• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Lost Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
About the Macross situation, from what I remember Tatsunoko owns the international merchandise and distribution rights for the first (1, I) Macross series but Big West owns the franchise and the sequel rights. After Do you remember love? Tatsunoko hasn't been involved in any Macross series, movie or videogame. Even the 80's Famicom game mentions only Big West.

Harmony Gold somehow beat Big West in gaining the trademark for Macross and the UN Spacy logo. I don't see why Big West would want to give free money to Harmony Gold. It's like Disney and Viz should negotiate with New World Pictures every time they license something new Nausicaä related from Ghibli.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
Ryo: Well, it's not like Big West wouldn't just pass on the costs to us in the form of over-priced imports.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
"Fist Planet" sounds like the punchline to a Chuck Norris joke.

Denno Coil was one of those shows that I stopped watching on fansubs halfway through because I was sure it was going be licensed. Whoops!

While we're on the subject I don't think my feelings on the show are quite as rosy as Mike's. Way too many episodes were focused on the wacky exploits of that annoying boy in the white T-shirt (I think his name was Daisuke or something) instead of the actual plot. The series definitely should have been 13 episodes long instead of 26.

And Nodame Cantabile never came out in America? For some reason I just assumed that had been licensed. [/b]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I agree with Lord Geo, Ring ni Kakero 1 should get brought over here along with the manga! If not possible, I will go get it in Mexico!

Glad to see another person who wants to see Ring ni Kakero 1 licensed. As for the manga I'm not expecting any chance for that, unless a company picked it up solely for online viewing ro something like that.

NJ_ wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Ugh, someone should save Saint Seiya it is a series that should be finished!

Agreed and it's been known for a while that DiC/Cookie Jar's license has expired so why nobody jumped at saving this series by now is beyond me.

Ah, that topic I made a while back. There's really only two companies I can see grabbing Saint Seiya TV at this point: Sentai and Discotek. And even then it's only a slight chance at happening.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So many shows haven't seen the light of day here. Bartender, Kemonozume, Mononoke, Dennō Coil, Kaiji, Kaiba, Kurozuka, Macross Frontier, Michiko to Hatchin, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Kūchū Buranko, Kara no Kyoukai, Mind Game, Time of Eve and that's just the really notable ones.

One of these things is not like the others / one of these things just doesn't belong....

Quote:
Of course, on top of that there's all the stuff that can't seem to get a DVD release. Mind you, that's pretty much exclusively due to Funimation's bullshit. House of Five Leaves, Rainbow, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki...(and of course we'll probably be adding 3/4 of future noitaminA shows to that list).

I hate having to repeat myself, but let's do it again:
1) Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves just finished coming out on DVD in Japan at the end of last month. The others you mentioned have not finished (hell, Shiki just finished airing last Thursday!!*), and you know there is no way these companies are going to let Funimation release those on DVD before they're done in Japan for fear of reverse-importation.
2) Funimation is out to make money. They are a business. I don't know what the number of hits they've gotten on these series, but that has to be a huge consideration in whether they invest in a DVD release. There is undoubtedly a clique who love almost everything noitaminA (I'm in it), but will we buy enough to make it worth their time? (which reminds me: I need to go order Eden of the East...)
3) What makes you so sure anyone else would be releasing these? Geneon had done a few noitaminA spots, but they generally had terrible judgment in terms of what was profitable (hence their demise). It took Viz forever to release Honey & Clover. The only currently company to have released noitaminA series in a timely fashion, either as a rescue or a license is... (drumroll) Funimation! Now, if Rightstuf, Section23, etc. start licensing the vast backlog of unlicensed noitaminA series (Nodame Cantabile, Haraki Man, Mononoke, Moyashimon, Hakaba Kitarou, Library Wars, Antique Bakery, Tale of Genji, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Trapeze), which would be awesome, then you can start complaining about Funimation screwing over noitaminA.
4) At least we get streams. And higher-than-crunchyroll-quality ones at that (in terms of subtitling and translation). I desperately want a release of Tatami Galaxy, and I think the best way to do it is... send people to watch it streamed.

*also, Shiki was unbelievably boooooooring.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Ugh, someone should save Saint Seiya it is a series that should be finished!

Agreed and it's been known for a while that DiC/Cookie Jar's license has expired so why nobody jumped at saving this series by now is beyond me.

Ah, that topic I made a while back. There's really only two companies I can see grabbing Saint Seiya TV at this point: Sentai and Discotek. And even then it's only a slight chance at happening.

Yeah because we all know how Toei (and TMS) can be when it comes to licensing. Evil or Very Mad

vashfanatic wrote:
It took Viz forever to release Honey & Clover.

And boy was it treated horribly.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Now, if Rightstuf, Section23, etc. start licensing the vast backlog of unlicensed noitaminA series (Nodame Cantabile, Haraki Man, Mononoke, Moyashimon, Hakaba Kitarou, Library Wars, Antique Bakery, Tale of Genji, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Trapeze), which would be awesome, then you can start complaining about Funimation screwing over noitaminA.

Antique Bakery was licensed by Rightstuf and they do still plan on releasing it (I asked them on twitter awhile back and have the tweet saved, just don't know how to link to it) so that's one less title. And I thin that one of the Library Wars manga was licensed by Viz (I think it was the shojo one) so I always thought that meant they were going to grab the anime as well. Actually, I'd love it if CR could get streaming rights for these series so more people are introduced to them and maybe that would generate enough interest for DVD sales?

And I'm also seconding Time of Eve, I had really hoped that it was more likely to get licensed once it was re-released as a movie (and apparently a good one!) but it looks like we're out of luck there too.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Yeah because we all know how Toei (and TMS) can be when it comes to licensing. Evil or Very Mad

Well, I was mainly talking about how it's a longer show from the 80s and hence would only be possible by Sentai due to ADV's time with the series or by Discotek due to their love of 80s anime, especially if Fist of the North Star TV has been doing well for them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
So many shows haven't seen the light of day here. Bartender, Kemonozume, Mononoke, Dennō Coil, Kaiji, Kaiba, Kurozuka, Macross Frontier, Michiko to Hatchin, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Kūchū Buranko, Kara no Kyoukai, Mind Game, Time of Eve and that's just the really notable ones.

One of these things is not like the others / one of these things just doesn't belong....

I see, so when I suggest that the price is absurd in the other thread I get "Duh! It's not a R1 release! It's just an import!!!". Then when I suggest that we haven't gotten an R1 release I get "Rolling Eyes We are getting an R1 release silly!"

Lovely little piece of doublethink there.

Quote:
I hate having to repeat myself, but let's do it again:

If it bothers you so much then perhaps you should pay more attention to what people say in response. Then you might actually come to understand why they aren't convinced by your comments and hold to their original opinion. It's more than a little naive to just parrot the same thing ad nauseum and then scratch your head because not everyone has come to agree with you.

Now look, as I recall there was already a whole big sprawling clusterfuck of a discussion about this before where I explained my point of view and addressed the issues you're again raising. Hence, I'm not going to derail this thread by getting into a whole new clusterfuck of a debate over the Funimation/noitaminA issue. That isn't the issue this topic is about and it's only partially related to the topic I was addressing. The topic was about shows that haven't for the R1 release they deserve. The shows I mentioned have not been licensed for an R1 release. I think they deserve one. Simple enough no?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Well, I was mainly talking about how it's a longer show from the 80s and hence would only be possible by Sentai due to ADV's time with the series or by Discotek due to their love of 80s anime, especially if Fist of the North Star TV has been doing well for them.

I would rather see Discotek get it than Sentai so that i wouldn't have to worry about spending extra money on safer DVD cases to replace those awful STACKpaks.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

I would rather see Discotek get it than Sentai so that i wouldn't have to worry about spending extra money on safer DVD cases to replace those awful STACKpaks.

I'm sure Sentai is done with STACKpaks, as their complete collection for You're Under Arrest Season 2 isn't using that style... Not to mention that even people within the company hated using them.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

I'm sure Sentai is done with STACKpaks, as their complete collection for You're Under Arrest Season 2 isn't using that style... Not to mention that even people within the company hated using them.

I don't even think Sentai would pick it up. I think discotek is your only chance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I don't even think Sentai would pick it up. I think discotek is your only chance.

Well, I'm only going off of the fact that Matt Greenfield said in early 2009 that then-ADV had still wanted to "dub the rest of Saint Seiya" (actual words he used) but wanted to see how those most recent collection sold before potentially going for them. Also, Sentai has started off their relationship with Toei by licensing Ghsot Sweeper Mikami, a show that's only a few years younger than Saint Seiya.

So it can happen, but I'll still put Discotek higher up on the potential licensors list.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Of course, on top of that there's all the stuff that can't seem to get a DVD release. Mind you, that's pretty much exclusively due to Funimation's bullshit. House of Five Leaves, Rainbow, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki...(and of course we'll probably be adding 3/4 of future noitaminA shows to that list).

It's pretty ridiculous.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that these will get released for R1 eventually.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall that someone had picked up Denno Coil a few years ago (sites like Crunchyroll had temporarily taken it off their site for a while) but the company either quickly lost the license or went under. This was when ADV and possibly Geneon were still active players.

I've seen Hataraki Man and it's a nice, laid back, unpretentious show...which means it wouldn't sell with North American anime fans. It would have a nice place in the $10 discount bin along with her pal Master Keaton if it were ever released on DVD here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7