• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Moe Money, Moe Problems

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I think moe is way too subjective, so I'd rather stick with cute, sexy, or both.
I can't say that I entirely like or dislike it, and I believe that anyone who says so is most likely lying, or just not aware of the truth.

Perhaps it's also worth pointing out that yandere, tsundere, kuudere, etc., are all moe characters.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dblitzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
okay finished, decent podcast

on the issue of creativity, i think bad story writing can be symptomatic of any gimmick type show where people are there just for the gimmick, whether that be Moe, Mecha, Godzilla, etc so in that sense i think the issue isn't so much that "ZOMG MOE DESTROYING THE INDUSTRY" as it is "ZOMG FANS WHO LOVE GIMMICK BUYING UP BAD WRITING", so i don't think it's so much that moe is overly inviting to bad writing above other things, it's just a lot of the viewers are just there for the moe and not much else
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Have to disagree with Blood- somewhat; I didn't really get any kind of moe vibe from the girls whatsoever. Henrietta is emotionally vulnerable, for sure, but the show didn't take that aspect of her character and hold it up to say "Awww! Isn't it cute?". All the girls in this show are pitiful, and damaged. Although I guess it comes back to individual interpretations of moe.

...And my favourite director, Shinbo, is a lolicon? Oy.

Last edited by Shichimi on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Have to disagree with Blood- somewhat; I didn't really get any kind of moe vibe from the girls whatsoever. Henrietta is emotionally vulnerable, for sure, but the show didn't take that aspect of her character and hold it up to say "Awww! Isn't it cute?". All the girls in this show are pitiful, and damaged. Although I guess it comes back to individual interpretations of moe.

I would say that the 2nd second adds the moe look to the cast, not so much the first season. I think you looked at the cast and didn't know what they did, you can get a moe vibe from the cast. That being said I don't get the moe vibe from the cast since I know what they do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Personally I like some moe series and charcters. I don't really see a problem with them. I do think theres to many, but meh. As long as theres some good ones its no big deal.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I think I know what show Hope was trying to name as the example of the girl's version of a Key show, the one with the Shinsengumi in it. Was it Hakuoki? I only watched jokesubs of the first episode (which were hell funny btw Smile) but from what I've read about it I think it fits the criteria.

And the K-On matchmaking thing Mike was referring to? I think it was actually a Lucky Star themed/based/related event. I remember reading about it on ANN, and also about thefts from the K-On model school at around the same time, so maybe that's where the confusion came from. Oh, plus they are both MOE Smile And they are both Kyo-Ani Anime smile

For me, moe is the art style and art style only. Moe as a feeling is not something I'm familiar with, even though this is the original definition (I think...). There are some moe shows I love (Air and Lucky Star off the top of my head) but I don't love them because of their moe characteristics.

Edit:
Oh and wah, I checked out Mistakes of Youth and I liked the strip about the cashier and his 3 types of customers. Heaps funny Very Happy

Last edited by ss-hikaru on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Was I the only person who confused Touhou with Toho.

*imagines Godzilla firing bullet-hell-atomic-breath patterns from his mouth*

*Approves!*

Quote:
A really great podcast that was really just a blast to listen too. Hope to see more like it, though something like Giant Robots might be too big for just one podcast, though something like Daryl Surat talking about Super Robots with two other guys would be great.

Yeah, theme episodes wouldn't be a bad idea, but let's not try to get them to close to each other. But I could definitely get behind a giant robots episode...

Overall this was a good episode, and being someone who couldn't care less about "moe" (I bought Air TV mainly so that I could one day see what a "moe show" is like) it was interesting to hear some nice, in-depth talk about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:

No moe vibe at all? Laughing Dude, this is a show about physically, mentally and emotionally damaged prepubescent girls and their older male handlers. Wake up and smell the moe!

And, assuming you've ever seen Moonphase, how could you NOT know that Shinbo is a lolicon?
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
To clarify: when I think of something as moe, it means I think it's adorable. Strawberry Marshmallow, as well as being gently funny and well-observed, is moe to me. The girls in GG are just pathetic, broken down husks. I don't find emotionally damaged, brainwashed girl assassins cute, ergo they're not moe by my personal understanding of the term.

Blood- wrote:
And, assuming you've ever seen Moonphase, how could you NOT know that Shinbo is a lolicon?

Well this is what has me worried! I really enjoyed Moonphase, and I'm sat here now trying to think of where maybe the loli elements were. Shocked There was one completely pointless section where Hazuki tries on a bunch of outfits. Yeah, that raised an eyebrow, but apart from that I'm drawing a blank.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm loving all this praise Angel Beats is getting... Gawd, I hope that gets licensed soon.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I'm loving all this praise Angel Beats is getting... Gawd, I hope that gets licensed soon.

Yeah, Angel Beats! is great. Most probably didn't approach it because they think it's like other Key shows. I won't say it truly applies, but in my opinion most of the hate it's gotten on the Internet was due to Clannad's hardcore fans.

So, basically, if Key had 3 audiences they could go for... one who dislikes Key, another who adores Key, and others in the neutral camp, and it'd say the target they reached here was just the last one.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
This is really weird. None of the links seems to be working for me. Is it because too many people are listening to it?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'm also having difficulty listening to either the streaming audio or even the direct download results in a page not found.

Kenotic wrote:
I also thought that Angel Beats was a major upgrade in the Key world, in part because there were only a few girls that outright fit the moe stereotypes -- no tsunderes (Yuri's much too agreeable) and the lead male wasn't a wallflower.

I'm really having a hard time trying to come up with tsundere characters in either Air or Kanon. Angel Beats was pretty much a continuing-of-the-norm in terms of Key characters. And I'm not sure I'd call Yukito, Yuichi, or Tomoya wallflowers... they're all pretty average guys, mostly with a bit of a sarcastic behavior.

Anyway, I'd really like to listen to this, so hopefully whatever server problems are happening or whatever can get resolved quick.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
This is really weird. None of the links seems to be working for me. Is it because too many people are listening to it?

Not showing up for me either.

EDIT: MP3 showing up now but still not showing up in iTunes or the RSS feed.

Last edited by BeanBandit on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Likewise, I can't listen to it. I'n guessing there's some kind of server hiccup.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14