• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Offers Replacements for Garden of Sinners Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toriko36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
I agree with Taster of Pork, if I'm paying around $400 (RightStuf's price), I expect this box set to be in immaculate condition. I listened to the ANN cast where Shawn from rightstuf was on and said this is a trial, of trying to reverse import Japanese Blurays and I find it amazing. $400 for a box set of films. (Before anyone goes off on a tangent, I am well aware of the high prices of Japanese Blurays in Japan and the obvious cost to import them.) $400 is more than some people make in an entire work week. God bless the Anime industry huh?

I also read the latest review from Zac, and even though I have more similar taste to Justin (I also love manly-man anime) and would love to see a review by him, I would aslo be curious to hear everyone's opinion who purchased the box set and their feedback on the films. Have a great weekend, everybody!
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
So far, I've only had the chance to watch the first three films. The first one has nice animation, but the story is (deliberately) confusing. I wouldn't blame people for thinking the series is nothing special if they only watched the first movie. The movies tell the story out of chronological order. The second movie goes back in time about 5 (?) years and shows how the two main characters met, and it was this movie that pulled me into the story. The third movie was the most gruesome so far, with depictions of rape and dismemberment, but it was also very good and had the action that was largely missing from the second movie.

My grades so far:

Movie 1: B
Movie 2: A-
Movie 3: A
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
this is a trial, of trying to reverse import Japanese Blurays

That would be "import". Reverse importing would be them buying in the Japanese version of, say, Toy Story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they are doing this and have registered. I do have a problem with mine(when laid flat on its back the lid arches where it no longer lays flat on the edges), but I'm not hugely pissed about it and I appreciate them announcing so quick that they would fix it. With a manufactured item there are undoubtedly going to be some that have defects, it is inevitable. I'm just glad (and admittedly a little impressed) that they didn't go the route of many companies who start off denying a problem and coming up with excuses like "you are storing it wrong" or the "humidity in the room must have affected it" before they are flooded with complaints and have to eventually do something. I think they responded well and now I'll just have to see how long it takes to figure out a solution for the new box (not that the box on my shelf is affecting the enjoyment of the films on my T.V. though.)
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
...So, uh, let me get this straight.

People forked over $400 dollars...for what is effectively defective shit...?

...Aniplex....Aniplex......
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
The warping of the box could easily be the result of environmental factors from the shipping. Since the box was sealed in a slip-on plastic cover before it got the padding for shipping, if any mild amount of moisture got in, then transport through the cold weather that we've been having could have easily caused it to warp. Since the boxes have definitely been opened for Aniplex to insert the translated English booklet, it's entirely possible for moisture to have gotten in at that time.

I work in book preservation, we encounter warping from moisture exposure all the time.

The silver foil (I haven't checked mine yet), but if it's single-sided foil with a sticker-adhesive surface (the super cost-effective kind), then the cold weather could cause the glue to fail if it wasn't properly allowed to set under pressure. A tiny dab of PVA or PVA based glue (Elmer's glue) could easily fix this problem if you have something to keep it under pressure, preferably over night.

John Casey wrote:

All I read was, "wahh wahh waahh, other people bought stuff that I'm looking for an excuse to pirate so I'm going to be as derisive towards them as possible!"

I'm sorry paper and water don't mix well. Maybe after you invent paper that's impervious to water, then we'll forever be rid of warping.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
My set is fine except for the slight warping of the lid, as others have noted. (Any time two different materials are glued or laminated together this may happen with varying humidity, as the two materials or thicknesses of material go through slightly different changes.)

Note that this set was shipped during some very extreme weather in North America, so sets may have gone through almost a 100 F degree range and quite a range of humidity, too.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

I'm sorry paper and water don't mix well. Maybe after you invent paper that's impervious to water, then we'll forever be rid of warping.

You're absolutely right! Paper and water don't mix well! A lesson Aniplex is having a pickle with in learning, as one can see here. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Garden of Sinners and shaft those of us who just have DVD players.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off that they're not offering a VHS version. Completely unreasonable.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Zen-Thanks for the overall grades and description of the first 3 movies. It sounds really good but I personally can't justify spending that much on a box set, when you can take your $400 and buy a dozen complete box sets of other series. But that's probably for another forum.

Shiroi Hane-Thank you for correcting me, I'm glad you knew what I meant but I did mix up the terminology, Gomen yo Anime smile.

It's unfortunate, but someone with the box set will probably rip them into torrents and put them out on the net, for all the pirates to download. I admit, I relied on torrents during my college days, but I am proud to say, now that I am thankfully employed, I have begun to purchase about 1-2 series a month on DVD/Blu Ray to support the industry and do my small part to pitch in.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Mines okay Smile
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Garden of Sinners and shaft those of us who just have DVD players.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off that they're not offering a VHS version. Completely unreasonable.

:<

If you want, I can give you my Escaflowne tapes. :3
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
You're absolutely right! Paper and water don't mix well! A lesson Aniplex is having a pickle with in learning, as one can see here. Very Happy

There's a reason why the Library of Congress, Smithsonian, and just about every other mildly respectable preservation/conservation institution throughout the world uses cardboard or paper-based enclosures for the majority of their collections. Care to make a guess?

Here's a hint, it's not because it's cheap.
Archival-quality DVD plastic enclosures cost a dollar a piece when purchased individually, box enclosures start on average around $4-5.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I attended the premiere event in San Francisco the past weekend. The box set is nice - lots of extra illustrations. Had they sold the DVDs separately, I might have considered buying one as a courtesy to Aniplex for inviting Hikaru Kondo & Atsuhiro Iwakami attending the event. But, Kondo's attitude did not impress me, and, judging by the fact that half the attending audience walked out on the event, I guess that others were not enjoying it either. Perhaps it was the translation, but Kondo wanted to know how everyone knew what Garden of Sinners was and insinuated that we had all viewed it, online, for free. The guy in front of me actually waved his imported copies of the movies when Kondo said that.

I don't know if it's so much of a spoiler, but just in case....

spoiler[I really detest stories where a character or a group of characters will go through so many difficult trials and there's no happy, or at least, satisfying, ending. I wanted to see Shiki finally accept Mikiya's feelings, perhaps even jumping on him and confessing that she'd like to have his babies (No...no...?). But she seems so half-arsed about it. I don't know...would it be too much trouble to thank the man?!]
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

...Aniplex....Aniplex......

No, they forked over $400 for something where one item in the premium set, in this case the box, might have some cosmetic damage, and instead of saying "Oh, it's just a minor thing, so the box isn't perfect." Aniplex realizes that for $400, people deserve a perfect product, so they're offering a replacement for the box if people have damage to theirs. Unless you're saying that you think people paid $400 for the box, which is the only item that might have damage, then no, people did not fork over $400 for defective shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4