• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcing Anime News Network UK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
Good stuff... ^_^ ANN is one of my daily stops on the Internet and it's a good thing to have a localised version just f

Just out of vague curiosity, will there be intern positions for the UK site just as there are on the main one?

O-O~
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
nonjsensejack wrote:
lotta white nations here
UK, USA, Australia
Nothing for the poor third world countries?
Razz
Kimiko_0 wrote:
It's nice to see ANN expanding their coverage overseas, but why is this site for only the UK? Why not cover all of Europe?

I can't speak for the site or the rest of the staff, but methinks the language is a big concern. While most Germanic and Romance language users can read the website in English, native speakers of other languages wouldn't feel the site as accessible as sites using their native tongues (and I can assure you the average English proficiency of Taiwanese anime fans is below that of the general population in the same age group and education level). Translating the Encyclopedia and the review database -- arguably the two most valuable assets of the site -- into another language would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

I'd be happy to see an ANN.tw, but when ANN's Alexa Regional Traffic Ranks doesn't even bother have Taiwan listed I don't see it coming in a foreseeable future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Takuku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a UK edition to the site. Odd that I was thinking why isn't there one for the UK a few days back.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I can't speak for the site or the rest of the staff, but methinks the language is a big concern. While most Germanic and Romance language users can read the website in English, native speakers of other languages wouldn't feel the site as accessible as sites using their native tongues

I think you're underestimating people. European anime fans are used to getting their fix from imported N-American releases anyway.
Germanic+Romance languages already covers over half of Europe. Surely it's better to have a site in English than none at all?
ShinoMatrix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Nice to see a UK edition to the site. Odd that I was thinking why isn't there one for the UK a few days back.

You know, I was actually on the same boat. I'm staff at the Australia site and I've just wondered all of a sudden a couple of nights back that it can't only be Australia and US that this site could be specifically targeted to Razz
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
Good stuff Very Happy I guess this means ANN will keep us Brits more up to date on our DVD releases.

Could we also see more UK rights acquisition for your streaming content, perhaps? Wink
Ryo Chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
nice to see ANN get a UK version

even if you are trying to put me outta a job in doing so Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
This venture may work to my favour, to say the least.

I'm already noticing a few familiar user names emerging from the woodwork, so to speak.

The effects this division will bear on the streaming options available through ANN shall be awaited with interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
great news. Smile I always visit ANN anyway, but it's great to see that we will be getting info specifically for releases over here. At least now I won't have to dip my nose into the awful magazine that is neo anymore.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I think you're underestimating people. European anime fans are used to getting their fix from imported N-American releases anyway.
Germanic+Romance languages already covers over half of Europe. Surely it's better to have a site in English than none at all?

If European anime fans are used to getting their fix from imported N-American releases, they are of course expected to be used to getting their news and review fixes from websites written in English. Wink And my previous post was more directed at nonjsensejack's question.

Greetings from a poor third world country. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FMABleach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Now if they would get one for Canada that would be even more awesome. Mr. Green
amagee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of this new endeavor. Being an American studying in the UK, I am sometimes find it difficult to understand the anime industry in Britain. Hopefully this will bring me more up to speed.
Ryo Chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I'm a big fan of this new endeavor. Being an American studying in the UK, I am sometimes find it difficult to understand the anime industry in Britain. Hopefully this will bring me more up to speed.

don't worry, it's hard enough for us Brits to understand it sometimes, it's not just you Wink
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
UK has an anime industry? Colour me amazed!

Also I do hope that it covers the (albeit infrequent) bit of news from Ireland, we're too small to have our own site, and we're right next to each other, and speak English. Of course there is the infuriating tendency for stuff streaming or licensed to the UK to not apply to here...
citizenplain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Congrats to ANN for being able to expand their coverage, and congrats to my fellow anime fans in the UK for having their own dedicated news source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4