• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei GN 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A reference to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure somehow comes out as "Jojo's Strange Adventure"

I remember when Del Ray's translation of Genshiken made the same mistake. It wasn't JoJo per se, but a simple parody that should have been rendered as something like "BoBo's Bizarre Adventure", but they did it as "The Bizarre Adventure of BoBo".

That and they just transliterated the names for Gundam robots when it would have taken a minute or two to check for the official English-language versions that Bandai has standardized.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Simpler is better in the art of Zetsubou-sensei, a philosophy that is reflected by the minimalist character designs and backgrounds...This kind of simplicity is essential considering how densely each page is packed.

I was surprised that you gave the art a C+. You can identify the main characters, the setting, and the action. Yes, it is simple during the storytelling, but that is so it doesn't get in the way of the text. I doesn't seem right to give the art a C+ for doing what's best to help tell the story.

I think it's good art. Not clumsy looking like, let's say Nodame (which I love) or I'll Give It My All Tomorrow (which might look clumsy to fit in with the overall theme of the book). There are beautiful, intricate, title pages between each chapter, so we know the artist CAN draw, but like you stated, he is aware that his art shouldn't get in the way of his storytelling.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

I think it's good art. Not clumsy looking like, let's say Nodame (which I love) or I'll Give It My All Tomorrow (which might look clumsy to fit in with the overall theme of the book). There are beautiful, intricate, title pages between each chapter, so we know the artist CAN draw, but like you stated, he is aware that his art shouldn't get in the way of his storytelling.

The term you're looking for is graphic design. In general, Kumeta's art isn't focused on illustration, but on design work. It has careful and precise use of blacks, and very structured compositions and layouts. It may not be illustrated with the panache of, say, Kaoru Mori, but it's perfectly professional comic art in its own right. Think Chris Ware vs James Jean. Jean is an illustrator, Ware is more a graphic designer. Kumeta's sensibilities lean more toward the graphic design element of comic art.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad I got tired of this series at the third volume?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
So this title with reputation of some cleverness receives the same "B+" for storyline as "Queen Blade"?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Is it bad I got tired of this series at the third volume?

Your loss.
We all walk away from stuff. I can't think of the last volume of Naruto I read, but I love this title.
I do disagree that the lines are interchangeable. Maybe you aren't noting the characterization, but each kid does represent something so they are specific chatacters. Granted, some lines are lines any one of the kids can say, but the almost unnoticable class press, etc. have their specific bits outside of that. We do see his nephew. And that was said nephew's daddy, wasn't it this issue? I've been waiting to see him. Hope it wasn't a typo.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Your loss. We all walk away from stuff. I can't think of the last volume of Naruto I read, but I love this title. I do disagree that the lines are interchangeable. Maybe you aren't noting the characterization, but each kid does represent something so they are specific chatacters.

I wouldn't really call it a loss. I've left a lot of things unfinished with no real intention to return to them. Just so you know, as to erase your presumption, I fully understand the characterizations. I honestly lost interest because I had other things going on and other manga series were opening up for me. That's why I haven't picked up volume 4 yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1