• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Laughing It's amazing I haven't checked out a single show this season. Though with all the fanservice/ecchi/incest shows coming out this season, it's not that surprising why. I'll check out Gosick and Level E if I get time from catching up from last season's shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
First off, I would like to sincerely thank Carl and Theron for giving us reviews of Gosick Episode 2. I like it when the preview goes beyond the first episode.

However, Theron: His name is Kazuya Kujō, Not Ryuji!

I hope that episode 2 of Gosick puts to rest any further suggestions that Kazuya is your standard, bland, incompetent male character! He has proven himself brave and quite competent, not to mention assertive and unwilling to put up with frivolity. spoiler[(Of course, as I expected, Victorica's huge pile of luggage was necessary in the long run, which makes the scene in episode 1 where he takes her packing down from a small caravan worth to a single suitcase even more humorous!)] I think I'll go watch episode 2 again! It was great!
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
Well, that didn't take long.

Just watched episode 1 of Gosick. It's an alright show, I probably will still wait for the Spring shows, but at least this one is a candidate for me keeping up with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Damn, another drab, disappointing season. The only show that really caught my attention is Level E; Gosick and Zombie are in the "continue hoping it'll get better" slot, and the rest are just not worth my time, or aren't my type (like Madoka). I'm kind of miffed that both Noitamina entries are completely uninteresting to me. Confused
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Just read Key's review of Wandering Son.... actually got around to reading the first volume of it out of curiosity a few weeks ago (whatever social-cultural issues may be associated with it, I can really dig good character drama). And boy, it wasn't the easiest to follow. Would reading more of it, then, be recommended if one was to follow the anime better? Or does it look like there's enough potential that, after the first episode, it'll be friendlier to new-comers? (as it feels like I've forgotten what happened in most of the first volume already...).

Yea, I found the first volume fairly hard to follow as well, but it gets better as the story progresses. I would personally recommend reading more of the manga as it introduces a lot of the chars that the anime just kinda threw in there, and it covers some of the relationships that can be confusing for people just starting on the anime (like how Carlos mistakenly thought his sister just found out about his habits, when that's not the case).

Hopefully the flashbacks will help newcomers to the series understand some of the story they skipped over, but I do feel like they've skipped a bit too much for it being the first episode.

P.S. I greatly dislike starting in medias res for most works.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Amazing second episode of Madoka. The "I can grant any wish line" sealed it for me: IT'S A TRAP!!!! That, and the two quotes form freaking FAUST. This will not go down well...
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
What a clear uptick in quality from Winter2010 ... with one ongoing series already locked in (TB:Reverse), I am definitely following Level E, Wandering Son, GOSICK and Fractale, and that's before checking to see whether the "maybe follow" series show enough promise in the first three episodes to follow.

In Winter2010, I had a continuing series, and since I was misled by the character design of Sora no Woto into discounting it (until I read a review at Okazu toward the end of the season), I was only really following Letter Bee and Durarara.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Rio is sounding exactly how I expected.

I'm still watching it, just because it's the closest I'll ever get to a Dead or Alive anime (and I have a thing for the character)

Don't judge me =(

I won't judge you, it seem you and I have the same thought. Very Happy

Anyway, I got chance to see the first episode of Rio-Rainbow Gate on CR. The anime is quite interesting, and a little hilarious in some part. I don't have enough judgement to say if this anime is good or not. But I think this anime is worth a view for Dead or Alive fan.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Finally got to watch some winter anime yesterday (all episodes 1 only):

Fractale: premise looks interesting, I like the futuristic setup. Unclear if this will go anywhere, and I wasn't too keen on the inept trio there, but I'll watch a few more episodes to decide. It looks pretty.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka: Totally silly. Somewhat fanservicey, but in a comedic way, and the ending was hilarious and is what made me decide to keep watching.

Beelzebub: even MORE ridiculous than Zombie, and I will probably continue to watch for at least a while.

Gosick: Meh. I was bored with it from the getgo. Nothing grabbed me, and the gothic lolita thing just adds another negative point for me. Maybe if she were in regular 1920s attire I'd at least give it another chance, but I stopped watching in the middle.

Level E: Hahaha, I loved this. It's funny, and dramatic, and I like the characters. Completely interested in this one and overwhelming favorite so far.

I still have to watch Wandering Son, which I am completely looking forward to, but have to wait until Thursday when CR releases it to everyone. I'm expecting it to rank even higher than Level E or equal to it.
theater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seca wrote:

So to me it would not be surprising for people to come into an anime series without being familiar with the original source material. I mean there are people that watch the Harry Potter movies without ever reading the original books and may never plan to do so. So I think the idea that people will make sure they're familiar with the source material before they check out an adaption is off.

To be fair, Freezing is based on the manhwa of the same name by Im Dal Young but I agree with the point that not all adaptations of their written counterparts are necessary since the animated versions are such a departure. Case and point Kurokami the Animation; also based on manhwa. My main beef with this show is the fact that animators so callously overlooked one of the best manhwa, if not best action comics in general; Veritas by YOON Joon-sik. Fingers crossed that Production I.G. or Studio Bones decides to purchase the license.
megafilipe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Any news about wich shows are censured or not?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
megafilipe wrote:

I see someone's an Allen West fan. Razz

Personally, I'm for all for "censuring" Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! Those character designs are absolutely horrific! Very Happy
megafilipe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
megafilipe wrote:

I see someone's an Allen West fan. Razz

Personally, I'm for all for "censuring" Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! Those character designs are horrific! Very Happy
not really lol
i am anti-censuring.. as a way to protest im only watching non censured anime Razz
dvd, blu-ray versions

zombie and freezing its not, go ahead and watch it ^^
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Swing and a miss!

Episode 1 of CR's Kore wa Zombie desu ka? did appear to have a couple of censored moments, but I haven't compared it to the AT-X airing, which typically airs anime uncencored. I haven't really noticed anything else as of yet. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30