• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 50

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
D+ for story? But what did I expect from someone who gives Berserk C-? Really funny. I'm sure Nauto haters will love you.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
@ Pirkaf:

I don't know whether or not Carlo is a fan of Naruto, but I can understand from maybe a casual person's point of view why Naruto volume 50 would be a bad place to read the manga if you haven't read anything before it. If you read from start to finish of this chapter, you will probably notice that very little was introduced or resolved within this volume, thus it doesn't feel like a stand alone volume where you feel you were satisfied with what you read through out that book and thus feel excited to read more instead of feeling plain confused.

So I can more or less understand what Carlo is getting at since this book doesn't feature much of a beginning, middle and end. This kind of makes me wonder if manga artists who work for say Shonen Jump have a hard time pacing their manga where the chapters arranged in 9-10 chapter format can feel like a stand alone part of a story since many of them are also worried about keeping readers interested on a weekly basis.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
D+ for story? But what did I expect from someone who gives Berserk C-? Really funny. I'm sure Nauto haters will love you.

He isn't catering to Naruto fans when he writes these reviews. He reviews them as he would any other, and unfortunately, even a D+ is a little to generous in my books. Naruto has been nothing but forced drama and 'emotions' since the whole Sasuke retrieval arc.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This was a weaker part during the story for sure, and it didn't help that this is shortly after the insultingly-stupid resolution to the otherwise excellent Pain Invasion arc (spoiler[Pain: "wow, that was a lot of amazing events. OKAY, now I'll dues ex machina everyone back to life thus rendering a good deal of this arc meaningless. Oh, and Naruto, act like you were temporarily deaf when Hinata spoke to you, or something like that".] Things will get back to being much better when in about two volumes or so when Naruto himself becomes the main focus again.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The revelation from Sakura was quite possibly the most awful thing this manga ever churned out. I just can't decide if it's because Kishimoto can't write appealing drama or if he's a master at making insufferable characters like her. Or if he just hates women.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to have to second much of the criticism. The funny thing about Naruto now is that the series has outgrown the main character. What was meant to be a generally lighthearted story centered around some goofy kid is currently trying to be 'War and Peace'. I could even push it and say that Sasuke and Sakura have almost become surplus to requirements. Though Sasuke does play the role of a villian you want to see punched, repeatedly, quite nicely.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
The revelation from Sakura was quite possibly the most awful thing this manga ever churned out. I just can't decide if it's because Kishimoto can't write appealing drama or if he's a master at making insufferable characters like her. Or if he just hates women.

I think he just hates Sakura period. The other girls (Hinata, Ino, TenTen) barely get any screentime either, but that's true for all the non-Team 7 kids whose name aren't Shikamaru. And all the actual women (18+) in the series kick butt. See what spoiler[Konan] will pull off in a few volumes if you don't believe me.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
With the coming Ninja War arc, I can't help but feel as if Kishimoto took a page from Oda when he did the Marineford War in One Piece. spoiler[I like the coming reunion of old and new characters], but it seems like he's in a rush to catch up with the competition he has over in Japan. Funny thing is Oda also did a spoiler[time skip] himself, but that's hardly anything we haven't seen in Shounen mangas before.

This particular volume, I pretty much agree with everything the review has said. Very rushed exposition of the plot to come.
Asuron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:

It's not exactly like he's wrong here
The story is one giant mess,but I will give this arc one compliment
It's better than that disaster they call the Pain arc
Although ANY arc is better than that Deus Ex Machina bullcrap

@Son-kun
See where the difference lies between the two,is that Oda built up to that war naturally

With Naruto its kinda like " hey we are in a war now, the battles taking place in this location for no specific reason and spoiler[oh did I mention we can bring dead people back to life, because the author killed off any interesting villains who remained"]

Along with that the time skip in One Piece actually meant something, unlike in Naruto where they might as well have just done a training arc for all relevance the timeskip provided

I will say this though, it does get kinda better later on....
but then falls straight back down again
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Asuron wrote:
With Naruto its kinda like " hey we are in a war now, the battles taking place in this location for no specific reason and spoiler[oh did I mention we can bring dead people back to life, because the author killed off any interesting villains who remained"]

That didn't completely come out of nowhere. We already knew awhile ago that Kabuto had taken in Orochimaru's DNA and powers, and Orochimaru could spoiler[bring the dead back to life. Admittedly, the fact that Kabuto was gathering up all the resources to bring back this many dead people wasn't set-up, but we did know he was up to something during this time since he was sighted in several different locations ever since he encountered Naruto during the "Hunt for Itachi" arc.]

Anyway, it's still better than Bleach's war, that's for sure.

A training arc wasn't needed. Sure, Sakura and Kakashi gained some new abilities, but that's about it. Naruto and the others merely increased their taijutsu/chakra skill during that time, no need to have a training arc for all that especially since a long amount of time is required to have a significant increase in those categories. So a timeskip was needed. Just because another series made their timeskip more relevant doesn't make Naruto's pointless.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
I don't really know what chapters make up Volume 50, but it sounds like around Sakura's Confession from the post.

Guess I'm the only one who likes Sakura and the War Arc in general Surprised
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
@Asuron I'm well aware of the differences (The War in One Piece had been in development for years), but the volume count in Naruto is eerily similar to when the War starts in One Piece.

Quote:
I don't really know what chapters make up Volume 50, but it sounds like around Sakura's Confession from the post.

Guess I'm the only one who likes Sakura and the War Arc in general Surprised

I'm pretty sure regardless of how much criticism the series gets, there are still many waiting for when Naruto (or Sasuke) takes the spotlight again. A lot of the battles taking place now are pretty similar to the mess that's happened in the Gokage Summit. You introduce a batch of new characters and hardly give them any time for development or screen time, then toss em' aside for when the need arises. Nothing like when the series started. I still like it though and the Pain arc is decent not counting the resolution. It's pretty much a slap in the face of all the other potentially interesting villains that have faced death. spoiler[Only to be resurrected in the current story....to surely die again.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

No kidding. After reading all the chapters on Shouen Jump already,i did not bother re reading Vol 50 for that exact reason. Though i would not give the storyline a D+. It's a C at best. Unfortunately it's been already done. not to mentioned that their relationship is way too similar to their senseis that's it's almost sad. not to mentioned boring.

Would had been more interested if it was hinata instread and it was about the aftermath of her confession
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asuron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Asuron wrote:

That didn't completely come out of nowhere. We already knew awhile ago that Kabuto had taken in Orochimaru's DNA and powers, and Orochimaru could spoiler[bring the dead back to life. Admittedly, the fact that Kabuto was gathering up all the resources to bring back this many dead people wasn't set-up, but we did know he was up to something during this time since he was sighted in several different locations ever since he encountered Naruto during the "Hunt for Itachi" arc.]

Anyway, it's still better than Bleach's war, that's for sure.

A training arc wasn't needed. Sure, Sakura and Kakashi gained some new abilities, but that's about it. Naruto and the others merely increased their taijutsu/chakra skill during that time, no need to have a training arc for all that especially since a long amount of time is required to have a significant increase in those categories. So a timeskip was needed. Just because another series made their timeskip more relevant doesn't make Naruto's pointless.

Was talking about the actual start of the war
It really just kinda happened, it started somewhere and to be honest I'm still not quite sure where its based, why its in that area and why they decided to attack that spot

As for the timeskip, that would be true,except his skills other than making a bigger rasengan, hadn't really changed at all
The Gaara retrieval and Sasuke retrieval arc proved that quite well
After which we enter a training arc anyway to bring him up to par

Sakuras development would have been nice as well, except now she's useless again, after the one arc where she managed to do something, so that timeskip for her does nothing
It didn't really serve a point other than to make them older

@Son-kun
Sorry if that came across as condescending , tried to explain how I felt on the differences, but I somehow made it sound as if you didn't know this already
So again my apologies
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is that Naruto has gotten way better since the 3 ridiculously long chase after Sasuke arcs all in a row
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2