• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Annual Seiyū Award Winners Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching live on Nico.

Congrats to all the winners!

But WTF!? No best lead actor!? How can that be???
It's the award I'm most interested in too.....
This makes me think once again that the results are rigged.
CG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect Nakai to win. He's good, but with just Zorro, no...

I was wishing for Koyasu Takehito. His line-up lately has been very versatile.

Oh, and I was shocked they didn't just give the lead actor to Namikawa Daisuke. With Kazehaya from Kimi ni Todoke and the Prince from Level E, it's been practically his year.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for Satomi Satou (who I enjoyed enormously in her roles as Ricchan/Normal-tan/Aria... those three roles show her enormous range) and for Minorin getting a nod for her singing talent. I had to do a double-take when I found out it was her singing the Ga-Rei Zero opening.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
I agree with some of the results, but not the majority. How is it that Yui's and Ritsu's seiyu get awards, but Youko Hikasa (Mio) and Ayana Takeyatsu (Asuza) don't? And don't even get me started on Kana Hanazawa not getting any notice when she's been in a ton of anime recently, many of which were staring roles (Kanade in Angel Beats!, Tsukimi in Kuragehime, Anri in Durarara!!, Kuroneko in Oreimo, etc).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
And don't even get me started on Kana Hanazawa not getting any notice when she's been in a ton of anime recently, many of which were staring roles (Kanade in Angel Beats!, Tsukimi in Kuragehime, Anri in Durarara!!, Kuroneko in Oreimo, etc).

Oh I know! I was really expecting Kana chan to win something and was surprised when she didn't. *voted for her for Supporting Actress*
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kuroku Shirai had one of the most grating voices I've ever heard. I'm very surprised she'd get an award after doing that.
CG wrote:
Didn't expect Nakai to win. He's good, but with just Zorro, no...

And we haven't seen Zorro for ages. Perhaps because of the movie?
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
Good lord.

Seriously. This is no longer a "seiyuu award", it's a godamn popularity contest on which actor is the most good looking, or which character is the most good looking.

Wait...Jun Fukuyama won last year...so, I guess it's been a disgrace for a while now, huh...? =_=
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
These types of awards tend to be popularity contests, which I noted on another forum a while back...

Meikai Daigaku Aniken Circle ni Yoru Seiyuu Enquete! "Koibito ni Shitai Josei Seiyuu" wa? (Meikai University Anime Club Seiyuu Survey! "What Voice Actress Do You Want to be Your Lover?")

Earlier this year, the Meikai University Anime Club conducted a survey of 500 people in front of the Akihabara store of Animate - Japan's largest retailer of anime, manga and games - on Chuuoudoori, the main street in the Akihabara district of Tokyo, the otaku capital of the world.

The survey asked, "What voice actress do you want to be your lover?"

The Top 10 for 2011:

01. Aki Toyosaki (80 Votes) Age: 24
02. Minako Kotobuki (46 Votes) Age: 19
03. Minori Chihara (44 Votes) Age: 30
04. Aoi Yuuki (38 Votes) Age: 18
05. Ayana Taketatsu (36 Votes) Age: 21
05. Haruka Tomatsu (36 Votes) Age: 21
07. Rie Tanaka (30 Votes) Age: 32
08. Nana Mizuki (29 Votes) Age: 31
09. Kanae Itou (22 Votes) Age: 24
10. Youko Hikasa (19 Votes) Age: 25

K-ON!!'s massive popularity among Japanese otaku apparently helped propel four of its voice actresses - Aki Toyosaki (Yui Hirasawa), Minako Kotobuki (Tsumugi Kotobuki), Ayana Taketatsu (Azusa Nakano), and Youko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama) - to first, second, fifth and tenth places, respectively, with Toyosaki winning in a landslide.

Youth also seemed to play a major role in choosing what voice actress, with seven of the top ten selections being in either their teens or twenties.

Only three female seiyuu in their thirties - No. 3 Minori Chiharai (30), No. 7 Rie Tanaka (32), and No. 8 Nana Mizuki (31) - ranked in the Top 10.

Going by comments by some of those surveyed...

Aki Toyosaki, Minako Kotobuki, Aoi Yuuki, Ayana Taketatsu, Haruka Tomatsu, and Kanae Itou are cute ("kawaii"; "kyuuto")...

Minori Chihara is beautiful, an otaku's ideal woman...

Rie Tanaka exudes sensuality and - how can one put it? - sadomasochistic appeal ("I want to be verbally and/or physically abused by her [voice and character]" type of remarks one often sees on Japanese forums and threads), alluding to a number of characteristic roles she has been strongly identified with, such as Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome, Li Qiang (Li Chiang) in CANAAN, Sayara Yamanobe in Mnemosyne, and most notably of all, Suigintou in Rozen Maiden...

And so on...

Only three female seiyuu in their thirties - No. 3 Minori Chihara (30), No. 7 Rie Tanaka (32), and No. 8 Nana Mizuki (31) - ranked in the Top 10.

Here are the results for the Top 10 for 2008 in Meikai University Anime Club's seiyuu survey asking the same question, "What voice actress do you want to be your lover?":

01. Minori Chihara
02. Aya Hirano
03. Halko Momoi
04. Yui Horie
05. Ami Koshimizu
06. Ai Nonaka
07. Eri Kitamura
08. Nana Mizuki
09. Miyuki Sawashiro
10. Rie Tanaka

Only three female seiyuu from the 2008 Top 10 list - Minori Chihara, Nana Mizuki, and Rie Tanaka - made the 2011 Top 10 list.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
CG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Wait...Jun Fukuyama won last year...so, I guess it's been a disgrace for a while now, huh...? =_=

I disagree with your chagrin with Jun Fukuyama there, but I won't argue on that. Preference is subjective.

But it was Daisuke Ono who won last year. Just saying so that the Sebastian fans won't throw a protest.

Yup, I totally agree with the Kana Hanazawa bruhaha (haha, it rhymed!). She's been incredibly versatile in the past years and it's atrocious she hasn't even gotten the award. was K-On that big to render Durarara, Zakuro and Occult Academy (among others) unnoticed!?

Another snubbed seiyuu: Mai Nakahara. Her impressive performance as Zakuro in the eponymous title totally broke her typecast so far.

But I don't completely scorn this year's awards. Miyuki Sawashiro definitely deserved to be recognized (although I was rooting her to be supporting actress, particularly with Yano Ayane). Same goes with Mayumi Tanaka, Minami Takayama, Junko Takeuchi, Nobuhiko Okamoto and Rikiya Koyama.

@Siegel Clyne, thanks for the enlightening comment. Maybe the fact that these awards are still quite new accounts for that: they haven't considered recognizing talent yet, and are still making themselves popular. But why do you think no male lead was awarded this year? Didn't Kazehaya bag the popularity contest? What about Night Nurarikuo? If Beelzebub was adapted earlier, would Katsuyuki Konishi get it?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
CG wrote:
If Beelzebub was adapted earlier, would Katsuyuki Konishi get it?

He didn't even get anything for voicing Kamina...
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Many congrats to Kazuya Nakai, Satomi Arai, Satomi Satou, and Mayumi Tanaka! All very deserving winners.

Kana Hanazawa got robbed by Aki Toyosaki. This I boo.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Many congrats to Kazuya Nakai, Satomi Arai, Satomi Satou, and Mayumi Tanaka! All very deserving winners.

Kana Hanazawa got robbed by Aki Toyosaki. This I boo.

More like Nana Mizuki was robbed. Heartcatch Precure is awesome. I felt, however, that Ayana Taketatsu should have taken this award. After her massive popularity from K-ON!!, she got lead roles in MM! and OreImo this past fall and I'm sure a couple other recent shows.

lol at no best lead actor. It's true though that most actors this year were terrible. May as well as given Nobuhiko the award since Usui in Kaichou wa Maid-sama! was hilarious.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSS!!!! Satomi Arai finally won!!!! I've been voting for her every year in the Overseas award every year! She's finally getting the attention she's deserved since Mermaid Melody as Coco. Congrats, my favorite seiyuu!
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
You might be a dub fan if the only person you know is the person who voices some of your favorite characters, which in this case, is Aki Toyosaki and Aya Hirano.

I'm happy for Toyosaki. She's shown a range on her this year and she's bound to do more great things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Aki Toyosaki shows range? I've only seen her in a handful of shows but she usually sounds the same to me. Bonburi from Otome Yokai Zakuro was probably showed the most. Must be difficult though to play a brain dead character like Yui as well -cough- Anime dazed.

But Satomi Arai...really? I've seen her in Railgun, Okami-san, and To Love-Ru(if that counts). When she wasn't going girls love I guess she wasn't that bad in Railgun... but man her voice can be very grating. I cannot believe they also mentioned her being in Okami-san as the narrator, pretty sure almost all of us hated her in that role in the forums.

I also think Kana Hanazawa would have been a lot better choice than Aki Toyosaki :\.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2