• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Lost Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Michiko to Hatchin needs, nay, deserves a U.S. release! Crying or Very sad

I saw the Nodame Cantabile movie on a plane trip to Japan recently - it was pretty good.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
My pick for top unlicensed anime would be Minami-ke, since I find it to be one of the funniest schoolgirl slice-of-life shows without all that much in the way of fanservice (that one scene where Haruka first meets "Mako-chan" notwithstanding), a great dynamic between the three sisters (sweet-but-secret-badass Haruka, energetic idiot Kana, and precocious deadpan loli Chiaki) and three tiers of fun supporting characters.

Also, my favourite anime film of the past decade is Mai Mai Miracle from Sunao Katabuchi, lighthearted vignettes with a slight fantasy twist about the lives of two girls in a postwar factory village built on the site of a regional capital from a 1000-years prior. I saw it at Ottawa International Animation Festival '09 and am surprised that it still hasn't gotten a western distributor (unless it does and it hasn't yet been announced).

I saw Mindgame but didn't care for it. It had some thematic similarities to my all-time favourite anime film, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, but I think the major difference is that the place the Urusei Yatsura gang found themselves in would actually be an appealing place to exist.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tmsidr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Michiko & Hatchin was released in Germany and was a big flop as far as I know, so something seem to be gone wrong with the international appeal.

I think it's strange that Bakemonogatari wasn't licensed so far, and ef - tale of memories is another example. It's a really great Eroge based anime that is a lot of more mature than most other series of its genre.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I remember being disappointed when Funimation licensed The Sacred Blacksmith before Michiko & Hatchin.
I mean like, really?

I still hope that it will be licensed someday Anime cry
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

And with maybe a few cuts for American standards (I think there are bare butts in a scene in one episode), Denno Coil would be great for the post-Avatar: The Last Airbender crowd of young American cartoon viewers...

Heh, I can see the episode with the beards being a hit with the boys, and I agree, I would've loved Dennoh Coil as a middle schooler probably as much as I loved Avatar.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
What about Ryoko's Case File? A bit in the vein of The X-Files by way of Darker than Black, or maybe more like Occult Academy with guns. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but a decent show from the six episodes I saw of it. It seems like something Funimation would license and cast Laura Bailey and Todd Haberkorn in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier - YES!
Nodame Cantabile - YES!
Denno Coil - YES YES!
Hataraki Man - YES!!
The Bartender - YES!!

I'd also add Mouryou no Hako, which was a FANTASTIC psychological detective thriller.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I wish that Re: Cutey Honey would also get released. It's a fun title.

Also, Kaiba, Getsumen to Heike Mina, Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror, Mononoke are on my list.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Michiko & Hatchin-why hasn't it made it over here? Because us anime companies are run by a bunch of idiots-ditto for Denno Coil and to a smaller degree-Hataraki Man. Oh well-I can dream, can't I?
chronoclast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It's frustrating that none of Maasaki Yuasa's works have been released in the US yet, Kaiba especially for me. Even Tatami Galaxy is stuck as streaming only at the moment and who knows if Funi will decide to release it or not.

The situation with Mind Game almost getting licensed until that Youtube leak is even more irritating. The R2 DVD having English subtitles, which were used in the leak of course, were put on it mistakenly according to Michael Arias, the guy who directed Tekkon Kinkreet, which didn't help matters.

Dennou Coil is another quality show that I would love to see get released here. I'd like a dub for it but if Sentai or Nozomi were to release it sub-only that would be fine too.

For shows not mentioned, Mononoke is a very respected show that still hasn't been released here. I'll second Mouryou no Hako too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What about Ryoko's Case File? A bit in the vein of The X-Files by way of Darker than Black, or maybe more like Occult Academy with guns.

I'd consider it more like an inverted-Haruhi: rather than the hyper-competent protagonist trying to find the paranormal within the mundane, she's more interested in career advancement and getting in her partner's pants than all the weird stuff happening around her.

A better analog may be a light-hearted anime version of Fringe but Ryoko came first.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Re: Cutie Honey is the one anime I have no idea why it was never brought over. It's sexy, well animated, funny and got an original style to it. I mean you could easily sell it here, Hideaki Anno and his love of fanservice, Hiroyuki Imaishi trying, a co-production by Gainax that doesn't suck, lesbians!

Just another reason to hate Toei especially since they didn't give the license to anyone after FUNimation sent C&D's on their behalf. Mad

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-04/website-removed-re-cutie-honey-citing-license
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The two series i'm personally most surprised haven't been licensed yet are Bokurano and Valkyria Chronicles . Both are good series that have enough basic surface appeal to get people interested in checking them out, so i don't see why they haven't been licensed yet unless they're plagued by rights issues.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought Denno Coil was vastly overrated, myself. Not bad, mind you, just not this masterpiece everyone else who's seen it makes it out to be. Perhaps if instead of using it's big plot twist as a twist it had incorporated that information into the story it would actually have some more depth to it. For a mystery, the payoff was disappointing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Just a bit curious Mike as why you chose the film strip layout with a few screen shots stuck together from the various series instead of with the actual series themselves?
Personally, I think that for an anime a screenshot can really draw someone in if the art/style/character design is appealing, but it's a bit hard to do that if you can't associate a title with its representative picture when it's mashed up on the side.

Enjoyed the article though, gave me a few more series to check out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7