• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo 3DS's N. American Launch Date, Price Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
Well, after many years of being anti-Nintendo I've decide to pre-order this baby. I even have some DS games I bought in anticipation for this that I won't be able to play till March. Its been a long time since I've been excited about a Nintendo product so I hope this will live up to my expectations, and for that I will need better third-party support than what has been offered on Nintendo systems over the last decade or so, and more mature games.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
Only $250? Wow. The way you guys talk about this thing, I was expecting it to be much higher.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Only $250? Wow. The way you guys talk about this thing, I was expecting it to be much higher.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.. Even so, I know I won't be getting it for a long while.

It would have been awesome for Nintendo if they could have gotten this with that price tag out before Christmas. Around where I live other Nintendo products stayed instock.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
Considering I bought the Nintendo DSi for a higher price than this the week it came out, this price is quite good Very Happy I won't be buying it for a while though for two reasons:
1) I still need to buy a PSP
2) I have waaay too many games sitting on my shelf waiting for my attention, for now I don't need more.

Now, if only they sold time somewhere.....
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'm happy with the price and the date (250 euros and the 25th for me), but the launch lineup seems iffy. Nintendo won't clarify which of those games are actually coming out on the release date, but if it's anything like the Japanese lineup the answer is probably "none of the good ones". I'll still buy it on the day it comes out just to avoid potential shortages, but I can't see myself playing the thing much until a few months later.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
I've been buying Nintendo games and consoles for more than a decade and I can honestly say, this is a whole new playing field for Nintendo.

But I've read that the battery is exceptionally lower than any other Nintendo DS system. While it might be good that that the mAH is higher than any other system, if you can't play for too long, the mAH really doesn't matter then.

Not that I am criticizing Nintendo, but I also find it strange that Nintendo chose to continue to use the 802.11b/g series, but not the 802.11n. 802.11n has been around since 2009 and has been certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance as well.

Considering that 802.11 b came out in 1999 and 802.11g came out in 2003, it's something perplexing why Nintendo didn't choose to use 802.11n or wait several months until 802.11s came out.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
I guess I know what date I'll be picking up my "dropped in price" DSi now. Smile

I really wonder what effect the 3DS system will have on people's eyes - while I realize the Virtual Boy is (always was?) archaic, it was Nintendo's first attempt at 3D games. I hope the same maladies don't afflict people this time around with the 3DS. Which is why I'm sitting back and waiting to see how it fares.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
I've read some reviews and first impressions reported out of Japan that have said people have had eye fatigue and dizziness after only 10 minutes of playing demos and had to shut off the 3D. I don't know exactly how many people or percentage have had these problems, but it's not a promising start for Nintendo.

Personally I'm just going to wait until they come out with the 3DS XL.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems to be a similar situation as with 3D movies- some people can use it just fine for extended periods, other people get uncomofortable if they use it for too long.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I really wonder what effect the 3DS system will have on people's eyes - while I realize the Virtual Boy is (always was?) archaic, it was Nintendo's first attempt at 3D games. I hope the same maladies don't afflict people this time around with the 3DS. Which is why I'm sitting back and waiting to see how it fares.

From what I've heard about the 3DS from Adam Sessler and company at G4TV's Feedback podcast, they talked to a Nintendo representative (might've been Reggie Fils-Aime) about the 3DS this past E3 and I think Adam was the one who asked how long was Nintendo developing this thing and working on it. And if I can recall, the representative said as follows "ever since the Virtual Boy."

Last edited by Hypeathon on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Also confirmed, The 3DS will be region locked

Not a complete deal breaker, but very upsetting just the same.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Also confirmed, The 3DS will be region locked

Not a complete deal breaker, but very upsetting just the same.

Yowza, they lost my sale Sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I've already pre-ordered mine. If Dead or Alive: Dimensions has Samus as a playable character (as a new trailer recently hinted) then I'm probably going to get that.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered mine today too--paid for it in full, even. Very Happy

Unfortunately, Gamestop wouldn't except my DSlite when I tried to trade it in. It works perfectly but, a crack in the casing by the power switch deemed it unsellable. Mad

Idea Hmm, maybe I can trade it in at a mom/pop shop toward the purchase of Arcana Heart 3?

Ooooh, a silver lining! Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I've read some reviews and first impressions reported out of Japan that have said people have had eye fatigue and dizziness after only 10 minutes of playing demos and had to shut off the 3D. I don't know exactly how many people or percentage have had these problems, but it's not a promising start for Nintendo.

Personally I'm just going to wait until they come out with the 3DS XL.

Emerje

And that is why I am not going to buy it. Maybe the brand new gamers might not mind this, but I am not risking eye fatigue just to play a game.

3D is okay (I personally am not a fan of it) but I know too much of it can cause not only dizziness and eye fatigue, but some of the symptoms can become much worse and might eventually require you to see a doctor, if not a hospital at some point.

So that is why I am just sticking with the regular Nintendo DS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2