• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jonathan and Taliesin's Excellent Adventure

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Not that bad? Are you kidding me? The winter season is freaking awesome. Fractale, Level E, Wandering Son for the serious guys, Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka, Gosik, Dragon Crisis for the fun loving guys. And then Freezing and Oniichan No Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara Ne for the fanservice guys. Also, Kimi Ga Todoke 2 for the ladies. What the hell more do you want? Not to mention Puella Magi Madoka Magic, Yumekui Merry, that are also good shows. This is one of the best winters ever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Read or Die TV English dub was okay, but the Hellsing dub was way, way better. ROD TV's dub doesn't blow me away like Hellsing's does. It's decent at best.

Actually, I think the ADV dub of the original ROD OVA was better than the TV show's. And you won't hear me praise ADV dubs often. Of course, maybe that's just me liking the OVA more in general than the TV series.

Both Hellsing dubs are among my favorites. I almost want to say I prefer the English versions, but then they don't have Sakakibara or Wakamoto, now do they?

I've been waiting for Hellsing Ultimate to be collected before I purchase it. Having read about the ending, though, I agree with Zac that it seems like a mess.

I totally agree that anime dubs done in L.A. are (generally) better than the ones done in Texas (I don't think that's exactly what he was saying, but I agree to that sentiment, regardless).

Good dubs don't "start bad and get better". Good dubs are good to start with and get even better than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
nice ann cast also a question to zac since you saw the first episode of beelzebub can you make a review im quite curious to see what you say about it.my favorite this season would have to be beel with gosick in second but i agree this season turned out much better then i expected since i originally thought gosick wasnt going to be good and it took me for quite a surprise the same could be said about level e and is this a zombie.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Doing the commenting-on-things as I listen thing this time around:

Didn't like Madoka Magica's character designs at all (outside of the eye-shading), like you guys, but I definitely enjoyed the first episode. I haven't caught the second episode yet, but I'm hoping this'll be an enjoyable show.
I just saw the second episode of Gosick and it's still stuck on "has a lot of potential" but it's getting better. And yeah, this season? Has been great so far. I haven't been this excited about stuff coming out in Japan in a while, actually.

As for the blockbuster thing--yeah, there's probably nothing this season that'll be like that. Although who knows? Maybe one of those really solid shows, like Level E, will end up being a big hit.

I haven't seen much of R.O.D. (although I remember seeing an episode or two years ago and seeing the original OVA), but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for another dub Mr. Klein worked on--Paranoia Agent. (...I'm sure this isn't a big surprise, considering my avatar.) Overall I have a lot of respect for his work (as well as Taliesin's) so I'm looking forward to listening to this interview.

Re: "ROD Cast reunion panel"--the closest thing I can think of to this is the one time they got together the main cast of Princess Tutu in the dub, as well as the director of the dub, the creator and a few of the Japanese voice actors. ...I remember this because I missed going to it and I still mourn it. It sounds like this was even a bigger thing than the Tutu event was, though.

On ROD seeming ancient--I remember once when I talked to a Japanese teacher of mine that liked anime and told him I needed to watch more "older" titles--"like Cowboy Bebop". He gave me a surprised look and said "Cowboy Bebop is old??" I wonder what he'd think about fans saying shows from the mid 2000s as ancient!

Hmm. I wonder what dubs I thought were awkward or mediocre were due to the client thinking that a certain actor should be cast when maybe they really shouldn't? (...And I wonder who thought that JYB should be Izaya in Durarara? Although I shouldn't say much yet since the dub's not out, maybe it'll turn out fine.)

Re: "Same 10 dudes"--I know I've definitely heard voice actors mention lower budgets in con panels and such lately...so the fact that the budget is one of the causes for this doesn't really surprise me. (It makes me sad when people don't acknowledge good actors that DON'T get cast in everything when they do pop up, though.)

On re-releases: Has Paranoia Agent been rescued yet? I have that on DVD but eventually me and my brother are going to move out of my parent's place and...we might end up fighting over the DVDs for that, so I think I'd probably buy another copy if it came out. (Plus, it's easier to pimp out series to other people if you can point them to where they can get their own copy.)

LOL, the Arucard VS Alucard debate reminds me of Chrno VS Chrono among Chrono Crusade fans. Oh, how pleased I was when the manga got reprinted and it was spelled Chrono Crusade, with a giant flame on the previously missing O! (The reprint even includes a short strip of the mangaka explaining to the characters "It has a new title now! Same katakana, but I forgot one of the Os the first time!" and the characters responding with shocked faces saying "WHAT?!")

Escaflowne could use a new dub. Yes. That's one of the few shows that I just don't want to watch in English, and there's plenty of shows I like to watch in English that get called horrible dubs.

Ahaha, oh man, even as probably one of those younger fans (I just recently turned 23) I still sometimes get irritated with the younger members of fandom. I'm not sure if they're getting more polite, but...maybe? I hope so.

I've definitely noticed the "first volume slump"--Princess Tutu is a great dub, but the first volume is...not BAD, but mostly "decent". (Although I think part of the problem with the first volume is that the script is a little awkward in comparison to later volumes.) It's pretty obvious as the series goes on that the voice actors were much more comfortable.

I got to see Patrick Seitz at a con last year. In a panel I think he said Koi Kaze was one of his favorite shows to work on. I've heard a LOT of good things about it--I do want to pick it up, although who knows if I'll be able to get a hold of it...

Jerry was at that con too, actually! He's a very...chill...guy. Loved him as a guest, though. He pretty much wasn't on my map until Baccano!--no idea why. (I guess it helps that I wasn't crazy about the Fruits Basket anime...)

On not going to the artist when analyzing a work--I sort of...agree? I really, really love hearing a creator's opinions on their work and generally think they're important (particularly when you've got, say, JRR Tolkien trying to tell people that LOTR was *not* about WWII...or a creator just shooting down an interpretation like that), but at the same time, if their intention isn't clear in the work then in some ways it's a flaw, isn't it? If you HAVE to go to a creator's words to understand something, then they probably made a mistake somewhere along the road. If that makes sense at all.

Anyway, great podcast this week! I really enjoyed it, and it was awesome getting to hear from these two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Escaflowne could use a new dub. Yes. That's one of the few shows that I just don't want to watch in English, and there's plenty of shows I like to watch in English that get called horrible dubs.

I thought the Escaflowne dub was okay. Tolerable, at least. Kirby Morrow, Andrew Francis, and Paul Dobson all put in solid performances. Some of the other VAs clearly didn't, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I thought the Read or Die TV English dub was okay, but the Hellsing dub was way, way better.

Actually, I think the ADV dub of the original ROD OVA was better than the TV show's. And you won't hear me praise ADV dubs often. Of course, maybe that's just me liking the OVA more in general than the TV series.

Technically, that wasn't ADV's dub. That's more of Gaijin Production's work which so happens used some ADV's VAs because I believe it was Amanda Winn Lee's studio.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
For those who want to know what they're talking about with Evangelion. Here it is. http://wiki.evageeks.org/Marduk_Institute

So it's just a reference to one of the main gods of the Babylon religion, and isn't meant to mean anything much like how the Spear of Longinus is obviously not the spear that pierced Jesus.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's awesome to hear Jonathan and Taliesin on here. Smile I'm a massive fan of several of Jonathan's directorial efforts, especially Haibane Renmei and Paranoia Agent, and Taliesin did a ridiculous job on BECK. I first saw ROD the TV only within the past year or so, and it almost instantly became one of my personal favorite anime series, in large part due to the incredible English dub that the staff and cast put together. I mean, when you run into that asinine "all english dubs sux" attitude out there, this is one of the shows that you want to throw in people's faces as the ultimate counter-argument. It's such a fun series to listen to, mostly because the actors really managed to bring their characters to life. They wind up feeling like the sort of people you already know in your own life, as opposed to the larger-than-life cutouts that most fictional characters seem to be. I think it's great that the series is getting a re-release like this, since it hopefully means that more people will be able to re-discover the series. It really is a massive shame that New Generation hasn't had the opportunity to work on anime series over the past few years, since you guys always put out such high-quality work. I certainly hope that circumstances will set up somewhere down the road to let you take on a quality series or two.

penguintruth wrote:

Yeah, that's something I simply can't agree with in the least. There were a few good individual actors in the OVA dub, including Crispin Freeman putting a fun hammy turn as Joker, but the effort as a whole was somewhat over-the-top, and even amateurish in a few spots. The TV show, on the other hand, represented something unique among anime dubs. Getting legitimate British actors to play British roles. Getting actual children to play children's roles, which literally never happens. (Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elric is about the only other instance that comes to mind.) And the tone of the direction, and indeed of the series itself, lent itself to something refreshing: instead of being played in that sort of "hey we're voiceacting" style that even most of the best dubs use, ROD was able to pull off something that felt far more conversational and flat-out human. Nenene in particular sticks out in my mind as one of the best single-character performances of any US dub. While the OVA's dub was certainly good in its own right, that of the TV series was just really special.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I think the ADV dub of the original ROD OVA was better than the TV show's. And you won't hear me praise ADV dubs often.

Technically, that wasn't ADV's dub. That's more of Gaijin Production's work which so happens used some ADV's VAs because I believe it was Amanda Winn Lee's studio.

Technically nothing - it was licensed by Manga.

[edit - fixed quotes /]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, loved the ROD TV panel at Anime Expo 2005. Got me everyone's autographs (on the provided board and on my DVD box) and group photo. Good times.

My BD set has shipped, so hopefully I'll have time to watch it when it arrives.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
The Hellsing story made me laugh a little. I am hoping Funimation will get Hellsing Ultimate out soon.

I do agree with them about the first volume slump, it's completely true. I makes sense what they're talking about.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the ANNCast, despite knowing nothing about dubs, as I'm sub-only. I was surprised at how much I liked it. The guests were fun and entertaining, and I liked the Alucard/Arucard story.
Beized

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Watch was the first show they were talking about after Zac asked about there old dubs they wish people would rediscover? The name sounded like Nia but I cant pin it down.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
Watch was the first show they were talking about after Zac asked about there old dubs they wish people would rediscover? The name sounded like Nia but I can't pin it down.

Niea_7 -- a show the Serial Experiments Lain crew did afterwards. It's a little off the wall and a bit of slice-of-life. It's not the best comparison, but if you wish K-on had weightier topics, aliens, less fanservice, a bit of melancholy, and heaps of subtext give it chance. I've seen it on Netflix for rent.

It was really fun hearing these guys talk about the glory days of Geneon. My first purchased anime series was Haibane, then I rented Lain, Niea, and ROD. I thought most anime was like this and Ghibli. I still wish it was.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The TV show, on the other hand, represented something unique among anime dubs. Getting legitimate British actors to play British roles. Getting actual children to play children's roles, which literally never happens. (Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elric is about the only other instance that comes to mind.

I know Chrono Crusade used some actual kids for some of the bit parts in the Seventh Bell flashbacks. All of the kids that were main characters were played by adults, though. (Come to think of it, the caretaker of the orphanage was played by a British woman. I wonder why I never heard her in anything else?)

There's also Disney's Ghibli dubs, nearly all of which used children actors for the kids roles. (The only one I can think of that DIDN'T is Castle in the Sky, actually.)

Both of those make sense to me, though--Chrono Crusade was one of those shows that was dubbed during the anime heyday, and Disney has lots and lots of time and money to burn on their dubs. It probably goes back to what Talesin and Jonathan were talking about with how good dubs get made and such. We probably won't be seeing dubs like that for a long, long time...if we'll ever get back up to that level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3