• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime News Network Magazine

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
A print magazine? The big thing for me with Anime News Network is that I can check the site 5 times a day and get at least one update each time. A magazine can't really give that up-to-the-minute news feel because by the time you get it the news could be a month(or half a month, if its bi-monthly) old. Also, what would the magazine offer that we couldn't get from the website?
demon_kinsin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd chech it out it could be cool.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we know that Internet is a better information source than just a magazine, but it could also be awesome. I guess it would have more reports about series...or...er, I don't know, xD. After voting, pretty sure that I'd want to get the first issue, and then, just see how's about...

By the way, in case you produce it...You're not gonna publish out of America, don't you? Very Happy
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I would like a magazine. It would be better for quick reference, and I would rather read an ANN magazine then Newtype since their prices are a bit insane.

I think it's a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Prices insane? bah i spend the money on that even though i'm low on money, that's my main source of revenue in tribute to the anime industry

as far as an ANN mag, i'd like to know what you would have in it. You could make it supplemental to your website. This deserves some brainstorming Razz i'm very good at brainstorming, hook me up, i'll give it to ya free
demon_kinsin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yea give us some info on what you would do. Special contest, free stuf etc.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I would like to read some issues first, before deciding on suscribing to it. But will the substance, and news, on ANN's site be the same as in the magazine? Or will it be different?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
You really need exclusive content to be able to break into the market.
extralife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Exclusive content is easy if you have interesting writers. The best print reads come not from what is handed out by companies, but what is thought out by the staff.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd certainly be willing to pick it up. As long as there are good previews/reviews of anime, I'll get it.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't think this is such a good idea. The magazine bussiness is quite possibly one of the most brutal on the face of the Earth, and more often than not upstart magazines get hit with huge losses right out of the gate and never recover, resulting in a swift death. Especially when your entering into a market already crowded with Anime Insider, Animerica, Newtype USA who have established readerships.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this website already a free magazine? So, inless you put in some cool stuff and a bunch of articles you can't find on the site i probably won't buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kyuu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I figure it depends on the base attitude. Right now, ANN is very effectively ignoring pretty much all news items that happen outside USA or Japan. If one source could actually be a bit more international, this might be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I still like ANN, it seems a lot less biased than several other sites, but I strongly dislike the "international feel" of the site, when in actuality most of the news concerning for example europe are never seen, even though several are often sent to the site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
demon_kinsin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
well since they don't have video game info on the site they could put a game section and add game reviews previews and news. Also the need a monthly rlease list. I get animerica and i'm pissed because they dont have a release list.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I really am against the idea of a magazine because for a good magazine you need exclusive content. For that, you may need to take some content that could be put on the ANN wbsite. I don't want the ANN magazine to steal content from the site to get "exclusive" info and articles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4