• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Marmalade Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
You know, if I hadn't seen so many series like it, I probably would have continued it. But I'd still recommend it to newbies, since it only takes 8 books to finish what other authors drag out too long in other series.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Marmalade Boy and Kodocha were probably some of the first manga I ever read. Good stuff.

I think this is one of the longest sentences I've ever read:
Quote:
Supporting characters such as Ginta, Miki’s friend Meiko and Yuu’s old girlfriend Arimi are given well-fleshed out subplots, and though Miki and Yuu’s relationship suffers from the usual self-doubts concerning confessions and misunderstandings, they more often than not act forthright and courageously, avoiding the kind of annoyingly long and drawn out periods of self torture which often typify other shoujo fare.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, the spouse swapping thing doesn't sound like a very cute and endearing setup for a series that is supposed to be such. It sounds rather sickening actually...
sailor_moon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought so too . . . Until I actually picked it up and gave it a chance. It's not as creepy as it sounds. Really.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
A couple notes about the review:
Quote:
A cute girl longs for her steamy hunk of a brother.

Anime hyper Someone should change that. Yuu is Miki's step-brother. This isn't Revolutionary Girl Utena...
Quote:
Miki Yoishikawa is an average high school freshman...

It's Koishikawa -- with a K.

The series really isn't as creepy as you might think. The parents swapping partners sounds really bizarre -- but they're also presented (rather humourously) as maniacs half of the time. Yoshizumi-san DOES eventually explain everything over the course of the series; so the parents don't look like they're completely insane by the time you get through with it -- but they're still extremely quirky.

Most of the weirdness -- blame it on the parents. But don't let them ruin it for you, give the series a chance for the other characters: Miki, Yuu, Meiko, Ginta, Arimi...

--Emily Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1