• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Canadian Artist Publishes His 1st Manga Volume in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Takeshi Miyazawa sounds Japanese to me. He is probably Japanese who was living in the west.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Well yes, I'm sure he's got at least a little Japanese ancestry with a name like that. But the article says he's Canadian (and Wikipedia notes he was born there), so it's still an example of a westerner creating comics in Japan, which I think is uncommon enough to merit interest.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Takeshi Miyazawa sounds Japanese to me. He is probably Japanese who was living in the west.

He's definitely Canadian, and from what I recall from reading his blog has relatives in Japan, but this all still involved a ton of work. Glad ANN posted the news. Congrats to Takeshi for making it work :)

He got his start with the series Sidekicks from Fanboy Entertainment [later published by Oni Press, known to most anime fans as "that Scott Pilgrim company!"], co-created by J. Torres. It was a fun take on the superhero genre, with cartoony/manga-styled b+w artwork, set at a school for the kids of superheroes and supervillains. He then worked for Marvel for a number of years [including after he moved to Japan], and still did some stuff for them here and there while trying to break into the japanese industry- I've read his blog for a number of years, and he's done a lot of hard work to break in.

On a neat note, http://takeshimiyazawa.com/uncategorized/march-is-almost-over/ it looks like the title was released as a monthly comic-book stlye insert in a Capcom magazine. Hope Udon picks up the license given their work with Capcom.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Awesome! That's it. He's officially going to be my role model. If he can become a mangaka in Japan, then maybe I can too if I try hard enough (I want to be one)! Very Happy
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
It's likely a case of his parents being Japanese who moved to Canada and he being first generation Canadian. Thus his parents would have spoken Japanese around the home.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1