

-why're you complaining unless you live in japan? one piece is hardly an overexposed series like bleach or naruto in north america. you have absolutely nothing to whine about unless you live in japan.

-something being ridiculously hyped doesn't in any way take away from the quality of the series. the creator has no control over things like this, and one piece is probably the only mainstream series that lives of to this big of a hype, anyway; critiques and fans of varying degrees agree. i find bleach, naruto, and dbz UNBEARABLE, but one piece is consistently unique, clever, and entertaining.

obviously not everyone will love everything, especially not to the same degree, but from what i've seen, 9/10 people who give one piece a fair try, end up becoming massive fans of the series, both those who love and those who normally HATE shonen action series.

-they're doing this to try and use one piece's massive success to bring attention to lesser-known publications. one piece is already the biggest manga in japan of all time--they're not trying to get the word out about one piece!

your analogy is weird considering at the end of green eggs and ham, the narrator trys greens eggs and ham and LOVES IT.

Last edited by Keiichi-chan on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Nice job with the trolling.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
You can't convince a resident hater.

Get over it. Watch 10% of it and tell us the results later, instead of watching a couple of episodes, out of a 500+ episode anime, and building your hostility out of jealousy because the thing is on the news once a week.
And agreed, besides the news itself, this anime is by far less discussed than Naruto, DB, Bleach, etc.

You're the one missing out. Even to this day I can proudly say that I dislike Clannad, but given its popularity back then, I gave it a fair shot and ended up with an excellent series in my hand (AS).

Last edited by egoist on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3