• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual Reality Miku via Kinect, Head-Mounted Display

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
This is insanity. I really liked the part where they interacted with the Miku model by moving her hair. A completely interactive environment down to each individual person. That's pretty cool.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
maybe the future of video games will be something like that
Momoko_Kuzuryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
DO WANT!! 8D I've finally found something worthwhile for the Kinekt. Hopefully it's region-free, since any VOCALOID-related game will most likely never make it to the US offically.
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
My god....this looks awesome!!!!!!!!!

Makes you wonder what's next down the road from here on out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
So Kinect may not be a failure at all in Japan. I hope Miku can save Kinect in Japan. I was reading about how Kinect can be a problem for Japanese apartment and that might be one reason, another is well, xenophobia I guess.

Let see how the Miku game for Kinect could do for Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh good yet, another reason to avoid real social interaction in Japan. Soon there be no indigenous Japanese xenophobes left. Wink I thought The VR fad died out a while ago. That deformed Mikuhead with twin tail legs and feet was scary. Looking out the eyes of Miku was disturbing to me as well. Not sure I approve of this wotas.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh good yet, another reason to avoid real social interaction in Japan. Soon there be no indigenous Japanese xenophobes left. Wink I thought The VR fad died out a while ago.

I don't like it too, Mohawk, but what can we do? Kinect is failing in Japan and this could be the way for Kinect to sell well in Japan. I too don't like seeing people getting away from social interaction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
That was...creepy.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh good yet, another reason to avoid real social interaction in Japan. Soon there be no indigenous Japanese xenophobes left. Wink I thought The VR fad died out a while ago.

I don't like it too, Mohawk, but what can we do? Kinect is failing in Japan and this could be the way for Kinect to sell well in Japan. I too don't like seeing people getting away from social interaction.

I am surprised Kinect is a success anywhere, since the way it is currently being implemented it is nothing more than a controller-replacing gimmick. As this video shows, it can in fact be used as a full-fledged gaming device as opposed to the gimmick status it has been handed. Look beyond the fact that the guy chose to use Miku for this video, replace her with whatever character you want, the setting as well.

Overall I just think it is truly sad that so far, the Kinect has only been used to its full potential by independent programmers on the PC, while on its official platform it is reduced to simply replacing button mashing with arm waving.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Well this is all down to Mr. Gates thinking everyone lives in a house with giant warehouse size rooms, like his. As for this being "the way" I have my doubts as it's still a system that needs lots of space to work and it needs further development to be appealing to me anyway. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I am surprised Kinect is a success anywhere, since the way it is currently being implemented it is nothing more than a controller-replacing gimmick. As this video shows, it can in fact be used as a full-fledged gaming device as opposed to the gimmick status it has been handed. Look beyond the fact that the guy chose to use Miku for this video, replace her with whatever character you want, the setting as well.

Overall I just think it is truly sad that so far, the Kinect has only been used to its full potential by independent programmers on the PC, while on its official platform it is reduced to simply replacing button mashing with arm waving.

You know I just went around the web and finding evidence of Kinect sales in Japan. This article has gotten my attention, Kinect sales sort of tripled during Thanksgiving in Japan. It did have a rough start when it first came out in Japan. So Kinect is doing OK in Japan, But the Miku game could maybe give Kinect an edge in Japan. But the problem is that Japanese house and apartment are not as big as houses in US or Europe (where theirs are bigger and can accomodate a large space for Kinect gameplay).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1