• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Co-productions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Just today, it happened that I was entering some information for the Mysterious Cities of Gold. And I found myself in front of an unexpected dilemma: since this was a France-Japan co-production, many of the creative staff are French.

So what do you think... should they go under Japanese staff or French staff? It would be nice to decide on a policy for this, because that's far from the only co-production in the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:41 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

So what do you think... should they go under Japanese staff or French staff? It would be nice to decide on a policy for this, because that's far from the only co-production in the Encyclopedia.

Would it be possible to have some kind of option in the pull-down menu (or link at the bottom of the page?) for "Other Nationality Cast/Staff"... And the first user who inputs the French (or whatever) staff information can start using the menu, and subsequent users could add to it just like they do with English and Japanese staff now?

That would work nicely, I think. No idea how feasible it would be to code, though. I really should start reading up on PHP.
Confused
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote
I don't think I understand what you mean. It's already possible for anyone to enter French staff/cast (or Korean, Spanish, Italian, German). You just have to select the language.

My question had more to do with... should the creative staff be kept in one bunch (as Japanese staff) or can they be split into different Languages? I mean, no matter how you look at it, the english staff have basically no creative influence in the making of the anime, they're just translating it. So I look at the Japanese staff to see who are responsible for creating this anime; who wrote it, who designed it, who directed it. But if the credit for creating the anime is shared between Japanese and English, what then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking that it should be under Japanese Staff, because the english staff is usually directly related to the production of a Japanese anime in Japan.

Like for instance, I think I entered in for Ghost in the Shell (movie) Andy Frain as one of the producers (with Manga Entertainment in parenthesis) under the Japanese Staff, because he had a role in production of the film in Japan and not in America or Britan. Now Frain is listed under the English staff, even though Manga entertainment partially funded the Japanese side of the production and Frain was the producer behind that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1