• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Out With The Old

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god! That Robotech commercial just cracked me up! My god is that kid bored, and what's with that footage of Max, Rick, and (I didn't look at their face) shooting like that? They almost never used handheld guns in that series (and never like that). Man, sometimes I just love seeing things that wrong, especially when it's marketed, it's somehow more hilarious!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've said this in other threads, but: My favorite anime is Strike Witches, and I even felt that Chu-Bra!! was stupid and insulted my intelligence.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
hm, interesting Answerman column. Yeah, the Robotech commercial got me laughing too, Classicalzawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It felt really weird to call the protagonist of Chubra ugly, because it's so damn easy to make anime characters the epitome of sexiness. Even more when the series are meant to offer sexual appeal to the audience. Chu-bra really failed in a lot of senses, and it's just unbelievable they brought out some rubbish like that which most likely appealed to 100 people worldwide at best.

And then there's my dislike of clumsy characters that barely have any other quality (or defect) other than clumsiness.
Ugliness and clumsiness is all the character you'll be watching for 80% of the time has to offer. Have fun! Laughing
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't hate Chu-Bra!! but at the same time I didn't like it. It wasn't that bad of a series, but I'm still trying to figure out who the target audience was for the series. I also didn't like the visuals of the show, it looked too old for a 2010 series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Those Robotech toy commercials were pretty bad. I remember seeing those on television when I was kid. And since I own the Robotech Legacy DVD box sets that ADV released in the early 2000s, I have all those commercials on one of the bonus DVDs... so I can see them whenever I want (if I feel like torturing myself, that is). Razz

But, Brian, thank you for using one of these instead of one of the commercials for the Lady Robotech line (the commercials for the Robotech dolls and toys being aimed at girls). Those commercials are even worse!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't immediately point to one BIG thing that happened over the year that really shook this industry to its core.

Um, that Tokyo law? Laughing

Quote:
Will we ever see the entirety of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure released in English?

Jojo was never intended to be released in full. Viz was cashing in on the anime from STA, and probably hoping there'd be enough sales/interest for the other arcs, but that's about it.

Quote:
The biggest reason that nobody bought that game was because, well, who the hell actually had a Sega CD, anyway?

More than the people who owned a TG-16, anyway. Wink

Quote:
But in Konami's eyes, the game was a failure. A few years later, before finally landing a big hit in the US in the form of Metal Gear Solid, Kojima tried his hand at another brilliant sci-fi adventure game, Policenauts. For years, ersatz video game nerds were clamoring Konami's western offices to translate and release that game to the public. Policenauts is a Playstation game! People actually have Playstations! But it didn't matter, because the reasoning was simple: Snatcher flopped, and so a game very much like Snatcher would flop. Policenauts was never released, and it wasn't until some intrepid fans translated and patched the game themselves that it was playable to non-Japanese audiences like myself.

Well, if that's the case, what's their excuse for continuing to release ZOE and continuing MG after Snake's Revenge? Rolling Eyes Gawd, Snatcher flopped when Kojima was a no-name, and all they'd have to do now is release a re-mastered or un-mastered collection of his stuff emphasizing, "From the creator of Metal Gear Solid" on it.

Quote:
When The Golden Compass movie failed and failed hard, New Line Cinema didn't send out a press release in the papers saying "WOW! Holy CRAP! We are TOTALLY not making any more of those."

Actually, that situation was more a case of WB punishing its subsidiary for Superman Returns bombing. That film destroyed that conglomerate's AOL division, don't ya know? So obviously NL got punished in the shake-up.

As for the Sony Gatchaman thing, I wonder if they won't still pay Imagi for the work, since it's a lot cheaper than doing it themselves.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone in Japan was interested in those American released Robotech dolls.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I wonder if anyone in Japan was interested in those American released Robotech dolls.

There were only four dolls in the Lady Robotech line (Lynn Minmei, Lisa Hayes, Rick Hunter, and Dana Sterling), and my sister and I had all four of them. And I've always wondered why Matchbox didn't make a Rook Bartley doll.

Oh, and the Lady Robotech had two playsets: Rick Hunter's fanjet and the Chinese restaurant owned by Minmei's aunt and uncle. Never owned any of the playsets, though.

There was definitely more available on the boys' side with the action figures and mecha. I personally never owned any of them, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Commenting on this:

Quote:
However, to your question though, I would say that pre-ordering something with a "Release Date TBA" listing is a little... unsettling. At least to someone like myself. And I'm not just saying that because the previous question made me a little circumspect about the sad lack of support that certain titles are given by their publishers, but because for someone like myself, I just don't think something even exists until I'm given a firm release date.

So yeah. If there's a firm date and you know you're going to buy it anyway, pre-order that sucker. Not only does the industry get your money in the end, but they know that they are getting your money, before they even get it!

I don't see anything troubling about pre-ordering a title that doesn't have a definitive release date (at least, if you do so through a stable online retailer such as Rightstuf or RACS). If the release is canceled, you'd get a refund.

Foreign fans would have to worry about variable exchange rates, though.
bgpine63

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I dont know if you have ever watched or read the anime/manga "School Daze" but I would have to put it in "My Top 10 Anime I LOVE TO HATE" category.

I must admit to really liking the animation and storyline until.. OMFG! The last episode where murder and mayhem ensued. I was just really getting to like all the main characters too!

As far as Gundam Wing is concerened... I've never really got into watching any of the series. I started to watch the original episodes back in the late 90s from a Japanese friend of mine who had alot of anime DVDs at the time. But soon got bored after about the 5th episode when I had to leave for Iraq. Now Im not sure which series I should start to watch again. I've been watching alot of harem and echi anime lately so Im not sure if I want to watch robots again.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
One thing I thought was funny in the Robotech toy ad was that the Zentradi were said to be "evil through and through." It's been a while since I saw Robotech, but IIRC, the Zentradi were three-dimensional characters and not all of them were antagonistic toward humans. So basically, the ad is dumb on multiple levels. Rolling Eyes
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with Platonic Heart aka Master of Martial Heart being garbage. I couldn't even finish 1 episode before I vomited in my mouth. It's so garbage that I paid my friends $10 to watch everything (subbed back in the day) and said it was the hardest $10 earned. Although they did like some of the humor like tiger knee through a windshield or chemistry fighting.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
One thing I thought was funny in the Robotech toy ad was that the Zentradi were said to be "evil through and through." It's been a while since I saw Robotech, but IIRC, the Zentradi were three-dimensional characters and not all of them were antagonistic toward humans. So basically, the ad is dumb on multiple levels. Rolling Eyes

Yes, carefully explaining the character nuances of the Zentradi in a 30 second TV spot would be an excellent way to sell toys to kids.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yes, carefully explaining the character nuances of the Zentradi in a 30 second TV spot would be an excellent way to sell toys to kids.

I never said the commercial had to explain the Zentradi in detail. I just pointed out yet another flaw in it besides the one that Answerman mocked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4