• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Employee Ranks Shrink This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Give it a month or two. Kodansha will buy them. Not like what they did with Vertical by just investing in them, actually buy them.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lillian Diaz-Pryzbyl was an excellent editor and a class act at Tokyopop. Hope another publisher picks her up soon. This long slow death of the manga industry in America is getting very hard to watch... Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I would have thought Hetalia would have stopped the sinking for a bit, but I guess I was wrong.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Give it a month or two. Kodansha will buy them. Not like what they did with Vertical by just investing in them, actually buy them.

If Kodansha or Mag Garden or Kadokawa Shoten buy Tokyopop, I hope they give Stu a good bonus to leave the company forever.

It should be enough for him to pay for his douchey haircuts, in any case. I`ve never understood why a 44 year-old middle-aged man acts like he`s a 16 year-old hipster, but whatever floats his float.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I just wish that Tokyopop would publish the rest of Aria so I could stop caring what happens to them. It's obvious they're run by an incompetent boob and unless he can be forced out, they're pretty much doomed.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor S, sorry if you already knew this—Aria 6 came out a couple months ago (end of December). So it's making a comeback—hopefully sales are decent so Tokyopop can continue publishing it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I know. I also know that there are still 6 more volumes to go, and the time between the releases of volume 5 and 6 was just over a year. Doesn't exactly instill me with a lot of confidence.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Why would they bother doing this?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

From the source:

Freelancer Daniella Orihuela-Gruber has been tweeting all afternoon about the shake-up. She reports: “There’s still Cindy Suzuki and a managing editor, but now the rest of editorial and most of design and production are freelance.”

Tokyopop has seen lots of waves of layoffs before, the last one about a year ago, when previous marketing manager Marco Pavia left, among others. According to Orihuela-Gruber, “Before Nov. 2008, it was a 100-person company. Afterward it was more like 30-50. Now it’s like 20-30 or something.”

Thanks, and wow...That's a pretty big jump.

After Hetalia and all, I began to think TP was making a comeback. Last spring, I was expecting them to die off during the summer. When they didn't and they started bringing back older titles, I thought that they might survive. I'm beginning to doubt that now, though they don't seem to be utterly destroyed or anything. (But why oh why do they waste money and resources on stupid ventures like those "movies" and such?) I wonder if the manga glut they had awhile back continues to hurt them. They weren't licensing a bunch of series and releasing them over the course of a few years; they were licensing and releasing in bulk.

If TP does die, I can only hope that the unfinished series will be picked up again and employees find new jobs quickly. Of course, most series would probably be dropped; TP has a lot of series that simply aren't selling or have been put on hold. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see where TP goes...
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Scormio wrote:
Why would they bother doing this?

They're getting into the NA manga business, why not get a bunch of people who already know what it's about? Stu Levy excepted, of course.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
10 to 1 odds this is related to the problems with Borders. That's my take.

Still, this is extremely sad to hear.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It should be enough for him to pay for his douchey haircuts, in any case. I`ve never understood why a 44 year-old middle-aged man acts like he`s a 16 year-old hipster, but whatever floats his float.

I believe he's going thru whats called a "Mid-Life Crisis."

Some buy a Corvette or Viper, some buy a boat. Stu Levy attempts to hit jailbait worse than Vic Mangina.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

Don't think it is just about the problems with Borders. Hands down, I personally think it is the quality of their product. It has tanked over the past year or two, plus they left quite a number of series uncompleted. Who would stick with a company with a poor track record like that.

The local independent comic book shop I get my manga through had returned almost all of their Tokyopop stock back to Diamond because it would not sell. They now only do special orders for Tokyopop titles. At least now they have more room for Viz, Vertical, Yen, and others that do sell off the rack.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
daggerbob wrote:
adam_omega wrote:

Don't think it is just about the problems with Borders. Hands down, I personally think it is the quality of their product. It has tanked over the past year or two, plus they left quite a number of series uncompleted. Who would stick with a company with a poor track record like that.

The local independent comic book shop I get my manga through had returned almost all of their Tokyopop stock back to Diamond because it would not sell. They now only do special orders for Tokyopop titles. At least now they have more room for Viz, Vertical, Yen, and others that do sell off the rack.

It's a variety of problems. They lost several big licenses (Initial D, etc.), Stu Levy is wasting money on stupid narcissistic penis wagging "projects," the way TOKYOPOP has slapped fans in the face ("Giffenize" Battle Royale? The f***?), quality control issues, trying hard to be "Hip" and cool, the whole Rising Stars of Manga/OEL Manga Bullcrap....the problems have been mounting for years now.

Theoretically speaking, TOKYOPOOP should've either filed for bankruptcy already (namely Chapter 7), or run Stu "Dj Milky" Levy out and fix the messes he made and salvage the company.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
the whole Rising Stars of Manga/OEL Manga Bullcrap....

Considering that a fair number of them (more than one or two) have moved on to other publishers and continued doing well, I think it shows that program at least had potential.

Doesn't bode well for all the titles they just starting returning from "hiatus." At least it's only freelancing the work, that way it is still possible to ramp up for the bigger releases and slim down between.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6