• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favourite music and why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syntelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely buy the soundtracks of Emma and Gankutsuou.

I'm a sucker for piano pieces and orchestra music(yet I hate classical music, lol). I really like how calm both these animes' soundtracks are. Gankutsuou's soundtrack is dark and brooding, though very elegant and calm. The music from Victorian Romance Emma is somewhat the opposite, though still keeping the sumptuous feeling to it's pieces.

Basically these are very peaceful OSTs that are down to earth. I don't really listen to soundtracks that are upbeat unless it's electronic or rock music. Razz
Reanbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I want to buy Zombie-Loan's soundtrack. The OP/ED songs aren't the greatest, but the rest of the soundtrack is awesome. And the character songs... Well, Suzuken (Kenichi Suzumura) voices my favourite character, so of course I also want the character album. xD
Idk if Avatar counts as an anime (cos it's American, animated in Korea and is anime-style) but I want the OST of it.
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro's soundtrack is pretty good/has some creepy songs (and scenes o.o) too...
Oh! Hetalia's characters songs are lollarific. I want the Hetalia OST too! xD
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
There are many anime series that have pretty much grabbed me by the earlobes and would not let go until I had the soundtracks for them. However the ones that probably made the biggest impression have been from the anime produced by SHAFT.
I know-they don't do the music themselves, but for some reason, Shinbo & Company know what kind of sound to use, and they use it doggone well.
Both Pani Poni Dash and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei have such a wide array of music-not just in the OP and ED songs, but during the actual show themselves. Especially SZS, as you can go from a lilting pianissimo to a wood block in the blink of an eye. Not to mention they did their best to repeat this idea in later series like Maria+Holic and Awakara Under the Bridge.
Another series with an excellent soundtrack is Magical Arcade Abenoboshi. Gainax really outdid themselves with the music for this series, and the music is underappreciated. Too bad too. The idea of "variations on a theme"? The soundtrack CD shows how much work and effort was put into it, and the variations-all basically the same theme, but in different styles to match which episode is downright amazing.
However, I have to give my favorite music soundtrack to the little series that captured my heart-GA. I mentioned "variations" in the previous paragraph, but the ending songs-all the same basic rhythm and tune-but done in different themes and all sung by the main VA's (especially Miyuki Sawashiro-IMHO the best VA alive!) are extremely good and can be listened to repeatedly without getting tired of them. The opening song is definitely an "earworm" as you won't be able to shake it from your skull after listening to it either. But the complete win for GA's soundtrack is-the incidental music. Yes, you will notice that the themes change for whomever the main character is at the time, and there is a nice variety and a mix of all different types of music as well. Chikako Awara's theme is just plain bouncy, and will put some pep in your step. I just wish I could figure out what kind of instrument is being "plucked" when she comes on the screen. It's almost like a banjo, and not a guitar at all. It's too jazzy to be a shamisen...i think.
Anyways, my 2cents, take it or leave it. Kind of like the dish at the counter of a convenience store....have a penny-give a penny.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
The Big O is one of my favorites, it was actually the first anime I imported the soundtracks from Japan. I love the atmosphere the OST gives the show and I just love it. The other is Evangelion, when I was in Japan in 2009 I actually bought the Eva 2.0 soundtrack for that as well even though it was 3,000 yen which translates to like $35-40 but was worth every penny. Of course I cant talk about OST's without talking about Cowboy Bebop which I love along with most of Yoko Kanno's work (Escaflowne, Macross Plus, etc...).
MrAlien

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha- Shinjitsu no Uta. It brings out so many memories. I can never get enough Yazheng instrument. Makes me so emotional =(

Gurren Lagaan: Libera Me From Hell (Row Row Fight the power) That is such a pump up song for me. I use this song in my mp3 player during workouts. The piano rift pushes me to work harder.
Everytime I hear it, I remember what Kamina says... Believe in yourself.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
There are many ways to answer this.

Record of Lodoss War has the best soundtrack in terms of composition matching the appeal of the show. It is well thought out and rather unique in terms of anime.

If I'm to consider soundtrack matching my personal taste, then I'd pick something like Gundam Wing since I like songs by TWO-MIX. Or perhaps something like Wolf's Rain, since it's better in other pieces besides its songs.

If I only had to pick up a single song, then I'd pick the soundtrack of Genocyber, since it has this awesome song called Fairy Dreamin'.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reason. -TK]
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reason. -TK]
menelvagor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the NHK because the music is so atmospheric, and is perfectly suited to the mood of the show. I enjoy the OST a whole bunch.

Beck because it's AWESOME. Sounds [except for Chiba's vocals] much like the classic-rock inspired band I was part of in highschool. Loved hearing different characters sing the songs too, always sends shivers up my spine.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
menelvagor wrote:
Beck because it's AWESOME. Sounds [except for Chiba's vocals] much like the classic-rock inspired band I was part of in highschool. Loved hearing different characters sing the songs too, always sends shivers up my spine.
Seeing as I got Beck's original DVD release last week, I definitely have to agree with you on that one--the music's amazing. But I loved Chiba' vocals. Surprised Typhoon 24 FTW.
ShadowFalls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I like pretty much everything in the Gundam Seed / Seed Destiny series. Between the lyrics, how it is sung, and the rhythm of the music itself. Would probably say "Anna Ni Issho Datta No Ni" by See-Saw is my favorite of the list.
chachaboru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
k-on
i like ALL the lively opening themes and the cool ending themes as well as the character songs esp. "heart goes boom"

law of ueki
i really like "kokoro no wakusei" it sounds so calm

shugo chara
their songs are really cute like "kiss kiss kiss" and "lotta love"

negima!?
just like shugo chara, it's cute and i like how the one's who sing are the voice actors!

bakemonogatari
"kimi ni shira nai" sound's so AWESOME and "renai circulation" is so cute!
Little Flower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Bleach The music is just so awesome. (Sorry I can't describe it better)

Clannad The openings/endings fit so well to the series. The background music also fit well for the scenes.

I also really like the music from Ouran Highschool Host Club.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Probably my favorite sound track would be Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for Dennou Coil. It encompasses an incredibly broad range of genres from string quartets through full orchestrations to the occasional rock piece.

Another favorite is Honma Yusuke's score for Oh! Edo Rocket. What other choice could there be for a show that puts contemporary technologies into the Edo period but 1940's big-band stylings that sound like the Dorseys? My only complaint is that there a bit too much reuse of the main themes.

Ootake Kaoruku's score for Bartender seamlessly fits the setting. It's easy to imagine her sitting at a piano in the corner of Eden Hall noodling away. In some cases she and the director are entirely in-tune, as it were. In episode two, for instance, there's a lovely transition from one theme to the next in conjunction with Ryuu's realization of the specific liquor Miwa seeks to obtain for her grandfather.

Lately I've become enamored of Otani Kou's score for Hyouge Mono. It, too, is very quirky like Honma's work on Rocket. The music accompanying the battle sequences is appropriately martial and heavily orchestrated, but it's the backgrounds for the quieter scenes that really caught my attention. The music behind Sasuke's tour of Nobunaga's castle in episode three captures Sasuke's sense of awe and disorientation.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, quite a few of Yoko Kanno's soundtracks are favorites of mine, for obvious reasons. Wolf's Rain is probably my favorite (I already have the first OST, and I would really love to own the second if I could find it for a reasonable price), but I also love Cowboy Bebop's music and I'm loving the music for Kids on the Slope so far^^

Beck also has some pretty awesome music (especially Moon on the Water), though I prefer the English dub track. Also, I love Mushishi's soundtrack for how simple, soothing and quietly beautiful it is.

Usually I only latch onto a couple of outstanding tracks in a show (this is the case with FMA, Baccano, many of Yuki Kajiura's soundtracks, etc.) but these are the ones that are both nice to listen to on their own and fit the series they are from perfectly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15