• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Process Cheese Theme Music

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that a lot of the opening and closing themes in the anime I've been inputting recently have a number of different credits for each song: Lyrics by, Performed by, Composer & Arranger, English lyrics, English performance, etc

Do we want all of this info in the Encyclopedia? And if so, where?

And while I'm thinking about it, how exactly are we supposed to credit music like that? For example, the opening theme to Twin Signal was performed by a group called Bluem of Youth - but it seems a bit inaccurate somehow to say "Truth" by Bluem of Youth, because it isn't really their song.

And... I noticed in the notes that you recommend entering musical performer credits in the staff lists. But what about when the performers are bands, IE Bluem of Youth? Will the given name/family name system handle that properly?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:13 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of the opening and closing themes in the anime I've been inputting recently have a number of different credits for each song: Lyrics by, Performed by, Composer & Arranger, English lyrics, English performance, etc

Do we want all of this info in the Encyclopedia? And if so, where?

Of course, we want all of that in the Encyclopedia. We want everything Anime smile
There's no problem with entering that many job descriptions. Sometimes it might look like it's too many different tasks to describe basically the same job, but what choice do we have? I think it's best to go with the tasks as they are in the anime's credits.

Case wrote:
And while I'm thinking about it, how exactly are we supposed to credit music like that? For example, the opening theme to Twin Signal was performed by a group called Bluem of Youth - but it seems a bit inaccurate somehow to say "Truth" by Bluem of Youth, because it isn't really their song.

Even though it's not really *their* song, I'd still add it as OP: "Truth" by Bluem of Youth. It's common enough to have a 3rd party compose songs for J-pop groups, and a song is usually recognized according to who performs it. Besides, you could always add the "real" creator in the credits.

Case wrote:
And... I noticed in the notes that you recommend entering musical performer credits in the staff lists. But what about when the performers are bands, IE Bluem of Youth? Will the given name/family name system handle that properly?

I'd rather not have group names in the system. I mean, a group isn't really a "person". There already are some group names in there, but I guess I can't do anything about that. One way to handle it would be to use the group's name for the theme music, but to put each member of the group in the credits.

OP: "Rutabaga" by wagi-waga

Theme Song:
Yuko Tanaka (OP)
Yumi Yamada (OP)

What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1