• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed XIII Released on Film/Net/BD Simultaneously

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Wow. This seems like a convoluted release.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Sentai Filmworks/Section23 gets this for R1.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Maaya as Deunan? AWESOME! Will be at the cinema Day 1 for both of these Smile
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realise that this project was so far along. Being a fan of Masamune Shirow, and Appleseed, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
timesteel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
this looks awesome but seriously when is shirow gonna get off his lazy butt and finish the manga it's been like 20 somethin years since the last book came out. He needs to stop doing Art books and focus on something good like more Appleseed or a new series.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
hmm.. so they're doing 13 direct to video episodes and the two movies are just compilations but it's too bad it looks like they're still using singles (i.e. first volume = 3 ep). But the simultaneous streaming idea sounds interesting. Maybe they're using that as the new TV substitute, given that production committees actually have to pay lots of money to broadcast most shows, hence the need to bring in sponsors (or more members into the committee).

Hopefully we'll get a simulcast or maybe they'll have it subbed as well.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Interesting, so this thing's now more OVA series-like straight to video with some net/streaming on the side and not TV.

Wild release with a little bit of everything, especially with a first half compilation film coming out before the full episodes that make up that part of the story and the extra depth it should get in full eps. With all these releases planned for it I'm a bit surprised the story is only going to be 13 and not a "bigger" 26 if it's getting two full compilation movies, though maybe also so that the series can be like 13 high-ova/mini-movies in production values, can't wait to see what they have planned.

Either way, can't wait, love the GITS and Appleseed anime works and sounds like a great staff too, glad to hear the mech designer is back from the first CG film to do more awesome CG mech work since this series is being done in CG too and that had some lovingly rendered mecha.

Speaking of Shirow, now seems like a really good time for a new season of GITS SAC or some other new GITS series from Kamiyama and input from Shirow now that its been some time since the last one and Eden of the East is complete. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Shirow will have any involvement. So this is going to be different from the previous two. Now I wonder if this installment will be closer to the original material. And what the hell is up with that title? So what are we copying Square now? It's all about the XIII's.

Well, I'm all for anything Appleseed, curious to know which CG studio will be responsible. Since 2 surpassed 1 (with John Woo's help) in graphics. Looking forward to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1