• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
mangas that are good but can't read them over and over

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coykiesaol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Have u ever have a manga that u think is really good but u just can't reread them
to me, I just can't stand Fruits Basket, it's a good manga, but I can't read it again (too dramatic for my taste)
Bleach is another one, I just know what happens next, it just not as exciting when I reread them
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
The Excel Saga manga comes to mind. I love/enjoy the series, but there is just way too much text. I'm positive I can re-read a volume of Excel Saga, only if I'm willing to sacrifice a large portion of time. I would say I can read 4 Gantz volumes during the time it would take for me to read 1 volume of Excel Saga. (Note: I'm a slow reader(?))
Also it doesn't help that the SFX aren't translated on the page.(Dame you Viz)
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Death Note comes to mind. I loved it a lot and at least the first half of it or even 2/3's of it. Though once you know the ending it kind of has no point in reading it anymore. They mystery is already spoiled and the series is not all that deep at least not to me anyways. I loved having shit manga on myself but was running out of room so it was one of the collections of manga i sold that I knew wouldnt mean a huge deal to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Death Note. The suspense was the main reason why it was so awesome, and there is no suspense at all when you reread it.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This applies to most of the manga I read. Probably the only manga I've read where I've gone and done significant re-reads on it was for Mahou Sensei Negima, and that's because certain chapters are hilarious to re-read.

On the other hand, I couldn't even be bothered to finish doing catch-up reading on Bleach before skipping to the most recent chapters. I've read every Naruto chapter, but I'm not planning on re-reading them any time soon.

Jaymie wrote:
Death Note. The suspense was the main reason why it was so awesome, and there is no suspense at all when you reread it.

For me, that applies to all but the last handful of chapters, spoiler[when Light is finally caught and dies.] Those chapters are fantastic to re-read, and so emotionally intense (although the anime's depiction of them is even better).
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I've actually yet to run into this at all, not even with some of the really heavy stuff emotionally, like Osamu Tezuka's Adolf, I would re-read that again in a heartbeat.

Now, the only time I get kinda close on this is with like, mystery stuff, once you know how it's solved, it seems kinda pointless to read it again, which is probably why Case Closed has 50+ volumes, so that by the time you forget what happened in volume 4, it feels like new when you re-read it. But those simply require really long waiting time before re-reads for me is all.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin.

I could never get past the Jinchu arc a second or third time around - I'd always get too bored by then.
Matthewop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Death Note. not only the book but the show on tv is great!!
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. The beginning was decent, the dark revelations and twists in the middle were awesome, and...things just spiraled out of control. IMO, Clamp wrote themselves into a corner and their attempt at a resolution was a complete mess. The manga itself was overall pretty good, but I will never re-read it because I wouldn't want to go through the last third of the series.

On another note, is it just me or have we not seen a satisfying ending from Clamp since their Cardcaptor Sakura / Tokyo Babylon days? (well, in many cases no ending at all *cough*xandgohoudrug*cough*)
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
*sigh*

It's CLAMP... People give them WAY too much credit and hype, despite their own real talent being drawing extremely pretty, young boys in exotic...tents.

Everyone keeps forgetting that they can't pace worth a shit, that their characters are about as deep and interesting as planks of wood, and that their stories are contrived of one cliched trope after another...
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
*sigh*

It's CLAMP... People give them WAY too much credit and hype

While I do find this to be true, I think it's a bit off of the topic, after all, you don't find them to be actually good to begin with, so of course you probably wouldn't want to re-read them. I could name plenty of manga that I find to be bad and of course won't re-read, just none that I find to be actually good that I wouldn't re-read. The bad stuff isn't worth re-reading the first place, if even finishing once *glares over at Peach Girl* I mean no offence here, just that it's already not good in the first place for you (and other people)

But I still can't think of anything that I enjoyed that I wouldn't re-read, I can sure name stuff that I wouldn't re-read, just nothing that I found to be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1