• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Employee Ranks Shrink This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. It's gone through many permutations. Then again I remember the Amerimanga days. OEL manga sounds so artificial, such a obvious marketing construct. Yet that's what it should be. Artificial, gimmicky. It's a construct to make people so obsessed with the Japanese word for comics realize that it's okay to read comics that aren't from Japan. Comics, graphic novels, manga, manhwa, manhua, bande dessinée, the funny pages. It's all the same art form. As Harvey Pekar said, they're just words and pictures on a page. You can do anything with words and pictures. No need to let these silly labels confine your creativity.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

ZeroGee wrote:
Quote:
Levy's a horrible puslibher who thinks.. well.. He wishes he was Charlie Sheen.

Full of coke and on his way to becoming the next John Belushi?
He is on a drug. And that drug's name is Stu Levy. Or is it DJ Milky? Or does he just snort the magic of manga into his brain? Manga isn't an art style, or a way of publishing.. it's a life style.. it's the drug your life gets high on.. a drug he's so high on.

I was thinking about dead, as in Sheen will be as dead as Belushi.
Possibly where TP may end up.
But I suppose that perhaps Levy and Sheen both have huge egos so I guess that is a good comparison. Wink
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Yeah. It's gone through many permutations. Then again I remember the Amerimanga days. OEL manga sounds so artificial, such a obvious marketing construct.

Actually, what I was trying to point out was that "OEL manga" is not a marketing construct at all--it's a press/blogger term.

Here's the story from the horse's mouth:
http://irresponsible.patachu.com/2005/09/no-blood-for-oel.html

And the first recorded usage:
http://irresponsible.patachu.com/2005/04/pop-of-tokyo.html

Quote:
No need to let these silly labels confine your creativity.

You're completely right. In the end, it's all about telling the best story you can in your given medium of choice.

-Adam
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
True. I'm mixing up the term with what it describes. It did begin as a journalistic term, but one trying desperately to describe this artificial niche TokyoPop was trying to carve out and market for itself. I guess when blogs are trying to come up with a decent term for a marketing gimmick like calling American books by a Japanese name, the ends up ringing as hollow as the trend it's describing. Fans and haters soon latched onto it. Now the term seems largely forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6