• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
im a bit new...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
false_martyr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:51 am Reply with quote
alright, could someone either direct me to a faq that answers this, or answer it outright?

i submitted a bit of info on a page of the encylopedia, now what? does someone review it or whatever? will i know if it is added/declined?

thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:55 pm Reply with quote
There are 2 things that you added. For David Hayter you added the non-anime role
Quote:
Solid Snake in "Metal Gear Solid (1 & 2)" (video game)
As you can see yourself, that was added directly in the encyclopedia and it's there for everyone to see.

The other thing you added was an "other information" for Beau Billingslea:
Quote:
He played in Rurouni Kenshin under the name of John Billingslea. He played Gohei (the false manslayer in the first episode, but you probably already know that). noticed this wasn't listen so...
In this case, you didn't really add the information in the right place. If you wish to add an anime for this person, go to that anime's page in the Encyclopedia and there add Beau Billingslea as cast or staff. So you should simply go to Rurouni Kenshin and there click on the + sign next to "english cast" and then enter John Billingslea with role "Gohei".

You're not the first one to make that mistake either... I wonder how can I possibly make this clearer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
false_martyr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
thank you very much, i appreciate that. one last thing, is putting something like 'DVD credits" good enough for verifcation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:36 pm Reply with quote
You mean putting "DVD credits" in the URL/explanation textbox? Sure, that works. As for verification, well, we don't verify everything that's entered; that would be a ridiculously huge job. We work on the assumption that people will be reasonable and enter accurate information. Of course, people sometimes make mistakes (or willfully spam; but that hasn't happened yet), and we correct those mistakes as we find out about them.

It's actually a pretty good system because it allows us to catalog mistakes as well as correct data. Let's say that person P is commonly listed as director for anime A, except it's not true. When that error is reported in the Encyclopedia, we'll set that information as "false" and anyone who tries to re-enter that person as director for that anime will get a message saying "we already know this information is false". Over time, this should allow to weed out the common mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
false_martyr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:42 am Reply with quote
again my thanks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1