• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Loveplus Virtual Girlfriend in Halls Cough Drops Ad

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The manufacturer, Cadbury Japan, thought it was necessary to write in fine print in the video, "This is fictional."

One was not previously aware that Cadbury had a Japanese subsidiary. On a jocular whim, it could be questioned whether the notion of virtual girlfriends befits the values under which the company was founded. (Not that this matter is at all relevant to their post-Kraft state of being, of course.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow much different then US Hall ads but its much more awesome
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I've been sucking Halls cough drops this whole week. Awesome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.

That's what people on Kotaku has been talking about whenever Love Plus pops up. Yeah I don't understand it too, it's not like these girls are going to cook food, get all "Snuggy wuggy", or take care of children for you. Some people speculate that "virtual girlfriend" are probably the reason why Japan's birthrate are declining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:

Real girls have a heck of a lot of problems that 2D girls lack.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
chefneer wrote:

Like existing, for instance? Razz

(Halls: For the creepy otaku with a head cold!)
Basroil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know who does Nene's voice?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:
Anyone know who does Nene's voice?

Yūko Minaguchi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Like existing, for instance? Razz
Also they rarely present you with a menu of four actions to take, and when they do, the correct action is always something that is not on the menu. Plus no Groundhogs Day save and restore function to keep trying until you get it right.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The CM is just pure win.

mdo7 wrote:

That's what people on Kotaku has been talking about whenever Love Plus pops up. Yeah I don't understand it too, it's not like these girls are going to cook food, get all "Snuggy wuggy", or take care of children for you. Some people speculate that "virtual girlfriend" are probably the reason why Japan's birthrate are declining.

not really sure why Kotaku matters... you'd get a totally different opinion from say... Sankaku. Anyways, it's just an idealization. A projection, a sort of vicarious interaction. As far as Japan's bithrate goes, that keeps on being brought up as somehow "the" example which is ironic considering several European countries actually have lower birth rates and/or greater decline rates than Japan, and several other EU countries are comparable to or trending like Japan. So it's not like they're all playing Loveplus... Rolling Eyes
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Also they rarely present you with a menu of four actions to take, and when they do, the correct action is always something that is not on the menu. Plus no Groundhogs Day save and restore function to keep trying until you get it right.

True, but that's part of the challenge. If real girls were completely predictable, they'd be pretty boring, don't you think? Besides, on those rare occasions when you DO get it right the reward can be much more pleasant than anything on a video screen can provide.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
agila61 wrote:

True, but that's part of the challenge. If real girls were completely predictable, they'd be pretty boring, don't you think? Besides, on those rare occasions when you DO get it right the reward can be much more pleasant than anything on a video screen can provide.

I was tempted to make a remark based on an intricate distortion of a bird in the hand and two in the bush, but its too late at night to get it right, so I elected not to do so.

I never had any luck with real girls. As for women, that went better, but now I am married to one of them, so its safest for my health if I don't have any further luck with any other women.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

not really sure why Kotaku matters... you'd get a totally different opinion from say... Sankaku. Anyways, it's just an idealization. A projection, a sort of vicarious interaction. As far as Japan's bithrate goes, that keeps on being brought up as somehow "the" example which is ironic considering several European countries actually have lower birth rates and/or greater decline rates than Japan, and several other EU countries are comparable to or trending like Japan. So it's not like they're all playing Loveplus... Rolling Eyes

You're right, I forgot Europe's birthrate is declining too. But it was never brought up on Kotaku. Anyway, a lot of people are creeped out with Love Plus and how people are being obessed with the girls in the game over the real one. I know the girls are pretty in the game, but they can't compared to real one. I don't know if any of the Love Plus girl and I could share something in common like for me, I love Science and video game beside anime/manga. Could the girls in Love Plus share that same interest, I bet you not. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="Top Gun"][quote="einhorn303"]
chefneer wrote:

Now that is a slogan that would easily convince me to watch a halls commercial, simply because it just sounds hilarious.

I have to wonder though if the USA branch has ever considered a idea like what Japan Halls is doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2