• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Ace of Database

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I've got a copy of the book here, from inter-library loan. So if anyone needs a quote, or has any other factual questions about the content, feel free to ask. Quotes and citation are always useful with this sort of thing. Smile
gwern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I too have a copy, obtained, from, um, ILL (ultimately, anyway); and ditto on questions.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
in argument, one needs both logic and evidence.

To what degree are you willing broaden this into a rhetorical maxim? If you were to suggest that all instances of (valid, sound) argument must adhere to this rule, there'd be an undeniable shade of empiricism to your claim — perhaps of a sort that would be incompatible with aprioricity.
(Of course, you could counter such an accusation by suggesting that I misunderstand your use of the term "evidence", or something akin.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll be on the lookout to see how Azuma deals with the characters in his own creation and how they will be directed by Yamakan (who has recently come out against moe as a symptom of anime's recent decline and says that he intends the show to be for a non-otaku crowd.)

I admire your optimism, Brian, but have you seen Yamakan's resume? Moe crap from start to finish. His last work before this was a storyboard for Chu-Bra. He's gone on record saying he will quit anime if Fractale is not a success.

The fact that Yamakan got a Noitamina slot is the most butt-backwards announcement of the last five years. I look forward to seeing you and everyone else get trolled.
Zade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey Melanchthon/vashfanatic/gwern, I personally hate interacting with people myself (and on the GFAQs forums, I got so fed up I suicided my 800+ karma account). Everyone on the Internet/IRL seems to piss me off and vise-versa, however I can still easily remain happy through entertainment. Thus, I have no long term acquaintances... What does that count as and is it any different than Japanese Otaku?

Quote:
Azuma wonders if the 21st century will be something like Brave New World, only with information technology standing in for the government as the controlling influence.

This and that interview is strikingly similar to Pitchfork's latest blog post: http://beyondeasy.blogspot.com/2011/01/matters-of-art.html (his Final Fantasy retrospective his really good btw: http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff)

Another somewhat relevant point:

Recently I watched the real-footage war documentary "Restrepo" and there was a scene where 1 of the soldiers was killed and he cries over it... My response? A mix of "wow, this is a really powerful scene," and "he needs too work on his acting."

...SOME OF ME COULDN'T HELP THINKING THAT WAS A MOVIE! Everyone seems to think that after playing games long enough people will eventually start to think they are real... Reality seems to be the exact opposite, if you see things fictionalized so very often, when it really happens it becomes harder to recognize that IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!!!
Stevetonemaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
When I say 'Pass~u!' you say 'Cohn', 'Perso! con!' etc. Pass, really; from the disclaimers at the beginning of every paragraph to the lack of narrative progression in the review, I'll be happier getting fancy search query results to barf the truth upon me; than antithetically recapitulate the agony of early postmodernist writers, seemingly your reading, etc.

I'm not falling in love, but from dawn to dusk, this is what I'm thinking...; I've written like that, too. Came out weird just then, is what I'd say.

Another reviewer pointed up Otaku: chats up Saber Marionette-J's world (only one 'true' human female there, in stasis, in orbit!) That's fun chat, no? Over LeGuin's deadpan 'oh no, that was probably the last pop for sentience just then,' (Japanesque!) or opening gimlets like 'The government provides appropriate melee groups, drops, and towns...at least once...' I think people are fighting hard battles (a year just to import a laser cutter table with native parts?) and that the database is an aesthetic revue as well as a use-case gadget and amuse-bouche. Animal reward is something we need exercised often(...) so in lieu of mediary artifacts (Dwarf wagoneer to Legendary blessed lava furnace operator being a rare career) or overdoing, (Rest? Who has time?) here is one set of practices.

Hey, my materialism requires research all the way up and down; don't make it a downer. javascript:emoticon('Anime smile\'')

Stupidity exceeds and undercuts materiality, runs loose, wins a few rounds, recedes, gets carried home in a clutch of denial-and returns.
-Avital Ronell, Stupidity Anime smile + sweatdrop
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
dm wrote:
in argument, one needs both logic and evidence.

To what degree are you willing broaden this into a rhetorical maxim? If you were to suggest that all instances of (valid, sound) argument must adhere to this rule, there'd be an undeniable shade of empiricism to your claim ....

Not to get derailed, but I excluded mathematics in my post, and I suppose there are closely related fields (e.g., logic) that are similar. Otherwise, of course there's a shade of empiricism --- if one is to talk about the world, one has little choice. One is still left with a matter of judgment as to whether or not one has the right axioms and definitions to use to talk about the world.

Back on topic: the first episode is out, and I'm puzzled as to what Azuma and Yamamoto think they're up to with this recycled Ghibli-bits. Competently done, and inoffensive, but it didn't seem very adventurous. Does anyone remember Patapata hikousen no bouken?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2