• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga Special Edition Part 3: Sports Manga and Ginga: Silver Shooting

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Is the kids anime Inazuma Eleven based on Eleven? Or do they both just have similar names because soccer uses 11 players (my assumption, I know next to nothing about soccer, including how many players there are).

Man that translation for Nagareboshi Gin was hilarious!

It sounds like cell phone manga mainly uses a panel by panel display. I wonder how it'll work when the art/speech bubbles goes over multiple panels. Like when a character will make an appearance in one panel but two panels later underneath this panel they'll have a speech bubble. Or say, Skip Beat and the weird panel layout for internal dialogue...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin is a manga at the top of my "Please license this" list...And one of those titles that I am quite confident will never see an English release.

It is tons better than its sequel...s. It feels more natural, the art is better (Ginga Legend Weed's art deteriorated after awhile), and the plot isn't stretched across 60 volumes. Granted, GLW had multiple arcs, but none had much to do with each other. Though I still want to read the Russian German Shepherd arc.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, Akio had problems with depression and eventually committed suicide, and the interesting thing about Captain is that it kind of shows it

Oh wow, that's terrible Sad
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin. Now there's a manga I'd loved to read. Funny that we're covering the predecessor to 'Weed'. I loved the anime, talk about crazy old-school brutality. With dogs? I would have loved to have seen the series picked up by a group that could specialized on older shows. The problem is a reliable market. Actually Weed was serialized here for awhile. I found it really strange. It was like one of those things where you hear about it and then turn around and says, "HUH?"

Appleseed was my first Shirow exposure.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin. Now there's a manga I'd loved to read. Funny that we're covering the predecessor to 'Weed'. I loved the anime, talk about crazy old-school brutality. With dogs? I would have loved to have seen the series picked up by a group that could specialized on older shows. The problem is a reliable market. Actually Weed was serialized here for awhile. I found it really strange.

You mean the ComicsOne edition of Ginga Legend Weed? Yeah, it was pretty bizarre. I think it had a very low print run, as I've never actually seen a physical copy; I reviewed the ebook version.

There's no relationship to Inazuma Eleven as far as I can tell.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:

You mean the ComicsOne edition of Ginga Legend Weed? Yeah, it was pretty bizarre. I think it had a very low print run, as I've never actually seen a physical copy; I reviewed the ebook version.

I bought my copies years ago when they were going for around 13-15 dollars. It really surprised me to see how rare they are nowadays, and makes me feel lucky for buying them when they were cheap.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
ptolemy18 wrote:

I bought my copies years ago when they were going for around 13-15 dollars. It really surprised me to see how rare they are nowadays, and makes me feel lucky for buying them when they were cheap.

They still turn up cheap occasionally - Mile High Comics has all three volumes in as-new condition for $7.95 each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1