• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching anime on Bluray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you watch anime on Bluray?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 87 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 126

DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Poll requested by Darksorrow29.

Darksorrow29 wrote:
Do you watch anime on Bluray? - This one came to mind after looking at the retail forums or even at funimation's recent survey. A lot of questions are geared at quality of bluray or if you prefer your shows on Bluray. It maybe interesting to see how many people on ANN use a bluray player for anime. In the thread they can explain if they think it's worth it for whatever reasons. Fyi I worded the question the way it is to avoid any confusion of just using watching dvds on bluray player.

I don't own a bluray player, so all my anime watching is on dvd or through streaming. I might one day though try Bluray, since I do own a Playstation 3.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
@DarkRoseFairy - Thanks for the sponsor.

I absolutely watch anime on bluray. In fact it's actually my preferred option of purchase over dvds. Recently prices for blurays are not much higher either.

Some advantages of bluray are the cases are smaller, they enable you to watch at a higher resolution (although maybe upscale), and better audio. I'm not exactly an audio junkie but in my experience the audio is quite nice with blurays. Blurays also hold a lot more on each disc so there are a smaller amount of discs, sometimes this makes more room to enable extras as well.

With a lot of shows coming out in HD and especially movies, it's nice to have the option to watch them on Bluray. Some movies that come to mind are Summer Wars, Eva 2.22 or Garden of Sinners (despite the price).
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
While I watch the majority of anime on DVDs because that's how they're available/how I bought them, I have begun purchasing BD. Now, I don't plan on replacing any DVDs with BD (unless it's part of my 2 collecting series: Sailor Moon or Utena for which I'll buy practically anything), but new stuff I have been picking up in BD unless the price is substantially higher and I don't think it will provide benefit. So basically, if the series is pretty old, I won't consider BD unless the price is the same. Now if it's new, then I assume it was made for HD, so I'll get the BD even if the price is higher.
Echø

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
I would but.. most of my favorite anime don't have Blu ray box sets. Baccano!, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Mushi-Shi, none of those have Blu Ray box sets Sad

However I use my PS3 to stream netflix and when watching something like Gurren Lagann, clarity and audio should be top notch, and I would LOVE to have all of my anime like that. But alas.. oh well.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
I do, but due to most of my favorite series aren't yet (or will ever be in some cases) on Blu-Ray, the only series I've actually seen in Blu-Ray is Dragon Ball Z Kai.

There is a giant difference between non Blu-Ray disks and Blu Ray. Blu-Ray DVD's have much sharper, cleaner and modernized look. With regular DVD's, the picture is all right, not bad, but really nothing exciting to report.

Now re-mastered series are much better than standard DVD's, but still do not come even closely to Blu-Ray quality.

There are tons of series I'd like to see on Blu-Ray, but given the market these day's, it's nearly impossible to figure which series will receive the Blu-Ray treatment and which won't.

Don't get me wrong HD is fine for most series, but HD is also several years old and as I said earlier, the difference between the two is very much noticeable.

Hopefully the day will come where more and more anime DVD's are released in Blu-Ray form. I just hope sooner than later because eventually even Blu-Ray will be outdated and something better will replace it (probably not for another decade though.)
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Echø wrote:
I would but.. most of my favorite anime don't have Blu ray box sets. Baccano!, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Mushi-Shi, none of those have Blu Ray box sets Sad

They do have Samurai Champloo on bluray.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Echø wrote:
Hold up, buddy. Baccano! just had a Blu-ray box released in Japan last month--it comes complete with the dub and everything. You can import that if you want. Smile

Anyway, I'm been wanting to get into HD for months now. At this point, all I need is a player--I've already pre-ordered a couple of BDs/DVD+BD combo packs, so I'll be entering the world of HD very soon. Considering all that, though, I'm not sure what vote for.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see more anime BD especially stuff that is Native HD. Most of the stuff I have seen that is native HD looks really good. I wouldn't mind upscales if they are done right and look good as they can be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I have access to a DVD player with the capability to up-scale a standard definition video signal to a higher one, suitable for display on a modern television.

The results can be quite splendid, even in the case of older works.

My access to such technology is one reason for my avoidance of Blu-ray releases. More prominent reasons would be my current inability to play them, and moreover the fact that very few of my favourite titles have been granted a release on such a format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I do not watch anime on BluRay because I do not have a BluRay player, and a somewhat limited budget that I have allocated for other expenses.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
Someday, I will. Y'know, the day when it totally replaces DVD, much like when DVD totally replaced VHS.

In the meantime, I lack a player and an HDTV so I have no reason to bother right now, eh?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Y'know, the day when it totally replaces DVD, much like when DVD totally replaced VHS.

This will never happen, in my opinion. The introduction of high definition to the United States was so poorly mismanaged, the cost of full implementation is still too costly for most consumers. BD was purposely released to the early adapters, and they may be the only group who will see any benefit of Bluray.

The US still hasn't even hit the 50% market penetration of its televisions, and it's very unlikely they'll upgrade their DVD players at the same time (BD players, even at $100, are considered too expensive when compared to their younger and lower-priced counterparts).

DVD players still outsell BD players on a margin of 5:1 and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. People just aren't ready to spend hundreds on an "HDTV", especially when the bells and whistles certainly have an impact on viewing quality.

I had read an interesting write-up last week on the reasons why the penetration of HDTVs was slower than expected, and it certainly didn't help the world's economy was slapped around in 2008, though trends in purchases are starting to increase again.

However, the events of 2008 may very well kill off BD because now there's a push to get content online. With Amazon recently announcing its streaming services (Google a short while ago), the race is on to attract people to stream rather than own.

BD sales have yet to break the 40% market, which is mandatory in order to phase out the older technology, which is when DVD pushed out VHS (distributors won't risk losing the few sales they have left to push people to BD).

It is for this reason I will not own a BD player nor will I purchase BD content. It's just not worth it financially.

I'm also not very happy the anime industry is relying on upscaled products and selling them (usually at a more expensive price point) to consumers by telling them the content is better.

If it's not HD, it doesn't belong on BD.
CrownofWorms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Y'know, the day when it totally replaces DVD, much like when DVD totally replaced VHS.

This will never happen, in my opinion. The introduction of high definition to the United States was so poorly mismanaged, the cost of full implementation is still too costly for most consumers. BD was purposely released to the early adapters, and they may be the only group who will see any benefit of Bluray.

The US still hasn't even hit the 50% market penetration of its televisions, and it's very unlikely they'll upgrade their DVD players at the same time (BD players, even at $100, are considered too expensive when compared to their younger and lower-priced counterparts).

DVD players still outsell BD players on a margin of 5:1 and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. People just aren't ready to spend hundreds on an "HDTV", especially when the bells and whistles certainly have an impact on viewing quality.

I had read an interesting write-up last week on the reasons why the penetration of HDTVs was slower than expected, and it certainly didn't help the world's economy was slapped around in 2008, though trends in purchases are starting to increase again.

However, the events of 2008 may very well kill off BD because now there's a push to get content online. With Amazon recently announcing its streaming services (Google a short while ago), the race is on to attract people to stream rather than own.

BD sales have yet to break the 40% market, which is mandatory in order to phase out the older technology, which is when DVD pushed out VHS (distributors won't risk losing the few sales they have left to push people to BD).

It is for this reason I will not own a BD player nor will I purchase BD content. It's just not worth it financially.

I'm also not very happy the anime industry is relying on upscaled products and selling them (usually at a more expensive price point) to consumers by telling them the content is better.

If it's not HD, it doesn't belong on BD.
Well in a economy like this. Everybody is cutting back and not spending on anything like they did before the recession.

But with me I buy the BD sometimes. I mostly buy normal DVDs due to the price and that more anime is available dvd more so than BD now. I watch my dvds and bd on my ps3 and the upscaler makes my dvds look pretty good.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much only buy anime on bluray these days, except for much older releases or shows I'm almost positive won't get a bluray release. So yeah I watch anime on bluray all the time. I'm currently watching Casshern Sins and it looks and sounds fantastic on the format.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I buy the DVD's in the house and my roommate gets the Blu-rays. I, therefore, can watch his anime Blu-rays at home and bring my anime DVDs to a friends place if they don't have a Blu-ray player.

I might start my own Blu-ray collection in the future when DVDs start to die out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3