• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CGI anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Here's a little question for all of you: is it anime if it's all-CGI? I think we've always associated anime with cel-style. But what about shows that are entirely rendered in 3-D? It's animated, and it's made in Japan, but should it be considered anime? The real question behind this, of course, is: should they be in the Encyclopedia?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it should be considered anime. From what I understand, animation as a whole will be heading that way and soon the pen will be a fossil.

OK...that's an exaggeration, but you get my point Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Spatula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I would still consider it anime because it still requires "drawings" (albeit, computer generated ones) to be put into motion. Sure the tools have changed, but the essence is still the same.

Hmm... it seems like the scope of the word "anime" is starting to expand... I wonder what else will be included in the definition...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify things, I'm not talking about digital anime (which is already the majority of the Japanese production). I'm only talking about entirely-3D shows (like ReBoot, even though that's not Japanese). I'd say 3-D animation has more in common with sculpture than with hand-drawn animation, so to me it feels a bit weird to put it in the same category.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The Mahou Yuugi 3D OVA, for one, would fall into this "3d anime" category yet I would want to include in the encyclopedia (and, in fact, is already there)

Just because it doesn't look like anime doesn't mean that it isn't anime.
Just because it looks like anime doesn't mean that it is anime.

However, we do (apparently) distinguish between Osamu Tezuka's short animated films and "anime".. in that we don't have "Jumping" or "Broken Down Film" in the Encyclopedia, yet we do have Tezuka.

I guess the question becomes: Is it that we don't want Tezuka's short films to be listed in the Encyclopedia? Or is it that no one simply has entered them, but should someone enter them into the DB they will be accepted?

Which hearkens back to the original question:
Is there no 3d anime because we don't want it? Or because it simply hasn't been entered?

I'm of the opinion that the latter in both cases -- both "Jumping" and any 3d anime (and in fact, arguably ANY independant animation from Japan, as we have Hoshi no Koe in the DB) should be accepted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, we do (apparently) distinguish between Osamu Tezuka's short animated films and "anime".. in that we don't have "Jumping" or "Broken Down Film" in the Encyclopedia, yet we do have Tezuka.

Actually we do have Legend of the Forest listed which was a 26 minute short he did in 1986. It is the only short that is available in the US. If the other ones recieved Am. Releases and people knew about them they would be in.

As for the CGI anime, I think it should be included. I think that an interesting issue that would come up would be the film Final Fantasy: The Spirts Within. I think that this should be considered anime simply becuase one of its copyright holders and funders Fantasy Film Partners, is pretty much the entire Japanese Anime Film Industry (Dentsu, Bandai, Shogakukan, etc. the list looked just like the Akira Comittee) and about half the production was Japanese. I know I just brought up another issue, since this film was in English made primarly for American audiences and in CGI, but I thought I'd note this fact.

Also looking at the credits for that film, it looked like a lot of the animation was farmed out to studios in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1