• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host Otaku Blogger/TV Host Danny Choo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Let me clear something up here. The fact that he e-mailed her and made all those ridiculous demands is what is stupid. It was a small convention, which is what I said above. He should know better then to expect so much from a baby convention. They could barely afford alot of the equipment used for hosting video panels. Anime Expo and Sakura con can afford VA's and if they want to pay them to attend then fine, whatever. That is good for the VA's and I have no beef with that whatsoever. I never said it was ridiculous for all of the conventions to have to pay for VA's to attend. He, however, should have known better then to be so demanding to a small, cheap, convention.

Mike Toole wrote:
You really, seriously don't like the guy because he wants to get paid? THAT'S the reason?!

No, I don't like how he so demanding. There are many other reasons I don't like him. He was such a tool in the CLAMP panel where he berated the fans who read the manga of Tsubasa Chronicle. And, again, his ego gets on my nerves.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense - and I've heard that same story from several other small cons.

Frankly I've heard so many stories about Vic's behavior at conventions that they all blur together at this point, and the strangest thing about your original story was that it seemed like you were angry with him for something that actually wasn't his fault.

I guess I must have worded it wrong then because that wasn't what I was upset about. I am fully aware that VA's need to make money using other methods because doing just voice work doesn't get them alot of pay. I just didn't like how he had to be a douche to a barely functioning convention that was hosted at a university. Thats all.

Oh and a minor correction. The con I mentioned had its last year in 2009, not 2010.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about the personality of an actor or Director is as long as their work is good. I certainly have enjoyed Vic's work in series like FMA and Ouran High School Host Club. Honestly I have seen more people with ego than the stories I have heard of Vic just on the internet. Just talk to a ton of people who write fanfiction, you would think they where the actual creator of the characters they're using.

I once talked to a guy on twitter who took any criticism as uncreative people who simply hated creative people. I then made a 4 page original short story and asked for his opinion. He never talked to me again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I could care less about the personality of an actor or Director is as long as their work is good.

Me too. Which is why I generally don't like Vic Mignogna.

I enjoy his douchey behavior, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Vic isn't an ass for demanding compensation - he knows what he's worth because other shows have paid him to be there. He does so many shows a year because he keeps packing panel rooms and autograph lines. There are people who will attend a show simply for their guest list. That's just knowing the business end of things.

So the stories of him being a jerk to con staff.....thats part of the package deal? Or just a bonus?

Quote:
That said, no, not all voice actors are charming wonderful people. Like in any line of work, there's a majority of nice normal folks and then there a handful of people who are basically tremendous douchebags. Some of the stories I could tell would curdle your blood, which is a tease, so I'll just give you some quick anonymous anecdotes of some of the things that have happened at cons. No, I will never reveal the people responsible for these anecdotes. Don't email me about it. No, the variable letters used are not "clues" and many details have been left out, but here's a brief taste of some of the unfortunate things that have happened at the hands of some of the few less agreeable VAs out there:

* [X] agreed to attend the birthday party of a down-and-out fan at the request of said fan's concerned father, only after demanding that they serve a certain kind of cake. When the time came, [X] blew off the party for a chance to perform on stage.

* [Y] interrupted another voice actor's focus panel, announcing to the room that [Y] was signing autographs at a table outside. The room cleared in the middle of the other VA's panel.

* [B], [A], and [S] among others, are known for attempting to sleep with their fans at conventions. This is a common practice at most cons, anime or not, to be sure, but the aggressiveness of some of these people is legendary (and particularly embarassing). One was even known for specifically sleeping with a fan cosplaying as a character they played. Think about the psychological implications of that.

This isn't an attempt to out anyone or spill dirt, but it's just an illustration that no, not all of them are super nice folks, but they are in the minority. The majority that I've met have been aces, and I think American voice actors are some of the friendliest people you'll meet in any industry where the creative talent interacts with the fans.

Oh, and wasn't he the man responsible for that GIRUGAMESH!! meme a while back?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

That was a video advertising Sakuracon.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Vic isn't an ass for demanding compensation - he knows what he's worth because other shows have paid him to be there. He does so many shows a year because he keeps packing panel rooms and autograph lines. There are people who will attend a show simply for their guest list. That's just knowing the business end of things.

So the stories of him being a jerk to con staff.....thats part of the package deal? Or just a bonus?

I find it to be pretty immaterial about correlating a guest's behavior and whether or not they have attendance fees or per diem in their contract. I don't think there is anything that excuses bad behavior on anyone's part - attendee, panelist, guest or staff - but the two issues really aren't related.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

I find it to be pretty immaterial about correlating a guest's behavior and whether or not they have attendance fees or per diem in their contract.

Yeah, the convention is paying him to do some panels and autograph sessions, so it's not generally going to be within the scope of their contract if he wants to sleep with his fans or be a dick to someone at a private party.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, Rukiia. Your initial post made it sound like the con approached him, rather than him contacting them and offering to appear, then mentioning his outsized appearance fee after the fact. The sad fact is, if you do any sort of entertainment or creative work, you spend a lot of time dealing with folks who are shocked, SHOCKED that you think you oughta get paid for your hard work. It's a sore subject with me, so I get hot under the collar when I see what sounds like that kind of entitlement.

I think the bottom line is, Vic can be a pain in the ass to deal with, but he draws crowds and entertains people, so he's going to keep headlining shows like this. As for Denny Choo, I think he writes well but I have the same concerns about his business practices and POV as Daryl does. Thing is, if AX is inviting him back as a guest of honor, I can only assume he was a hit last year. It's just that simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Sorry for jumping to conclusions, Rukiia. Your initial post made it sound like the con approached him, rather than him contacting them and offering to appear, then mentioning his outsized appearance fee after the fact. The sad fact is, if you do any sort of entertainment or creative work, you spend a lot of time dealing with folks who are shocked, SHOCKED that you think you oughta get paid for your hard work. It's a sore subject with me, so I get hot under the collar when I see what sounds like that kind of entitlement.

Its all good, Mike. It was my fault for not wording my statement properly. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding it caused. But yes, I know what you mean because there are people out there who think that certain people should do things for free. It would get me on edge as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Quote:
That said, no, not all voice actors are charming wonderful people. Like in any line of work, there's a majority of nice normal folks and then there a handful of people who are basically tremendous douchebags. Some of the stories I could tell would curdle your blood, which is a tease, so I'll just give you some quick anonymous anecdotes of some of the things that have happened at cons. No, I will never reveal the people responsible for these anecdotes. Don't email me about it. No, the variable letters used are not "clues" and many details have been left out, but here's a brief taste of some of the unfortunate things that have happened at the hands of some of the few less agreeable VAs out there:

* [X] agreed to attend the birthday party of a down-and-out fan at the request of said fan's concerned father, only after demanding that they serve a certain kind of cake. When the time came, [X] blew off the party for a chance to perform on stage.

* [Y] interrupted another voice actor's focus panel, announcing to the room that [Y] was signing autographs at a table outside. The room cleared in the middle of the other VA's panel.

* [B], [A], and [S] among others, are known for attempting to sleep with their fans at conventions. This is a common practice at most cons, anime or not, to be sure, but the aggressiveness of some of these people is legendary (and particularly embarassing). One was even known for specifically sleeping with a fan cosplaying as a character they played. Think about the psychological implications of that.

This isn't an attempt to out anyone or spill dirt, but it's just an illustration that no, not all of them are super nice folks, but they are in the minority. The majority that I've met have been aces, and I think American voice actors are some of the friendliest people you'll meet in any industry where the creative talent interacts with the fans.

I remember that hey answerman question from a while back, and I remembered how grossed out I was upon finding out that there were actually VA's that propositioned sex with their fans like that but I guess that says more about my naivete. I know zac didn't want to be a tease, but the biggest tease of all is not knowing which VA's were involved in those practices. I'd sure would like to know.

As for vic, I've seen him at 2 conventions so far and meeting him was like meeting any other VA: incredibly underwhelming (although I will say Johnny Young Bosch was pretty chill but that's another story). Is it just me or are die hard fans of some VA's completely obsessed with said actor like they're god or something Rolling Eyes I'll go to a VA panel wanting to know more about the roles said actor did and end up hearing long monologues about personal stories that happened in their life. No offense or anything, but I just don't really care? I don't have a mini vic god in my closet that I pray to every night and I haven't memorized his birthday or the size of his shoe. What's worse is it feels like the fans that have made a hobby out of digging up as much personal information about these actors are prioritized over the ones who simply showed up to hear more about his role as Tamaki in Ouran. I'm sorry I didn't make you a gift but is that any reason to give me the shaft in lieu of some fan who somehow know you traded in your hummer for a more fuel efficient car?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

<snip>
That was a video advertising Sakuracon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4

Quote:
This was the commercial for 2009. Sakura-con 2011 is April 22-24th 2011.

2009 commercial courtesy of Vic Mignogna! Enjoy! Sakura-Con 2009 April 10-12 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center www.sakuracon.org
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

I remember that hey answerman question from a while back, and I remembered how grossed out I was upon finding out that there were actually VA's that propositioned sex with their fans like that but I guess that says more about my naivete.

Any artist has their groupies. Isn't that why we wanna learn to rock the guitar? Laughing

kakoishii wrote:

I don't have a mini vic god in my closet that I pray to every night and I haven't memorized his birthday or the size of his shoe. What's worse is it feels like the fans that have made a hobby out of digging up as much personal information about these actors are prioritized over the ones who simply showed up to hear more about his role as Tamaki in Ouran.

Ha! You should check out Japanese seiyuu fans! They'd even memorize your current weight and measurements! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3